By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Impressions! (somewhat long read)

where are you??? plz reply!!!!!!!

Around the Network

Nice insight. However, Snake's move that shoots a rocket to the floor beside him has tremendous knockback. He can throw grenades with range from short to long distance, he also has a homing missile that you can control and cancel at any point. Atm he seems to be the master of mid - long range mindgames.

Here is a youtube account that explains character movesets: http://uk.youtube.com/user/Infil

One thing I forgot to mention is that this game feels a lot slower than melee when you play it. It feels like a cross between the original and Melee. Also, the way your character pulls off chain hits is a lot like the original, people can't escape (or not easily) which is a GOOD thing. Overall almost everyone feels stronger and heavier, yet floatier...and slower.

We didn't go into stage builder.. >_
Final Smash balls come out A LOT on very high, especially if you only have those on. I'd say like every 15 seconds. :P

Luigi's DOWN B is the tornado spin..not the cyclone (which he used to have). The tornado spin does multiple hits, and when you do it you can go REALLY fast across the stage and cover a lot of distance. Luigi does not have the vacuum, and to be honest I'm glad...his moves are amazing as they are.

Ness plays carbon-copy of Melee as far as I can tell, besides just being better all around. It seems that almost every character is now stronger and better at multiple hit combos.

Lucas....oh sweet Lucas. I was hard pressed to admit that he's better than Ness..and even still I want to play more with both to figure out everything. As it stands right now, he's just amazing. He motions and attacks are so beautiful and fluid, it's eye candy. His attacks are some of the coolest in the game, aesthetically and physically. He is pretty close to Ness in running speed and move execution speed. His attacks are definitely different though. His projectile attacks are really sweet. The thunder can hit multiple times without going out (which is great for getting the smash ball) and it has really big knockback. Fire doesn't do a chain hit like Ness, instead it does one big blast, which has decent hit % and knockback. PK Freeze is really fun to use on enemies trying to get back to stage, because not only does it move fast, but it freezes the opponent every time it hits them, and it's not a cakewalk to break out before Lucas sends you to your doom.

Marth plays almost exactly like his Melee counterpart, but his sword is a bit shorter. Because of this, it feels like his swings are a TINY bit faster, but don't quote me on that! He's the only character I feel that hasn't slowed down, which gives him a huge advantage over other characters who have gained considerable weight and slowness. His B charge attack isn't cheap like it was in Melee, and edge-guarding with it is really hard, but his smash A, among other attacks, work just as well. In Melee, if you hit someone with his UP B attack later in the attack, it barely had any knockback, and I felt that it had more knockback in this game, which is good!

Oh and another thing worth noting. Pikachu is a lot better in Brawl than he was in Melee. His B UP (thunder) has HUGE knockback...and it is almost exactly like thunder in the original smash game. In Melee it appears from a cloud, not from the top of the stage, so you can't cheap KO people that are really high. In Brawl the thunder once again comes from the very tops of the stage, so you can KO anyone who's up there. I can see a lot of people spamming this move because it's insanely powerful, has huge knockback, and makes for nice cheap KO's. The only redeeming factor for the rest of us is that now we can air dodge to avoid the thunder, and then attack pikachu. Remember, in the new game you can air dodge and then still jump and attack after that, or dodge again. It really feels natural, and now I can't imagine going back to play Melee where you can't do it.

Nice impressions but there's a few things I don't understand.

You didn't like Bridge of Eldin because it was boring? Yet you liked Battlefield and Final Destination. Could you explain?

And what was wrong with Mario's moves? He seems pretty strong to me.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

dear lord, I want so bad. At least I have no more heroes to hold me over for a little while.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

I refuse to believe Snake is not "all that".

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Well like I said (or at least I think I did) I just probably don't know how to use snake, since I've never seen him played before. I will say though, his guided missles are horrible. They move so damn slow when turning!

I found Eldin Bridge boring because it's just a piece of flat land, and I hate most courses like that where you only get KO'd off the top, or pushed off the side. Yes the rider does come by and blow a hole in the middle, but no one ever falls and dies down it because it's too easy to recover, and there are almost NO spike moves in Brawl. Not even Mario's Plumber Punch spikes anymore, or falco's Down A in air. I like the battlefield because of it's multiple platforms and beatiful background and changing scenery, which really shines in this game. Also Final Destination is always a fun level. While it's just a big flat stage, it has it's edges. Edges to me were always a really fun part of battling. I'm sure many people will love Eldin Bridge, but it's just not my style. It reminds me of the Mushroom Kingdom level in Melee (with all the blocks) and the Game&Watch course from Melee.

The reason I dislike Mario the most is because of his DOWN B attack (which is utterly worthless under every scenario) and his plumber punch. His plumber punch doesn't spike anymore, and I used to love doing that attack on recovering enemies. Overall Luigi just feels stronger and faster than Mario. Luigi also has nice range, which mario doesn't. Mairo's Moveset is also lacking for me. I just feel like Nintendo really didn't do a good job to make him good. I'm sure people will find amazing techniques for him..but I personally don't like him.

Falco.. While I love his move makeover phsycially and aesthetically for the most part, I feel that he isn't as great as other characters. Fox really seems to outshine him. I still think Falco is a cool character, but since everyone else has gotten all these great upgrades and he hasn't, he's kind of lagging. All would have been okay if his Down A in air was still a spike move, but it's not. His Down-tilt A on the ground doesn't even send enemies flying high anymore. Poor guy...I'm sure some people will make great use out of him though.

Lucario is a strange character. I still have no idea how to wall cling....but besides that, he seems like a cool character. While some of his ground moves aren't that great, his aerial attacks are where he shines the most. His ball charge doesn't have great knockback, even if the enemy has high damage, which sucks. His aerial attacks definitely make up for that though. His UP B doesn't do any damage which makes him very vulnerable to attack. It is fast though. He's definitely better than Mewtwo IMO.

Sonic..I really thought I was going to love Sonic, and that he was going to be one of my mains, but I wasn't that excited over him after playing a while. I really am a Sonic fanboy, so it really surprised me how much I don't care for him in Brawl. Most of his attacks are just variations of his spinning attack..or random kicks and punches. Nothing really shines out as unique and cool. His homing attack is cool, but it takes some time to charge. Obviously he's a very fast character. One of the best things about him is that he can attack while doing his B UP jump. He's the only character who doesn't become paralyzed after their B UP. His Smash DOWN A is a great move with awesome knockback and his DOWN A aerial kick is pretty fun to do.

You want to see what a good Snake player can do? (keep in mind he's playing Marth, still one of the best in the game):

Thanks for the impressions. The reason the game feels slower is that they made it floatier to increase the amount of aerial combat. 

Apparently you aren't aware of Lucario's "gimmick."  As his damage percent increases, his knockback and damage dealt increases.  His Aura Sphere will charge up to gigantic canon size when he's over 75% or so, and it will have massive knockback.  Lucario's damage and knockback caps when he's at 250%.  Video:

Naz, people aren't so lopsided in Brawl that you can still single out Marth as "the best" when people play him as if it's some type of handicap. Yeah he's easy to master because he's fast and has great attacks, but for as good as he is, other characters have gotten huge makeovers to be just as good. He's not crazy/broken like he was in Melee at all. In fact my list of best and worst characters are merely as far as my game playing is concerned. Other people will have different results of course, as we all think and play differently, and enjoy different styles of combat.

Nice video though, I see Snake seems pretty good. It's a shame none of us understood his style enough to play as him well.

EDIT: Wow I did not know that about Lucario. That's pretty awesome!

good to hear that marth is still somewhat good and not completely nerfed