By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Steam OS will probably be huge...

Naninho said:

Huge news! Wow!

It reminds me of when Google announced Android back in 2007. Everyone was expecting them to announce a new phone to compete with Apple, but instead they presented the OS that today controls around 80% of its market.

This is also more significant and ambitious than a single video game console. Now I'm sure they will release multiple versions of the Steam Box in the coming years, just like Google does with the Nexus.

And you know what the best part is? It's free! Which means that other manufacturers like Alienware, Asus and MSI will sell their gaming PCs at a much lower cost!

This has nothing like Android 2007 inception. Google was a giant company, a software powerhouse with some of the best achtectures and engineers.

"Much lower cost"?!?!?!

What the h&##?

Top tier PCs are sold for 10 -20 folds the OS licence fee.

Around the Network

I´m all for competition in the PC-OS business (it likely won´t threaten MS...like...at all, but it could be good for the consumer to have a choice...it could even be less ressource intensive than Windows h8 )

Eddie_Raja said:

^^^^ This! ^^^^

Actual computers are a dying breed.  So, introducing a new OS for people to program for is about as bad an idea that can really be brought up.  Hard core gaming rigs are already a small market niche, now they want people writing code for games to make a version for that?  Not going to be successful.  If google had done it, maybe, as they can throw $500 million at it and make it happen. 

Gaming PC sales have gone up steadily the past few years, and Nvidia alone sells ~40 million graphics cards PER YEAR.  PC gaming is not, and has never been niche.

So, 40 million is alot?  Out of that $0 million video cards, how many are into packaged PC's sold by the likes of Dell or HP?  Probably more than 85%.  So, the people buying the packaged PC aren't only playing games on them.   It is a niche market.  Entusiasts go back to the well often, so they buy 3-4 times or more hardware than the average person - but the OS = NO.  Do you know how many smartphones are going to be sold this year alone - 1 BILLION.  Gabe better make his steam OS mobile...

Eddie_Raja said:

Valve announce they are launching their own OS.  No this isn't Linux, this is  Steam built from Linux.  Here I will break down why this is massive:

Nothing agains the SteamOS but it is a Linux... a Linus distribution customized by Valve.

I didn't understand you comment? Can you explain please?

Eddie_Raja said:

Dark_Feanor said:
1- Linux distributions have been free for 20 years now. 

But none have had the backing and focus needed to make it "The" diffinitive version.  Valve can and will do that.

- There is no 500 PC build that can match XOPS4 for the next 3 years.

Ok well then the sky isn't blue.  Look around man there are far too many posts on VGchartz clearly showing how cheap PC gaming is for you to not be able to find it yourself.

2- No developer will make AAA budget games exclusive for SteamOS.

So?  It doesn't need to be exclusive.  Get out of the "Console Mentality"

- Windows won´t vanish day to night. It´s a 2bi install base.

Who said windows will vanish overnight?

- If SteamOS is not multasking it will fail.

What does that even mean? "Not Multitasking"

- PC elitists wan´t to use mouse and keyboard.
LOL they will still be able to.

Steam took 8 to 10 years to reach todays level (duhhh...).

Yep, and it will take 8-10 years for SteamOS to be firmly cemented as THE gaming OS.  That doesn't mean it won't be just as good as Windows in 3 years...

You must have much faith in Valve.

They will have to succeed where Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo and others have failed.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Naninho said:

Huge news! Wow!

It reminds me of when Google announced Android back in 2007. Everyone was expecting them to announce a new phone to compete with Apple, but instead they presented the OS that today controls around 80% of its market.

This is also more significant and ambitious than a single video game console. Now I'm sure they will release multiple versions of the Steam Box in the coming years, just like Google does with the Nexus.

And you know what the best part is? It's free! Which means that other manufacturers like Alienware, Asus and MSI will sell their gaming PCs at a much lower cost!

This has nothing like Android 2007 inception. Google was a giant company, a software powerhouse with some of the best achtectures and engineers.

"Much lower cost"?!?!?!

What the h&##?

Top tier PCs are sold for 10 -20 folds the OS licence fee.

Of course Valve is nothing like Google, but clearly you didn't understand the analogy...

And "much lower" is always relative, I know that. But Microsoft charges partners between $80 and $100 per Windows 8 license and that's at least a considerable expense.

It could be if they can sort out the driver and software support issues that Linux has traditionally had. But they aren't easy issues to overcome.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

If by huge you mean tiny then I agree with you.

I can see this only competing on the console market... mostly because of steam sales(cheap games!), huge, ever expanding library and potentially affordable gaming PC, if they get the Steambox right.

As a mostly PC gamer, I don't see any allure in it, I can just hook up my gaming laptop to the TV and use Big picture to navigate to games. Any notion of streaming games to a box/OS just spells "complicated" to me - even more complicated than hooking a laptop to the TV :)

People just build a PC. This isn't going anywhere.