By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Impressions! (somewhat long read)

Alright guys, as some of you know I played the game at my friend's house last night. We played every stage, and every character. We ended up playing for 10 hours straight, before I drove home at 2am in the morning.

I'm going to take this time to answer 3 specific questions I was asked already. If you guys want to, ask me anything you want and I'll see if I can answer it.

Pokemon Trainer

PK trainer is actually a really great character, I LOVED using charizard. Lets start off with Suirtle. He's definitely fast, and he has a killer UP B attack (waterfall). He was a great character to just run around with and constantly pelt people with attacks. When you're using him, you don't need to play defensively at all, you need to charge at your oponent like crazy to catch them off guard with your speed. Now Ivysaur...I didn't really like him, he seems odd. He definitely has some nice attacks (like his razor leaf) and his vine attacks are strong. The vine attacks have a really short length though, so hitting from a distance is hard. His jumping isn't that great either, as his grapple has small reach. I didn't play as him often, after I initially checked him out. Charizard on the other hand, is great, especially during free for all with more than 2 players. He's strong, jumps high, and has some really fast attacks with great range. I don't know what to say bad about him! I loved using him. One of the only downsides to PK Trainer is that it takes about 2 seconds to switch out your pokemon, and when you do switch them, someone can easily get a hit on you before you can move. The best time to switch would be when your opponent is dying, or far away. Also, every time you die your next pokemon in line will be the one to appear when you come back to stage.

Fox

Fox is great in this game. I never mained him in Melee, or learned any of his fast uber attacks with wavedashing and shining and whatnot, but I loved playing him in this game. His combo attacks are easy to pull off, and he really racks up the damage fast on his opponents. He's fairly strong as well. His reflector doesn't give the amazing knockback that it does in Melee, so you'll have to develop new ways to combo with that. His forward A in the air was really fun to use, because you were almost guaranteed to hit the person with every kick Fox does in that move. Fox's and Falco's tilt-down A attacks don't have great knockback in this game compared to Melee, which is one of the only things I miss about them. Fox overall was one of my favorite characters to use, and I got really good with him pretty fast.

Stages

There are way too many stages for me to rank all of them, but I'll give you guys my most favorite and least favorite ones. The ones I don't mention were somewhere inbetween. If you want to, ask me about a specific stage in this thread and I'll specifically talk about that one.

My favorite stages were Picto Chat, the animal crossing stage, battlefield, Final Destination, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, and Delfino Plaza. They were the most fun to battle on, and were the most fun to look at/watch the scenery, especially Yoshi's Island since it keeps changing seasons and colors.

The stages I liked the least were DK's stage from Melee (with all the water), Rumble Falls, Elden Bridge, and Distant Planet. I really thought I was going to like Distant planet, but once I played it I hated it. The stage is really small, and I dislike fighting on the slanted platform to the left. The reason why I hated DK's Melee stage was because of the swimming added into this game. You can swim when you get in the water in this stage, and EASILY get back out, which makes the stage really boring in my mind. The whole fun part about that stage was having a hellofa time with the water, and now it's simple as pie to get out and live. Elden Bride was just really boring for me. There wasn't anything wrong with this stage, I just didn't like it. I dislike Rumble Falls because I don't like moving stages that move up and down. I'm sure some will love this stage, it's just not my style.

Oh and just for the record, I'll name a few of the best/worst characters in my opinion.

BEST: Pokemon Trainer, Toon Link, Link, Sheik, Fox, Wolf, Luigi, Marth, Samus, and Lucas. Lucas' UP smash attack is ****ing insane. It's got a huge hit area, making enemies right beside you and even 10 feet above you fly up to their deaths in the air. KO's almost anyone who has 80% or higher. Samus feels a lot better in this game IMO. You never need to use her bomb recovery because she will always (from what I've seen) make it back to stage unless she's KO'd off the side. Marth's sword length may have been gimped, but he's still an amazing character. Luigi is the character that really surprised me, and he's definitely going to be one of my mains. His (mario) tornado does multiple hits which enemies can't escape, and then launches them in the air. Everything about him has been upgraded IMO and he's amazing to use. I love this guy, and his final smash is hilarious! Pokemon Trainer gets one of the top spots merely because he has the ability to switch between a fast and small player, to a huge, strong, fast, high jumping character with plenty of range. Well Charizard doesn't jump THAT high, but his multiple jumps are definitely handy. I'd take them over one higher jump.

MY MAINS: I'll most likely main as Samus, Link, Fox, Lucas, and Luigi. The only character I used to main was Link, but now I'm in love with so many other characters as well! Wolf will definitely be getting a lot of playtime as well.

WORST characters: Snake, Mario, and Dedede are the only ones that really stick out in my mind as bad. Mario's Down B is horrible, and the rest of his attacks aren't that great. Snake....oh god, I don't even know what to say. I suppose I just don't know how to use his style, but I hated playing as him. He's really slow, his jumps are slow and low, and his smash attacks don't make any sense. Take this for instance, his SIDE smash attack is a missle that shoots straight into the ground beside him. His UP smash attack lobs a missle in the air that leisurely comes back down to explode, and the problem with that is that no one will be dumb enough to stand where the missle is landing. He has no attacks that have any good range for enemies in front of him. As for Bowser, there isn't much to say. He's definitely better than he was in Melee, without a doubt. Even still though, I feel like he isn't fast enough to land any hits on fast opponents. He also has no range (which Ike and PLENTY of). I'm sure there will be amazing Bowser players, but for me he sucks.

And the awards for cheapest characters that noobs can master and spam easily to annoy the hell out of the rest of us:

Pit and MetaKnight.

Alright so I know a lot of you probably have countless questions you want answers for in this game, so ask away! I'll do the best I can to answer your questions.

Around the Network

^well..thanks for the analysis. Good to see Pokemon Trainer isn't that bad cause many ppl expected it would be terrible...

Post more! I want to know about stage builder & FS's Do you feel the stage builder is limited, & how often do Smash Balls come out on "very high"?

Post your impressions on Lucas and Ness

"Weird, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, so weird is acceptable to me."

Brawl Code:  1934-0329-3819 Pm me if you added me

and post marth too (i mained him in melee)

Around the Network

What are some cool items that haven't been announced?

Pikachu only has three or four hats, and the wizard hat isn't one of them. The relatively boring alternate colours, and lack of alternate outfits on any character other than Wario is my biggest complaint with Brawl. Of course that's a very minor point, which just shows how awesome the game is.

Sounds like you mostly liked the way the old characters have been tweaked, but didn't quite get the hang of the really different new ones yet (Pokeyman guy being the exception). I'm sure you'll find out cool ways to play them eventually. Heck, it took even me a while to realize how Mr. Game&Watch is the best character in Melee. =P

What is Luigi's down+b move? I've been thinking he'll use the vaccuum cleaner from Luigi's Mansion, but nobody's confirmed it yet.

^Game and Watch isn't the best character in melee? Have u ever seen the tiers? Game and Watch is in the middle - not the top!

luigi's down b is the tornado spin i'm pretty sure i know for sure he does not hae the vacuum with him. I just played the game yesterday at my friends house too forlik 10 hours lol but we couldn't go on single player and we didn't get wolf,toon link, and jigglypuff but i have to say ike is pretty overpowered in my opinion and i didn't think snake was that bad my friend who sucks at smas bros did alright with him so he is not terrible. my mains for he game were pit and sonic altough i used sonic alot more.and deedeedee is crazy powerful killed bowser with one shot with side a smash and bowser only had like 20 damage. The feeling when a smash ball appears is really intense and me and my friends all got up and like started yelling when trying to get it. Too me i felt the level editor was very limited. Wasn't as good as i thought it was going to be but oh well at least its in there.

Sonic, Falco & Lucario reviews