By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Steam OS will probably be huge...

fatslob-:O said:
People just build a PC. This isn't going anywhere.

What does that have to do with steam OS?

OT: I'm one of the few people on earth who loves Linux, but it has A LOT of problems when it comes to compatibility. The Steam OS could work for someone who only wants to game but most people use a PC for more than just gaming, giving the Steam OS a very small target demographic. If Valve manages to solve all the compatibility problems then I think this has a lot of potential, but we still don't know much about it so it's hard to say atm.  

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
fatslob-:O said:
People just build a PC. This isn't going anywhere.

What does that have to do with steam OS?

OT: I'm one of the few people on earth who loves Linux, but it has A LOT of problems when it comes to compatibility. The Steam OS could work for someone who only wants to game but most people use a PC for more than just gaming, giving the Steam OS a very small target demographic. If Valve manages to solve all the compatibility problems then I think this has a lot of potential, but we still don't know much about it so it's hard to say atm.  

I don`t see how this will take off.

This sounds great to me.

1) I am a HUGE Debian Supporter. It is a very solid backbone for this OS to be based on.

2) While I like Ubuntu (Think Fedora/Redhat and Ubuntu/Debian), I really dislike the Unity Interface. So I am glad didnt go this route).

3) PS3 Controller Support in Linux is basically perfect if you have BlueTooth. (I prefer this controller, shortcomings and all)

4) On my Gaming PC, I only play games. Depending on Support, goodbye windows. (I do all my browsing/netflix/youtube/work on my Surface RT Table via RDP)

5) I was about to build another PC anyway, so not needing to buy an OS sounds good to me.

I am looking forward to more information on this, as I am very curious how "Open" this Open Sourced OS will be.  This will not keep me from buying any Consoles (X1 or PS4) but might end up costing Microsoft an OS sale.

So Gabe must be REALLY afraid Microsoft is going to lock down Windows apps like how mobile phone apps are.

This would be my main OS. I already have Linux Mint dual installed with Windows 7 on my PC. The only thing keeping me from using linux as my main operating system is its relatively low software support (I also use mathematica, maple, and other CAS software.)

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
So Gabe must be REALLY afraid Microsoft is going to lock down Windows apps like how mobile phone apps are.

I'm pretty sure he just hates Microsoft.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Guys... the Steam already works on any Linux... so you don't need the SteamOS for that.

What SteamOS can do to the Linux world is increase the number of titles available... and more use of OpenGL over DirectX.

osed125 said:

I'm pretty sure he just hates Microsoft.

Something happened some years ago when he tried to put Steam over Live and MS denied... and Gabe after hate Sony and PS3 started to love them and hate MS .

It's like everyday there is less and less reasons for me to buy a new console. lol

Leadified said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Leadified said:

Unless I'm missing something here. http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

It doesn't look like SteamOS is going to be an OS like Windows or OSX but more an expansion of Steam Big Picture. I think you still need Steam on a PC to acutally run the games on your TV.

You are:

"It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines."

"In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing"

Ohh okay that makes more sense. It sounds interesting, I think it's too early to tell if it's going to be a sucess or a flop but it has a lot of potential.

Exactly.  I said probably.  Then again everything Valve touches turns to gold, so if anyone can do this they can...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]