By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Steam OS will probably be huge...

Overall this will not be a game changer in the OS market, simply because a lot of businesses will continue to buy what they are familiar with and that is Windows.

BUT

For gaming this could have huge potential in the PC market. IF done right. Valve still has 2 announcements to go, so lets wait for those and see the complete picture of what Gabe has in mind.

Around the Network
Naninho said:
richardhutnik said:
Naninho said:

What is very possible here is that SteamOS battles Android to control the TV microconsole market that is coming on.  Will see how it goes, but it is possible companies thinking of doing Android systems like OUYA, will go SteamOS instead.  Time will tell how it goes.  And Valve gets its cut as the software market for being the gatekeeper.

Yeah, I can totally see other companies selling inexpensive microconsoles with SteamOS preloaded. Afterall, Steam's retro and indie catalog is so vast that it just makes sense!

I guess these are bad news for the Vita TV, and practically a death sentence to OUYA...

Maybe, or the future console wars could end up being a battle of Android vs SteamOS.  I am not sure it is a death sentence for OUYA though, but it could be Android OS blunted.

I would love to have the SteamOS on something like a Raspberry P.I., could you imagine running something like Crysis or Metro or even Civilization 5 on a $35 computer at full 1080P on the TV in the lounge room? :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

loy310 said:
Everyone is hyping the hell out of this OS. Sure steam is great but the price for a decent PC aint great. SteamOS wont lower the price of a PC in fact it might cost them to increase in price. It will remain a hardcore thing or a nich, simple because gaming PC are way too expensive.

A free OS might increase the price of a PC...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Yeah, who actually uses their computer for things other than gaming and multimedia leisure :^)

Just look at steam numbers to see concurrent gaming numbers. This will be big but it isn't a game changer. Those committed enough to play PC in their living rooms are already doing so without this. I'm one of those very individuals. When you have DotA2 as the most played game amongst the Steam community by a long mile, it's obvious that this OS aint changing bugger all. Might take a few hundred thousand sales away from MS. That's about it.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
I agree. This could become big. I am ready to drop Windows as soon as this releases if I see more positive things about it

so you only use your pc for gaming then...

OT

no it wont.  huge is a rather silly thing to say to be honest.  It will be niche... at best

Agree.

This only has a maximum selling potential for those 50 million or so Steam users and even those, wont all use it.

Im seeing an install base that will cap out somewhere between 20-30 million users ( real ones) and for an OS, that is niche.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Eddie_Raja said:

Some people really don't understand that the Kinect is litterally half of the price.  Without Windows I could make an X1 for $250...

Now a PS4 for $400... That would be impossible!

I would sure love to see your build...cause you need 7790 and quad AMD at around 3.2...only way I managed to go under $400 is without DVD drive.

For PS4 build somewhere around $450-500...

I'm ready to dual boot my PC alongside window 7 :) I'm eying some good performance ssd to dedicate gaming with steam OS on it.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

For anyone who is not a teenager and either in University or the workforce, you'll understand why this isn't going to be very big.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Minecraft creator loved this news.

Markus Persson: Valve is saving the entire gaming world, but I all I can do is mumble passive aggressively about crowbars.

Markus Persson: Seriously, this overly drawn out steambox announcement thing is amazing news. Win8's been worrying me. <3 valve

https://twitter.com/notch