By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance

does anyone even know whats in the kinect box?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
ShinmenTakezo said:
landguy1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
landguy1 said:
The only reason to post this"Article" is to create discontent. It's another super secret source "high up" in the development world that is telling these "secrets".

I have made mention of this before, but will say it again. How is it that individual developer guy has such great detailed info on both systems? Because they don't. Development for multiple platforms is broken up into different groups. Each group focuses on their individual platform. So how do these super informed people possibly have time to already be expert on both systems designs? Especially if the developers are fighting to optimize the games for release. Either you have or haven't learned the system set ups in detail. The sources admit they haven't yet. So how can they conclude a % increase? This isn't going to be resolved in 2 months as many hope. It will take 2 years to probably know the truth. Even with a system tear down, it doesn't take into account proprietary systems designs as whatever their testing with won't be optimized for the particular architecture. Just give it up now, the answer will always be debated anyway.

Indeed, devs within the same companies never talk or exhange information. It is complete magic that they get multiplatform parity.

It seems that reading comprehension is a tough thing to employ in these threads, as many people have made a similar comment.

I did not say that people inside the same company do not communicate.  That is the very reason why we have these "seret person with knowledge" scenarios.  Person A who is working on the particulars of the PS4 TELLS person B with knowledge of both systems(or no knowledge of either) that they are seeing this or that when they are working on it.  Person B probably doesn't have actual hands on experience with both consoles, but is taking bits of information from another person and coming to a conclusion. If any of you have worked in a collaborative environment, you know exactly what I am talking about.  With dozens or hundreds of people working on minute parts that go together as a whole, very few people if any have enough information to make a meaningful observation.  Even fewer people will have direct experience on both systems to make a true comparison.

My previous comment assumed that people understood the group project scenario.  I'll try to be more precise in the future to skip the discontent. 

I didn't want to get into this, but you are wrong. When coding for a game you need to know the system you are coding for in and out to get the most out of the hardware. Now every studio isn't large enough to have multiple teams work on different platforms. That means some devs do indeed have intimate knowledge of both sytems innards. If the studio is large enough to have a seperate teams working on each platform, like someone said earlier, there is a team that goes between both to confirm parity. What about these indies making games for both platforms? A lot of these indies are very small teams, some are only a couple people. Your argument doesn't work very well, neither does the Take 10 dev's. The people he's crying about are the Neogaf people. A lot of those people are industry people who know their shit. He shouldn't be telling anyone to STFU.

I have to say that your argument is not very solid.  There are all types of developers and to think that every developer is on the same level means you have not developed software.  People would put Naught Dog as one of the premiere developers out there because of their ability to harness the capabilities of the Cell including Sony Santa Monica.  Do people remember when the gen first started with the PS3 and 360.  Where Sony had to send IBM people to Epic and other high profile companies to get them up to speed on how to program to the Cell.  Do people remember how long it took for top 3rd parties to ramp up on programming to the PS3 so that games started to either meet or even exceed the 360 version.

Do people forget comments from Carmack and Valve Gabe Newell in the early days about the PS3 arch.  So early impression for a more complex system is always met with resistance because its more complex.  Developers like to go to the platform and support the platform with the least resistance because it does not take them out of their comfort zone.

So when you hear something from an anon developer you have no clue exactly what that developer do. Does he work on animation, game content, network or game engine physics etc.  You do not know if he heard from a friend or just someone who doesn't want to take the time to learn the techniques to gain optimum performance from one system to the next.  Even from the edge article it appears that its the software drivers from MS that is behind which I can see that being the case.  MS system is definitely more complex to work with and thus MS will need to make sure their drivers gain the most from the system without the developers having to access the low level hardware in order to gain performance.  The ESRAM is something developers will definitely need to manage to reach peak performance because they just cannot throw everything in memory, instead they will have to manage what is stored within memory for the scene being displayed and constantly swap in and out textures and other stuff.  Tilled resources probably will help out a lot in this area.

As for the people on Neogaf, lets not generalize and say a lot of them know their stuff.  If going by the comments i would say you have about the same people on this site then on Gaf who actually know their stuff.  One thing for sure is that you do not have a lot of people on any site that knows the difference between coding for the PS4 and X1.

Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
landguy1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
landguy1 said:
The only reason to post this"Article" is to create discontent. It's another super secret source "high up" in the development world that is telling these "secrets".

I have made mention of this before, but will say it again. How is it that individual developer guy has such great detailed info on both systems? Because they don't. Development for multiple platforms is broken up into different groups. Each group focuses on their individual platform. So how do these super informed people possibly have time to already be expert on both systems designs? Especially if the developers are fighting to optimize the games for release. Either you have or haven't learned the system set ups in detail. The sources admit they haven't yet. So how can they conclude a % increase? This isn't going to be resolved in 2 months as many hope. It will take 2 years to probably know the truth. Even with a system tear down, it doesn't take into account proprietary systems designs as whatever their testing with won't be optimized for the particular architecture. Just give it up now, the answer will always be debated anyway.

Indeed, devs within the same companies never talk or exhange information. It is complete magic that they get multiplatform parity.

It seems that reading comprehension is a tough thing to employ in these threads, as many people have made a similar comment.

I did not say that people inside the same company do not communicate.  That is the very reason why we have these "seret person with knowledge" scenarios.  Person A who is working on the particulars of the PS4 TELLS person B with knowledge of both systems(or no knowledge of either) that they are seeing this or that when they are working on it.  Person B probably doesn't have actual hands on experience with both consoles, but is taking bits of information from another person and coming to a conclusion. If any of you have worked in a collaborative environment, you know exactly what I am talking about.  With dozens or hundreds of people working on minute parts that go together as a whole, very few people if any have enough information to make a meaningful observation.  Even fewer people will have direct experience on both systems to make a true comparison.

My previous comment assumed that people understood the group project scenario.  I'll try to be more precise in the future to skip the discontent. 

I didn't want to get into this, but you are wrong. When coding for a game you need to know the system you are coding for in and out to get the most out of the hardware. Now every studio isn't large enough to have multiple teams work on different platforms. That means some devs do indeed have intimate knowledge of both sytems innards. If the studio is large enough to have a seperate teams working on each platform, like someone said earlier, there is a team that goes between both to confirm parity. What about these indies making games for both platforms? A lot of these indies are very small teams, some are only a couple people. Your argument doesn't work very well, neither does the Take 10 dev's. The people he's crying about are the Neogaf people. A lot of those people are industry people who know their shit. He shouldn't be telling anyone to STFU.

I have to say that your argument is not very solid.  There are all types of developers and to think that every developer is on the same level means you have not developed software.  People would put Naught Dog as one of the premiere developers out there because of their ability to harness the capabilities of the Cell including Sony Santa Monica.  Do people remember when the gen first started with the PS3 and 360.  Where Sony had to send IBM people to Epic and other high profile companies to get them up to speed on how to program to the Cell.  Do people remember how long it took for top 3rd parties to ramp up on programming to the PS3 so that games started to either meet or even exceed the 360 version.

Do people forget comments from Carmack and Valve Gabe Newell in the early days about the PS3 arch.  So early impression for a more complex system is always met with resistance because its more complex.  Developers like to go to the platform and support the platform with the least resistance because it does not take them out of their comfort zone.

So when you hear something from an anon developer you have no clue exactly what that developer do. Does he work on animation, game content, network or game engine physics etc.  You do not know if he heard from a friend or just someone who doesn't want to take the time to learn the techniques to gain optimum performance from one system to the next.  Even from the edge article it appears that its the software drivers from MS that is behind which I can see that being the case.  MS system is definitely more complex to work with and thus MS will need to make sure their drivers gain the most from the system without the developers having to access the low level hardware in order to gain performance.  The ESRAM is something developers will definitely need to manage to reach peak performance because they just cannot throw everything in memory, instead they will have to manage what is stored within memory for the scene being displayed and constantly swap in and out textures and other stuff.  Tilled resources probably will help out a lot in this area.

As for the people on Neogaf, lets not generalize and say a lot of them know their stuff.  If going by the comments i would say you have about the same people on this site then on Gaf who actually know their stuff.  One thing for sure is that you do not have a lot of people on any site that knows the difference between coding for the PS4 and X1.

How is my argument not solid? Especially when you fail to prove otherwise. Why talk about coding when we are talking about a dev's knowledge of hardware? Do you really think a game jurno is going to talk to an artist instead of a coder about specs? How was I generalizing? Some of the people on NeoGaf are very knowledgeable. A lot more knowledgeable than most of the people on this site. There are a good amount of insiders there. This is proven week in and week out when gaming sites and publications are citing users fron NeoGaf about rumors and such. Again with the coding.We weren't talking about just coding, it was being used to prove a point. You're reaching for something that isn't there.

ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:

How is my argument not solid? Especially when you fail to prove otherwise. Why talk about coding when we are talking about a dev's knowledge of hardware? Do you really think a game jurno is going to talk to an artist instead of a coder about specs? How was I generalizing? The people on NeoGaf are very knowledgeable. A lot more knowledgeable than the people on this site. There are a good amount of insiders there. This is proven week in and week out when gaming sites and publications are citing users fron NeoGaf about rumors and such. Again with the coding.We weren't talking about just coding, it was being used to prove a point. You're reaching for something that isn't there.

I thought it was quite well known already that the PS4 development environment is nothing like the PS3, and has been stated as being better than the XboxOne development environment. To me it seems that Cerny got in early, gathered all the intel on what was awful about the PS3 (which is pretty much detailed on the internet already)... and fixed it. While Ms seemed to have left it quite late, made the hardware more complicated (maybe because they didnt want to risk GDDR5 memory issues) and have a worse development environment. I don't think there is anything to argue about here. Can MS improve their systems, yep... can Sony continue to improve theirs... yep. MS might have a bit more wiggle room to improve theirs if its really as bad as people say, but ultimately that gap is still going to be small in terms of performance catch up.

The question will be what types of performance differences we will see. Who knows.. Sony had a worse console to develop on with the PS3, but ultimately developed and published a better and wider range of exclusives, while MS started off strong and dropped then console. Xbox360 was no doubt the better console to develop for - for 3rd parties, but ultimately MS dropped it in the last few years and doesnt even have a good set of launch titles to show for dropping it.

If they are equal in performance, I would still say Sony will do a better job of releasing a wider diverse range of games on the platform. While Sony's 3rd party studios are larger and seemingly better placed to release the better looking/running games on the platform. MS will show interest for a few years and then get bored.. unfortunately that's what MS is like. That's what they were like on PC. If the PS4 is substantially more powerful it will just make the whole situation even worse.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:

How is my argument not solid? Especially when you fail to prove otherwise. Why talk about coding when we are talking about a dev's knowledge of hardware? Do you really think a game jurno is going to talk to an artist instead of a coder about specs? How was I generalizing? The people on NeoGaf are very knowledgeable. A lot more knowledgeable than the people on this site. There are a good amount of insiders there. This is proven week in and week out when gaming sites and publications are citing users fron NeoGaf about rumors and such. Again with the coding.We weren't talking about just coding, it was being used to prove a point. You're reaching for something that isn't there.

I thought it was quite well known already that the PS4 development environment is nothing like the PS3, and has been stated as being better than the XboxOne development environment. To me it seems that Cerny got in early, gathered all the intel on what was awful about the PS3 (which is pretty much detailed on the internet already)... and fixed it. While Ms seemed to have left it quite late, made the hardware more complicated (maybe because they didnt want to risk GDDR5 memory issues) and have a worse development environment. I don't think there is anything to argue about here. Can MS improve their systems, yep... can Sony continue to improve theirs... yep. MS might have a bit more wiggle room to improve theirs if its really as bad as people say, but ultimately that gap is still going to be small in terms of performance catch up.

The question will be what types of performance differences we will see. Who knows.. Sony had a worse console to develop on with the PS3, but ultimately developed and published a better and wider range of exclusives, while MS started off strong and dropped then console. Xbox360 was no doubt the better console to develop for - for 3rd parties, but ultimately MS dropped it in the last few years and doesnt even have a good set of launch titles to show for dropping it.

If they are equal in performance, I would still say Sony will do a better job of releasing a wider diverse range of games on the platform. While Sony's 3rd party studios are larger and seemingly better placed to release the better looking/running games on the platform. MS will show interest for a few years and then get bored.. unfortunately that's what MS is like. That's what they were like on PC. If the PS4 is substantially more powerful it will just make the whole situation even worse.

That's just it. The PS4 is a good amount more powerful by all accounts except for MS employees and loyalists. Not only is PS4 architecturally better built, but it has stronger parts all around. The One will never, can never close that gap. That's why MS needs to put their penis back in their pants and make it about the games and extra features. They will never win the spec or graphics or performance war.

Around the Network
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
landguy1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
landguy1 said:

How is my argument not solid? Especially when you fail to prove otherwise. Why talk about coding when we are talking about a dev's knowledge of hardware? Do you really think a game jurno is going to talk to an artist instead of a coder about specs? How was I generalizing? Some of the people on NeoGaf are very knowledgeable. A lot more knowledgeable than most of the people on this site. There are a good amount of insiders there. This is proven week in and week out when gaming sites and publications are citing users fron NeoGaf about rumors and such. Again with the coding.We weren't talking about just coding, it was being used to prove a point. You're reaching for something that isn't there.

Ok maybe I should have stated it different.  You post seems to make assumptions that all developers are equal.  You presented an opinion that indie and other devs who do multiple development work also have the time to learn two very different complex systems.  My case is that all developers are not equal.  If you went by the PS3 gen, there were many developers who could not grasp the Cell processor and their games struggled on the PS3 compared to the 360.  Did that mean that the PS3 was a weaker system than the 360, no.  It means the developer experience and capabilities were not up to the task at hand.  

As for who game jornos talk to, I have no clue.  I do know they like a story and they are willing to take info from any source that is willing to give it.  Making the assumption that game jornos would only talk to game engine designers is suspect when those same jornos do not even tell you what the developers do. 

The PS4 is more powerful than the xbone. #dealwithit

Madword said:

Between the 360 gen and now MS has created 20 studios.  It will be interesting to see if those studios can close the gap in 1st party games between MS and Sony.  I will definitely say that Sony has the better collection of studios at this moment and they are all proven which is a good advantage.  MS has partner with Crytek, Remedy and Insomniac.  There is Epic still on the plate so who knows if MS has partner with them on something.  Not sure how things will turn out but the way I see it everything starts from the beginning again.  With 20 something studios and some decent partnerships, MS may surprise in the 1st and 2nd level exclusives.

Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
landguy1 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Ok maybe I should have stated it different.  You post seems to make assumptions that all developers are equal.  You presented an opinion that indie and other devs who do multiple development work also have the time to learn two very different complex systems.  My case is that all developers are not equal.  If you went by the PS3 gen, there were many developers who could not grasp the Cell processor and their games struggled on the PS3 compared to the 360.  Did that mean that the PS3 was a weaker system than the 360, no.  It means the developer experience and capabilities were not up to the task at hand.  

As for who game jornos talk to, I have no clue.  I do know they like a story and they are willing to take info from any source that is willing to give it.  Making the assumption that game jornos would only talk to game engine designers is suspect when those same jornos do not even tell you what the developers do

My post makes no such assumptions. You are making assumtions based on my post. Devs don't have to be equal to know the specs of a machine. Just because you know the specs of a machine doesn't mean you can automatically get the best out of it. But that isn't what we were arguing about. Why do people keep trying to compare this gen to next gen? It is not a fair or accurate comparison.

@bolded: That makes absolutely no sense. Do you know why these devs wish to remain anonymous? NDA and they don't want MS or Sony pissed at them. Do you know why jurnos don't give out their sources? If they did, they'd never get another interiew with an insider with inside info. That is it. It's not some crazy conspiracy where some guy talked to another guy whose mother is blowing some guy that sat next to a dev at lunch. These are most likely people with pretty good knowledge of both machines.

zhao3gold said:
This kind of shits never end. Last year, it was Wii U against PS360. And now is X1 vs. PS4. So tired of this.

This has been going on since the NES and Gensis. If I were you, I'd just learn to live with it lol.