By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Steam OS will probably be huge...

ethomaz said:
Guys... the Steam already works on any Linux... so you don't need the SteamOS for that.

What SteamOS can do to the Linux world is increase the number of titles available... and more use of OpenGL over DirectX.

Exactly.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

I love how you guys underestimate Valve when steam is as big as it as.

Also lol @ people saying a $400 comp with steamOS can't match the Xbox one.

Naninho said:

Huge news! Wow!

It reminds me of when Google announced Android back in 2007. Everyone was expecting them to announce a new phone to compete with Apple, but instead they presented the OS that today controls around 80% of its market.

This is also more significant and ambitious than a single video game console. Now I'm sure they will release multiple versions of the Steam Box in the coming years, just like Google does with the Nexus.

And you know what the best part is? It's free! Which means that other manufacturers like Alienware, Asus and MSI will sell their gaming PCs at a much lower cost!

What is very possible here is that SteamOS battles Android to control the TV microconsole market that is coming on.  Will see how it goes, but it is possible companies thinking of doing Android systems like OUYA, will go SteamOS instead.  Time will tell how it goes.  And Valve gets its cut as the software market for being the gatekeeper.

I dunno, MS already has way too much of the market in OS. Cant see that changing.

not to ruin your maths but i assure you 90% of budget builds aren't using a legit copy of windows.

Why spend 100$ less on hardware for something most people will download?

Not advocating piracy, just telling it like it is.

Around the Network

Everyone is hyping the hell out of this OS. Sure steam is great but the price for a decent PC aint great. SteamOS wont lower the price of a PC in fact it might cost them to increase in price. It will remain a hardcore thing or a nich, simple because gaming PC are way too expensive.

richardhutnik said:
Naninho said:

What is very possible here is that SteamOS battles Android to control the TV microconsole market that is coming on.  Will see how it goes, but it is possible companies thinking of doing Android systems like OUYA, will go SteamOS instead.  Time will tell how it goes.  And Valve gets its cut as the software market for being the gatekeeper.

Yeah, I can totally see other companies selling inexpensive microconsoles with SteamOS preloaded. Afterall, Steam's retro and indie catalog is so vast that it just makes sense!

I guess these are bad news for the Vita TV, and practically a death sentence to OUYA...

Daisuke72 said:
I love how you guys underestimate Valve when steam is as big as it as.

matchAlso lol @ people saying a $400 comp with steamOS can't the Xbox one.

Some people really don't understand that the Kinect is litterally half of the price.  Without Windows I could make an X1 for $250...

Now a PS4 for $400... That would be impossible!

think-man said:
I dunno, MS already has way too much of the market in OS. Cant see that changing.

Android, PS1, and Tablets say hi!

Naninho said:
richardhutnik said:
Naninho said:

Yeah, I can totally see other companies selling inexpensive microconsoles with SteamOS preloaded. Afterall, Steam's retro and indie catalog is so vast that it just makes sense!

I guess these are bad news for the Vita TV, and practically a death sentence to OUYA...

How?