By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii's success ultimately hurt HD console sales? or help?

ClaudeLv250 said:
grimygory said:
Stever89 said:
grimygory said:
I'm going to let everyone know for the last time, for those that were quoting me.

I have nothing against the Wii, second I'm camping out next Sunday at a local Circuit City to get a Wii. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PS2, Gamecube.

I want a Wii to complete my experience of this gen. I have nothing against no systems. No fanboy of none. I was just saying as Radziel pointed out already. 50-year olds are not going to convert to hardcore games. But for those that like-otherwise never played video games before and bought a Wii to get a feel of games, will eventually go after the big name titles, especially if companies start bringing similar titles to other platforms.

I for one started out with Super Mario. Loved the series for years, but eventually couldn't stop gaming and wanted every system. And eventually started to play all types of games and genres.

What I'm trying to say this topic that I'm discussing might target the little kids that bought Wii's, these children as they get older will eventually go for the big dogs (PS, Xbox brand) real soon. Since Nintendo is doing a excellent job bringing in more gamers (young and old) into the mix.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I most likely misunderstood the topic.

Two mistakes. First mistake is the first bolded area. If they are bringing "similar" titles to other platforms, doesn't that mean that similar titles to the ones bringing brought to the other platforms are already on the Wii, why would they go for another console, when they can get the same experience on the Wii? And it's not like the Wii won't have big name titles.

The second mistake is the second bolded part. Are there no "big dogs" on the Wii? Not yet maybe. And you (or at least Crazzy will) might point out that the PS3 has FFXIII, the PS3 and 360 have GTA4, the PS3 has MGS4. Those are simply games from last generation that have brand name. And those games came started as new IPs, and became huge, the same could happen for new IPs on the Wii.

And I don't think you offended anyone. It's just that people are trying to point out why you are not 100% correct. Yes, some people will follow a similar path as you. Buy a Wii, play non-casual games, move up to crossover games, and then to the more hardcore games. And then when they move to hardcore status they will go all out and buy at least one HD console to go with their Wii. But these types of people are in the minority. For all the good games that the GameCube and Xbox had, only 20+ million people found it worthly to get those consoles, and I bet probably 30 million of those people had a PS2. That's only a forth of the total userbase of the PS2 that had a second console. That's a rough estimate. It's just noteworthy that as more people buy Wiis as their primary console, more devs will put their titles on the Wii, and fewer titles will go to the HD consoles. Monster Hunter 3 is already a good example of this trend. By the time most people would be willing to go "big," most "big" games will be on the Wii anyway.

In conclusion, will some people buy an HD console for FF13 in addition to the Wii? Of course. It's just that not enough people will do that to say that the Wii bringing in more people will help the HD consoles.

Bro, your taking this Wii topic to seriously. I pointed out what could happen.

He can take it as seriously as he wants. It's a discussion and as long as he's not flaming anyone that's fine. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of what he is true.

Bro, I understand he can take the topic seriously. I point out what could happen, he point out what could happen on his part too.

My opinion the Wii will help the HD consoles in some way.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

Around the Network

I'd say hurt. There is going to be about 0 chance of PS3 and 360 having a similar combined install base then PS2+Xbox in my opinion.

Most people only own one console a generation, and I don't see this changing. If the people who already play videogames own one console per generation i don't see the newbies suddenly spending even more money on their new hobby for a new system.

What most people fail to realize... is that you... guy who reads this site are the EXTREME minority when it comes to videogame consumers.

Most people (not counting the new casuals) don't even dream of owning more then one system, and never have.  Even when the systems drop to extremely low prices. 

I think the biggest reason if people buy second console is that the someone has a friend with different console, with quite a few games, than the person has. My brother is a good example of that. He had PS2 and one time he was shopping for a game, i happened to be in the same store and asked him that why wouldn't he buy the GC MKDD bundle. Price of the bundle and memory card was a little more than 2 PS2 games and my brother got access to my decent GC game library, which had mostly GC exclusive games.
So i think most people that go into multiple consoles (outside the people who would buy more than one console anyway), get their second console to be able to borrow games from their friends, instead of HD (or whatever).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Sorry it probably won't happen that way, you may be able to get kids interested in other games, but the adults probably not so much, and the older they go the less likely they'll be interested in the games on HD consoles

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

grimygory said:
I'm going to let everyone know for the last time, for those that were quoting me.

I have nothing against the Wii, second I'm camping out next Sunday at a local Circuit City to get a Wii. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PS2, Gamecube.

I want a Wii to complete my experience of this gen. I have nothing against no systems. No fanboy of none. I was just saying as Radziel pointed out already. 50-year olds are not going to convert to hardcore games. But for those that like-otherwise never played video games before and bought a Wii to get a feel of games, will eventually go after the big name titles, especially if companies start bringing similar titles to other platforms.

I for one started out with Super Mario. Loved the series for years, but eventually couldn't stop gaming and wanted every system. And eventually started to play all types of games and genres.

What I'm trying to say this topic that I'm discussing might target the little kids that bought Wii's, these children as they get older will eventually go for the big dogs (PS, Xbox brand) real soon. Since Nintendo is doing a excellent job bringing in more gamers (young and old) into the mix.

Sorry dude, by then Nintendo will be the big dog

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Renar said:

So, yes, Nintendo will ultimately help HD sales, since it has brought in a large base to gaming. Whether it helps Sony and MS this generation or next is more unknown.

I agree with this statement

Kasz216 said:

Most people (not counting the new casuals) don't even dream of owning more then one system, and never have.  Even when the systems drop to extremely low prices.

This is so true. Even with the GC reaching $99 after it's 3rd year, only 20 million people picked it up. Does anybody have any information on how many people owned only a GC or Xbox last generation? I would be surprised if the number of people who only owned a GC or Xbox was more than 20 million, if not as low as 10 million. That means of the 116 million PS2 users, somewhere between 20 and 30 million of them owned a second console. An "attach rate" if you will, of 17%. That's why it's so important to get a console out and get a large userbase quickly, because so few people will ever get a second console. People say that the Wii is selling only on price and that it's more of an impulse buy than anything else. Why then, didn't the GC sell so much better once it reached $99? For that price, you could have some really great games, and I'd almost pay $99 just to play SSB:M (though I didn't).

And like I said, it's not that nobody from this new group of gamers will stick with only the Wii. It's likely that some will also buy a PS3/360. That's just how it is, and I really hate it when people seem that it has to be one way or the other. It's just that the number of people that will end up buying a second console after becoming a gamer due to the Wii will be very small, and won't help the HD consoles enough overall for the number to really matter.

All in all, like with what Renar said at the top of this post, it probably will help HD consoles, but it may not help them this generation.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
grimygory said:

Sorry dude, by then Nintendo will be the big dog

Bro, Nintendo is the "big dog" this generation :)

I have nothing against Nintendo. Nintendo is what got me into gaming. I have owned the SNES, GBC, N64, GBA, GC, and I have a Nintendo DS.

I just wanted to say some info on my side what I thought, but obivously my side has been shot down, I have no problem with that. I'm not angry, but I agree with everyone here about the Wii.

It could/or could not, it's a 50/50 percent chance, but I lean more to it helping the HD consoles, not now but more than likely in the future.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

bdbdbd said:
I think the biggest reason if people buy second console is that the someone has a friend with different console, with quite a few games, than the person has. My brother is a good example of that. He had PS2 and one time he was shopping for a game, i happened to be in the same store and asked him that why wouldn't he buy the GC MKDD bundle. Price of the bundle and memory card was a little more than 2 PS2 games and my brother got access to my decent GC game library, which had mostly GC exclusive games.
So i think most people that go into multiple consoles (outside the people who would buy more than one console anyway), get their second console to be able to borrow games from their friends, instead of HD (or whatever).

Agreed, but also, I think what happened with us is not that unusual either.  We started out with a GameCube, but as time when on and fewer games were make for it, and the PS2 got so many games, and the PS2 also got cheaper, we went ahead and got that system as well.   If we had started with the PS2, I'm pretty sure we would not have gone the other way.

Going to this generation, we have a Wii.  Even if/when we get HD in a few years, I don't think that the price nor the game selection (ie > 1000 games) will be enough to make us want to buy a PS3 or an X360.  The only possibility would be that BluRay movies are just as cheap as DVD and that much better in quality, and that the PS3 is still just as cheap or nearly so, as any other decent BluRay player.  But that's a lot of 'ifs' that has to happen, which the PS2 was able to do much easier.

Why > 1000 game selection?  No, we won't be buying them all, but with our PS2 selections, we wanted ones that were very different than the GC ones, but still very good.  So a large selection is needed to get down to the 10+ games or so.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.