By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii's success ultimately hurt HD console sales? or help?

how would it help??? of course Wii sales will hurt HD dramatically because it will really slow down the transition between the old and new

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I was trying to add-on to your point ...

I agree with you and think that it is foolish to assume that someone is going to "invest" $200+ on a videogame system to play unconventional games and then just (suddenly) spend another $200+ to buy another videogame system to play conventional "core" gamer games. It is likely that their tastes may evolve from unconventional to crossover games and eventually towards the "Core" gamer games, but the Wii's library already is one of the strongest for crossover games and when these gamers are ready for the "Core" gamer games the Wii should have more of these games than these gamers will ever play.

Ah ok. I wasn't really sure what you were saying, I misread it.

grimygory said:
bdbdbd said:
kingofwale said:
Ibrute said:
kingofwale said:
>In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

Can I use that as my sig? Please?

well in 5 years new systems will most likely come out,you think that the consoles will still be hot in 2013

I actually do, low price and HD movie/multimedia playback will keep PS3 (or even 360) alive well pass 2013.

I agree. It's definately going to keep PS360 alive just like DVD playback is keeping PS2 alive and DVD and multimedia playback is keeping XBox alive. Just look at it, the only consoles, which focus was only on gaming lost last generation. And price do have a lot to do with consoles success, just look how much having a lowest pricepoint had to do with sales. Now that you mentioned the multimedia, look how much superior Wii is to 360 when it comes to internet capabilities.

Wii has better internet capabilites?!

Bro, what Wii do you own?

Xbox Live has better features and online service than the Wii. The Wii is starting to increase its capabilities, but right now Xbox Live is better than WiiWare.

At first i was talking about internet, but since you want to expand to online (=took the bait), fine with me. I own a Wii with Shop Channel, Internet Channel, Message Board, Everybody Votes Channel, News Channel, Forecast Channel, free online multiplayer and Mii Contest Channel. So, what kind of XBL are you using bro?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Actually your opinion is sort of right. The Wii is bringing in more gamers and as they get hungry for more games the HD consoles (PS3/X360) will be there to provide them with that experience.

Games like Gears of War, Halo 3, and etc.

lol.... so, You think that, lets say some middle aged businessman (simply saying, a pure new casual gamer) who bought a toy, called Wii, to play some games like Wii sports, Wii play, maybe a Carnval Games, Brain Age... or at most Guitar Hero III eventually is going to evolve into GOW gamer?!?!? Sorry, but for me it's some twisted logic there... I just can't see it happen

Sure it will, it happened to me. I just played platform games most of my life. I have owned the SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBA and I'm about to get a Wii soon.

My logic is I rarely play games, but playing Gears of War, Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Command and Conquer, GoldenEye. Those games really got me into gaming.

So your logic that twisted, bro.

Sorry, but your'e (and all of other people here) a bad example :) There are no true casual Wii-era gamers on this forum. why? becouse they don't give a shit about video games. Let me put it another way. there's a topic "which game have the best grafics" - uncharted is most common choice. If you show that game to a Wii casual gamer it wouldn't impress him at all, but... if you show him a Wii fit it would blow his mind. get the picture? This people want only that kind of entertainment, and nintedo is the only that can deliver suitable content. btw. if I may ask you.. how old are you? if you think that "middle aged businessman " will evolve the same way You did... just curious:)

You still don't understand my logic do you.

I have a little brother and little sister who rarely plays games, they are more into clothes and running around outside and playing their DS's. When I asked them to play Gears of War, they jumped up and played the game. For a minute they said the game was difficult, but as they got use to the game they wanted to play more games similar to it, for example Halo 3.

As more people get into gaming, their gaming tastes will change depending on their lifestyle and demographic. You just can not come to a conclusion thinking that every Wii owner is simply going to play the Wii and nothing else. The majority of others will in doubt want a PS3 or X360 or even future consoles that involve hardcore games.

I am 21 by the way.

yep bro... still can't understand your logic :) ok, last try :) "As more people get into gaming, their gaming tastes will change depending on their lifestyle and demographic. " we are very close :) You and you're siblings started gaiming very early, but think for the second about those who haven't. A golf, bowling, or beseball game. Yes, I can imagin some 50year old playing MLS... but not a Halo, GOW or Uncharted! When we will be at that age... yes. We could enjoy that type of gaming, but definitely not people who started their adventure with games at that age. Face it, they don't have a time to explore games. Don't know if you can understand my point of view... if not, we just have to wait a few years and see what happens :)

I understand you bro, so we shouldn't expect that much hardcore games to appeal to that crowd then, since 50-year old are playing bowling and golf and etc.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

I'm going to let everyone know for the last time, for those that were quoting me.

I have nothing against the Wii, second I'm camping out next Sunday at a local Circuit City to get a Wii. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PS2, Gamecube.

I want a Wii to complete my experience of this gen. I have nothing against no systems. No fanboy of none. I was just saying as Radziel pointed out already. 50-year olds are not going to convert to hardcore games. But for those that like-otherwise never played video games before and bought a Wii to get a feel of games, will eventually go after the big name titles, especially if companies start bringing similar titles to other platforms.

I for one started out with Super Mario. Loved the series for years, but eventually couldn't stop gaming and wanted every system. And eventually started to play all types of games and genres.

What I'm trying to say this topic that I'm discussing might target the little kids that bought Wii's, these children as they get older will eventually go for the big dogs (PS, Xbox brand) real soon. Since Nintendo is doing a excellent job bringing in more gamers (young and old) into the mix.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I most likely misunderstood the topic.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

Around the Network

i think in 5 years the next systems will be out
wii 2 , ps4, xbox 720, plus the wii 2 is said to have HD,

grimygory said:
I'm going to let everyone know for the last time, for those that were quoting me.

I have nothing against the Wii, second I'm camping out next Sunday at a local Circuit City to get a Wii. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PS2, Gamecube.

I want a Wii to complete my experience of this gen. I have nothing against no systems. No fanboy of none. I was just saying as Radziel pointed out already. 50-year olds are not going to convert to hardcore games. But for those that like-otherwise never played video games before and bought a Wii to get a feel of games, will eventually go after the big name titles, especially if companies start bringing similar titles to other platforms.

I for one started out with Super Mario. Loved the series for years, but eventually couldn't stop gaming and wanted every system. And eventually started to play all types of games and genres.

What I'm trying to say this topic that I'm discussing might target the little kids that bought Wii's, these children as they get older will eventually go for the big dogs (PS, Xbox brand) real soon. Since Nintendo is doing a excellent job bringing in more gamers (young and old) into the mix.

Two mistakes. First mistake is the first bolded area. If they are bringing "similar" titles to other platforms, doesn't that mean that similar titles to the ones bringing brought to the other platforms are already on the Wii, why would they go for another console, when they can get the same experience on the Wii? And it's not like the Wii won't have big name titles.

The second mistake is the second bolded part. Are there no "big dogs" on the Wii? Not yet maybe. And you (or at least Crazzy will) might point out that the PS3 has FFXIII, the PS3 and 360 have GTA4, the PS3 has MGS4. Those are simply games from last generation that have brand name. And those games came started as new IPs, and became huge, the same could happen for new IPs on the Wii.

And I don't think you offended anyone. It's just that people are trying to point out why you are not 100% correct. Yes, some people will follow a similar path as you. Buy a Wii, play non-casual games, move up to crossover games, and then to the more hardcore games. And then when they move to hardcore status they will go all out and buy at least one HD console to go with their Wii. But these types of people are in the minority. For all the good games that the GameCube and Xbox had, only 20+ million people found it worthly to get those consoles, and I bet probably 30 million of those people had a PS2. That's only a forth of the total userbase of the PS2 that had a second console. That's a rough estimate. It's just noteworthy that as more people buy Wiis as their primary console, more devs will put their titles on the Wii, and fewer titles will go to the HD consoles. Monster Hunter 3 is already a good example of this trend. By the time most people would be willing to go "big," most "big" games will be on the Wii anyway.

In conclusion, will some people buy an HD console for FF13 in addition to the Wii? Of course. It's just that not enough people will do that to say that the Wii bringing in more people will help the HD consoles.

Stever89 said:
grimygory said:

Two mistakes. First mistake is the first bolded area. If they are bringing "similar" titles to other platforms, doesn't that mean that similar titles to the ones bringing brought to the other platforms are already on the Wii, why would they go for another console, when they can get the same experience on the Wii? And it's not like the Wii won't have big name titles.

The second mistake is the second bolded part. Are there no "big dogs" on the Wii? Not yet maybe. And you (or at least Crazzy will) might point out that the PS3 has FFXIII, the PS3 and 360 have GTA4, the PS3 has MGS4. Those are simply games from last generation that have brand name. And those games came started as new IPs, and became huge, the same could happen for new IPs on the Wii.

And I don't think you offended anyone. It's just that people are trying to point out why you are not 100% correct. Yes, some people will follow a similar path as you. Buy a Wii, play non-casual games, move up to crossover games, and then to the more hardcore games. And then when they move to hardcore status they will go all out and buy at least one HD console to go with their Wii. But these types of people are in the minority. For all the good games that the GameCube and Xbox had, only 20+ million people found it worthly to get those consoles, and I bet probably 30 million of those people had a PS2. That's only a forth of the total userbase of the PS2 that had a second console. That's a rough estimate. It's just noteworthy that as more people buy Wiis as their primary console, more devs will put their titles on the Wii, and fewer titles will go to the HD consoles. Monster Hunter 3 is already a good example of this trend. By the time most people would be willing to go "big," most "big" games will be on the Wii anyway.

In conclusion, will some people buy an HD console for FF13 in addition to the Wii? Of course. It's just that not enough people will do that to say that the Wii bringing in more people will help the HD consoles.

Bro, your taking this Wii topic to seriously. I pointed out what could happen.

Agreed that in 5 or at most 6 years the next gen systems will be out. Just too much drop in price of chips to not put one out.

A couple of givens. HD will still keep expanding into the marketplace. And a lot more people will have it. It seems only logically that all systems will go with some form of HD, tho the Nintendo one will be either equal to or less than MS or Sony's. To make its box cheaper.

Second thing learned, I hope, is the price of the new boxes will be more in line with each other. While Sony might try to come out as top of the line, their lowest price model won't be hundreds of dollars more than the cheapest, most likely, Nintendo, product.

I hope MS learned a bit about quality control, but that is always a bit tricky, especially if you feel the need to rush to the market place with your product.

Now for the unknowns.
1. How much is the casual love affair with the Wiiremote going to die out in any meaningful way? Was it just the complexity of playing the games that were keeping a lot of them away or will most of them either a) decide that they can do a more complex controller or b) they have their WiiSports and that's all that they want?

My opinion. Yes, a lot will drop back out of gaming. But a large number will stay in, doing it off and on throughout the month. But they will want games that a) are somewhat easy to win and b) don't offend them.

There is a reason why Nintendogs, BrainAge, Animal Crossing sell to non-traditional gamers. Because they are easy, satisfying and don't offend. The M-rated and T-rated games are almost harder to play, and can have elements that offend certain casual players. Some will never 'graduate' to the hardcore games, just as few gamers, after trying a cup of tea will ever 'graduate' to wanting to go to a high society tea party.

2. How will the 3rd party developers react? They will have to decide whether to make casual games or more hardcore ones. Eventually if they make too many crappy ones, and the good ones can't be seen, it will drive both casuals and hardcore away, like what happened to Atari in the 1980s. Or some will see that there still is a need for some quality, even if the game is just a 'Cooking Mama'. Not a must have game, for sure. But an okay one if you like that sort of thing.

3. How the console makers react. Will Sony and MS go strongly after the casuals as Nintendo has? Will they be successful or will the shift be too much for them? Will Nintendo's shift to more casual games be too much for hardcore and they drift more and more away? Or will the new experiences, have hardcore with a Sony or MS as their main console, but perhaps as it is turning out, a Nintendo system as a secondary one.

So, yes, Nintendo will ultimately help HD sales, since it has brought in a large base to gaming. Whether it helps Sony and MS this generation or next is more unknown.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

grimygory said:
Stever89 said:
grimygory said:

Bro, your taking this Wii topic to seriously. I pointed out what could happen.

He can take it as seriously as he wants. It's a discussion and as long as he's not flaming anyone that's fine. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of what he is true.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"