By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Impressions! (somewhat long read)

Alexandervgc said:
1) Is this game better than Melee?
2) Does Subspace Emissary mode work well?
3) The final roster is 35 characters?
4) Is it better to play with GC controller, wii controller or Wii/Nunchuk?
5) How many stages are in THE game?
Thank you!

1) IMO it is, it feels more full and more balanced.
2) Actually i'm having a blast with Subspace Emissary... It's very cool (slightly repetitive) but the whole story aspect of it rocks.
3) Yep.
4) Actually i find myself enjoying the Wiimote only option, but to put things in order: GC Controller, WiiMote, WiiMote/Nunchuck combo.
5) 41 stages.

Around the Network

Ugh...ignore this post. Sorry about that.

Ike Impressions: Ike is a really fun character to play. While he's really slow (and I mean reeeaaally slow) he is really fluid with his motions, and when you land an attack with him it's insanely powerful. His regular A combo where he does 3 hits is really great, and the last hit has some serious knockback for a regular attack. His B sideways is great for recovering fast, and great for hitting opponents fast. When a fast character starts beating all over Ike, just get out of the way and do his regular A combo. It's the best way to knock your opponent back in his place. Ike's upward tilt attack has insane knockback, and is one of my favorite killing moves. If you land any of his smashes and your opponent has 60% (depends on who the opponent is) you will most likely kill them, or get really close to killing them. Ike is a really fun powerhouse to use. He has great range with his long sword as well. Ragnell ftw! His UP B attack is really great on enemies that are up in the air. He throws his sword so damn quickly, your opponent only has a split second to react, which they never do in time. The only downfall about Ike is his poor recovery, so you need to battle most of the time in the middle of the stage. Overall I loved using him. Every time I landed a big attack with him my friends and I would laugh, because it is just too powerful and awesome.

My overall impressions of this game....well, I love this game without a doubt. The new air dodging feels so natural and so perfect in Smash Bros that I can't believe we ever lived without it. Melee feels really dated. I tried going back to play Melee yesterday after having played Brawl, and to be honest I didn't have that much fun. Brawl was better in every single way IMO. The best part is that in Brawl, there are numerous characters I love being, while in Melee I only liked playing as a few. The way everyone plays in Brawl is so much cooler, and so much fun. I'm not going to sell Melee when I get Brawl, but the times I go back to play it are going to be small. To be honest I haven't been that excited while playing most games nowadays, but playing Brawl made me feel really giddy inside. This game just completely rocks IMO.

@Alexandervgc:

1) You might not feel the same way when you play Brawl, as everyone has a different opinion, but I LOVED Brawl so much more than Melee. If you're one of the people who really likes wavedashing and all those advanced techniques, and you feel that without those in the game it isn't fun, then you probably won't like Brawl as much. If you are anyone else, you're most likely to enjoy it a hundreds times more than Melee! Even for those people who are obsessed with advanced moves will probably be satisfied with the game. Who knows, maybe someday they'll find new ones.
2) While I didn't play SSE when I was at my friend's house, he has been having a blast with it. He loves it for what it is.
3) Unless you count Sheik, ZSS, and PK as 5, then it is 39. Besides that, yes it is 35.
4) I liked playing with the gamecube controller. I had a hard time adapting to the Wiimote & nunchuck. I didn't try the classic controller, but my friend has. We all prefer the gamecube controller.
5) As I Like Bacon has said, there are 41 unless you count the mushroomy kingdom as two (since it can load two different stages).

Wow - 41 STAGES!!!!!!!! + ones u can create - SO MUCH REPLAY VALUE
Seems like SSE will be quite fun and has a good story!

Did you get much of a chance to try out Diddy?? if sowhats he like, what type of character is he and whos he most similar to?

Around the Network
gamingdevil said:
Alexandervgc said:
1) Is this game better than Melee?
2) Does Subspace Emissary mode work well?
3) The final roster is 35 characters?
4) Is it better to play with GC controller, wii controller or Wii/Nunchuk?
5) How many stages are in THE game?
Thank you!

1) IMO it is, it feels more full and more balanced.
2) Actually i'm having a blast with Subspace Emissary... It's very cool (slightly repetitive) but the whole story aspect of it rocks.
3) Yep.
4) Actually i find myself enjoying the Wiimote only option, but to put things in order: GC Controller, WiiMote, WiiMote/Nunchuck combo.
5) 41 stages.

Seriously? Wiimote/Nunchuck combo is the worst? I was planning on using that one the most...it has a joystick like the GC controller, plus enough buttons to play the game well...I thought.  I was just hoping it'd be a nice choice for a wireless controller that still had the Wii Home and Power buttons.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

^well....using a nunchuk is kinda awkward in a very fast paced game like SSBB

I have another question: Marth was my favourite character in Melee, is he good in Brawl? Anything is changed?

Wii Fit is rapidly beating PS3...

Playing now: Apollo Justice, Majora's Mask

Going to play: Little King Story

"As long as there is a Triforce, there will be a Zelda  As long as there is a prosperous kingdom, there will be an evil that wants destroy it And as long as there is an oppressive force running Hyrule, there will be a boy, in a green tunic, with a silver shield, and a magic blade, to stand against them."-The Legend of Zelda

^well, I have heard that his sword is shorter and he has less priority

wfz said:

Snake....oh god, I don't even know what to say. I suppose I just don't know how to use his style, but I hated playing as him. He's really slow, his jumps are slow and low, and his smash attacks don't make any sense. Take this for instance, his SIDE smash attack is a missle that shoots straight into the ground beside him. His UP smash attack lobs a missle in the air that leisurely comes back down to explode, and the problem with that is that no one will be dumb enough to stand where the missle is landing. He has no attacks that have any good range for enemies in front of him.

Here Snake is used well:

Wii Fit is rapidly beating PS3...

Playing now: Apollo Justice, Majora's Mask

Going to play: Little King Story

"As long as there is a Triforce, there will be a Zelda  As long as there is a prosperous kingdom, there will be an evil that wants destroy it And as long as there is an oppressive force running Hyrule, there will be a boy, in a green tunic, with a silver shield, and a magic blade, to stand against them."-The Legend of Zelda