By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance

ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:

I jumped into the part where you stated developers know about something they have no experience using.  That has always been my argument.  I care not for the willy waving on which console has the most power. You made a point i felt was not valid and I gave you examples whether you liked them or not to that effect.  You do not have to care about how well a dev can code but it makes no sense to trust in someone ability if they cannot perform their job well.  If I was going to see a doctor and I knew what his grades are in college, why would I go to the C student instead of the A student.  Why would you value the C student word over the A student.  This would be no different with a developer.  If one developer says something is to complex or i cannot wrap my head around it, but a more accomplished developer says opposite, then I would side with the more accomplish developer

@Bolded:  How??  How can someone actually tell you about performance of a device without actually coding to it.  I have absolutly no clue how this can be done reliably.  You mention better hardware how do you know all parts of the hardware is better.  The only true better spec is the GPU.  Even with the memory, who can tell how each one can be used for better performance.  Is it easier on the PS4 end, yes, but easier doesn't make it better and each comes with pros and cons no layman knows how they effect the total system without actually using the tools provided by both companies to extract performance from those systems.

@ 2nd Bolded.  There is no theory, this is my opinion on how I trust anon sources.  Without being able to verify who these sources are they will always be suspect.  I care not why a source feel the need to release info they are signed into agreement not to share.  I only care about the information is the truth and without verification of the source or the information, I have no reason to believe it on blind faith until proven different.  

I guess you don't get it. You made an argument when there was none. You are sitting here trying to tell me that this jurno's anonymous source is some crap dev who doesn't know how to code? Your argument as well as your logic are crap. Moot. Null. Void. You threw yourself into anrgument you had nothing to do with so you could argue with me about something I never said. A crap dev will know just as much about a platforms performance as a great dev. The problem comes in at coding, not knowledge of hardware. But since you're a dev, you would know that.

I can see now that you are comepletely clueless, and I highly doubt you are a dev. Maybe a website dev, but I think you are lying. You are clueless if you think you have to code for a machine to know its theoretical performance. Like I said in an earlier post....There are harware engineers. There are people who do reasearch and know PC hardware and architecture as well as the pros.

Again you show your true colors. The real reason you are arguing with me is bolded. Don't try to say that's not the reason again please. You are absolutely wrong on that point also. PS4 is better in every way possible. Better GPU, better RAM, better system architecture, less OS overhead, better dev tools. You can deny this all you want, but it is true and I am right. Any one that has an inkling about PC tech knows that PS4 memory architecture is not only more simple than the Ones, it has better performance to boot. Any dev that has an inkling about what they are doing will tell you no amount of coding can close the gap because the architecture is so similar, with the PS4's being better.

Your opinion is a theory, and a pretty crappy one at that. Opinions can be theories. Your theory is that anonymous sources are not to be trusted unless they are outed. That is a theory and an opinion. History has proved them wrong. Watergate.....an anonymous source called depthroat. We learn that the NSA was spying on us through an anonymous source until the gov't outed him. Plenty of reliable info comes from anon sources. Just because they are saying something you don't like doesn't mean all anon sources are all of a sudden untustworthy joe schmoes who don't really know anything. You are lumping every dev that has put their two cents in on this discussion as crappy devs because they want to remain anonymous. Does that really make sense to you? Does that really sound logical?

@Bolded, you made a statement you could not back up and continue to deflect away from it.  I am not trying to tell you anons sources from an internet site is from a crap developer.  It really seems like you cannot separate an opinion or point of view.  I told you this is how I see, it.  I told you that I do not believe in anon sources until their statements can be proven.  Noticed the I part because it really seems like you do not understand the English language (which could be the case as i do not know where you are located).

@2nd Bolded:  Here is what you said.  Maybe you should take the time to remember what you write before going off, 

I didn't want to get into this, but you are wrong. When coding for a game you need to know the system you are coding for in and out to get the most out of the hardware. 

Thats your starting paragraph.  Now you changed the goal post from having to know the system if you are CODING for it to something totally different.  Its apparent that you have no clue what you are saying and you chang up your comments when you are challenged on a point you do not understand or have experience with.  Nothing speaks volumes then you stating a crap dev will know just as much about a piece of hardware and coding for it as a great dev.  Its very evident you have no experience coding to any platform.  What exactly do you think separate a crap dev from a great one.??

You want to do credentials, I am more than happy to share mine if you are willing to share yours.  There is absolutely no reason for doubt.  My JOB demands I develop on multiple different platforms, including different languages and i also teach API training.  So if you want to go down this road I am more than ready to take you up on it.  I will accept you on Linkin that way I can prove my account, the company I work for and the Software I write.

@3rd Bolded:  Moving the goal post again.  Who said anythign about theoretical performance.  Of course you do not need to code to find out theoretical performance.  You need to code to find out actual performance as in what eactly you can get from a piece of hardware.  Both systems has a peak theoretical performance, the question is which one can obtain that peak due to the hardware design.  Having a higher peak doesn't mean anything if the developers can only access 50% of it for one console and 65% for another.  I highly doubt anyone really cares about theoretical performance but instead what developers can actually achieve in real world scenerios.  Which system is designed to achieve their as close to 100% of their theoretical performance.

@4th Bolded.  Only thing that is proven is better GPU. Better arch will not be know for years.  Less OS overhead, not sure where you get that one from because no one knows exactly what the PS4 overhead will be.  As for better dev tools, thats up for debate.  Sony definitely isn't known to be a strength in this area and I really doubt they have caught up with MS who makes a business in this area. I will definitely give the edge to the GDDR5 memory but than again you have statements like this from the same article that probably most people like your self dismissed.

"Xbox One does, however, boast superior performance to PS4 in other ways. “Let’s say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces – that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU – Xbox One will be likely be faster,” said one developer."

The problem with debating with people like you who have already made up their mind is that you cannot see beyound your own fanboyism.  For some reason I think you believe I am some MS or Xbox fanboy.  I am a fan of no corporation or product.  It either fills my need or doesn't.  Even still I have more Sony products in my home than anything from MS.  2 PS3, 2 PS Vita, one Vaio, PS2, PS1 PS+ PSeye and Move.  

As for Anon sources, you really do not get it.  Never stated an Anon source cannot be legit.  I stated that I do not trust a source until their info can be verified.  Does this point just fly right over your head.  For one anon source that could be legit you probably have hundreds that are not.  If you just take January of this year, how man mystery anon sources claimed so many rumors only for the majority of them to be bunk.  Even for sources that have good track records, they also have a lot of bunk in their stuff as well.  I am sorry I cannot be like you who believe everything first ( or more like believe everything that supports your opinion).  Instead, everything is suspect whether it supports my opinion or not until proven.

@5th Bolded:  Chill dude, you are putting words in my mouth that I never stated.  I say I do not trust anon source, you on the other hand have to prove they are who they say they are before making comments like you are.  Different mindset dude, you need to get over yourself.  Here is a comment from Eurogamer which i totally agree with 

"Developer sources have also suggested that the 32MB of ESRAM - the fast scratchpad memory for high-speed graphics processing - may favour lower resolution render targets. This is a topic we hope to return to soon with some hard data from on-the-record sources."

Unlike yourself, I weigh on the record sources before I am willing to form a final opinion.  Maybe you should do the same.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:

I jumped into the part where you stated developers know about something they have no experience using.  That has always been my argument.  I care not for the willy waving on which console has the most power. You made a point i felt was not valid and I gave you examples whether you liked them or not to that effect.  You do not have to care about how well a dev can code but it makes no sense to trust in someone ability if they cannot perform their job well.  If I was going to see a doctor and I knew what his grades are in college, why would I go to the C student instead of the A student.  Why would you value the C student word over the A student.  This would be no different with a developer.  If one developer says something is to complex or i cannot wrap my head around it, but a more accomplished developer says opposite, then I would side with the more accomplish developer

@Bolded:  How??  How can someone actually tell you about performance of a device without actually coding to it.  I have absolutly no clue how this can be done reliably.  You mention better hardware how do you know all parts of the hardware is better.  The only true better spec is the GPU.  Even with the memory, who can tell how each one can be used for better performance.  Is it easier on the PS4 end, yes, but easier doesn't make it better and each comes with pros and cons no layman knows how they effect the total system without actually using the tools provided by both companies to extract performance from those systems.

@ 2nd Bolded.  There is no theory, this is my opinion on how I trust anon sources.  Without being able to verify who these sources are they will always be suspect.  I care not why a source feel the need to release info they are signed into agreement not to share.  I only care about the information is the truth and without verification of the source or the information, I have no reason to believe it on blind faith until proven different.  

I guess you don't get it. You made an argument when there was none. You are sitting here trying to tell me that this jurno's anonymous source is some crap dev who doesn't know how to code? Your argument as well as your logic are crap. Moot. Null. Void. You threw yourself into anrgument you had nothing to do with so you could argue with me about something I never said. A crap dev will know just as much about a platforms performance as a great dev. The problem comes in at coding, not knowledge of hardware. But since you're a dev, you would know that.

I can see now that you are comepletely clueless, and I highly doubt you are a dev. Maybe a website dev, but I think you are lying. You are clueless if you think you have to code for a machine to know its theoretical performance. Like I said in an earlier post....There are harware engineers. There are people who do reasearch and know PC hardware and architecture as well as the pros.

Again you show your true colors. The real reason you are arguing with me is bolded. Don't try to say that's not the reason again please. You are absolutely wrong on that point also. PS4 is better in every way possible. Better GPU, better RAM, better system architecture, less OS overhead, better dev tools. You can deny this all you want, but it is true and I am right. Any one that has an inkling about PC tech knows that PS4 memory architecture is not only more simple than the Ones, it has better performance to boot. Any dev that has an inkling about what they are doing will tell you no amount of coding can close the gap because the architecture is so similar, with the PS4's being better.

Your opinion is a theory, and a pretty crappy one at that. Opinions can be theories. Your theory is that anonymous sources are not to be trusted unless they are outed. That is a theory and an opinion. History has proved them wrong. Watergate.....an anonymous source called depthroat. We learn that the NSA was spying on us through an anonymous source until the gov't outed him. Plenty of reliable info comes from anon sources. Just because they are saying something you don't like doesn't mean all anon sources are all of a sudden untustworthy joe schmoes who don't really know anything. You are lumping every dev that has put their two cents in on this discussion as crappy devs because they want to remain anonymous. Does that really make sense to you? Does that really sound logical?

@Bolded, you made a statement you could not back up and continue to deflect away from it.  I am not trying to tell you anons sources from an internet site is from a crap developer.  It really seems like you cannot separate an opinion or point of view.  I told you this is how I see, it.  I told you that I do not believe in anon sources until their statements can be proven.  Noticed the I part because it really seems like you do not understand the English language (which could be the case as i do not know where you are located).

@2nd Bolded:  Here is what you said.  Maybe you should take the time to remember what you write before going off, 

I didn't want to get into this, but you are wrong. When coding for a game you need to know the system you are coding for in and out to get the most out of the hardware. 

Thats your starting paragraph.  Now you changed the goal post from having to know the system if you are CODING for it to something totally different.  Its apparent that you have no clue what you are saying and you chang up your comments when you are challenged on a point you do not understand or have experience with.  Nothing speaks volumes then you stating a crap dev will know just as much about a piece of hardware and coding for it as a great dev.  Its very evident you have no experience coding to any platform.  What exactly do you think separate a crap dev from a great one.??

You want to do credentials, I am more than happy to share mine if you are willing to share yours.  There is absolutely no reason for doubt.  My JOB demands I develop on multiple different platforms, including different languages and i also teach API training.  So if you want to go down this road I am more than ready to take you up on it.  I will accept you on Linkin that way I can prove my account, the company I work for and the Software I write.

@3rd Bolded:  Moving the goal post again.  Who said anythign about theoretical performance.  Of course you do not need to code to find out theoretical performance.  You need to code to find out actual performance as in what eactly you can get from a piece of hardware.  Both systems has a peak theoretical performance, the question is which one can obtain that peak due to the hardware design.  Having a higher peak doesn't mean anything if the developers can only access 50% of it for one console and 65% for another.  I highly doubt anyone really cares about theoretical performance but instead what developers can actually achieve in real world scenerios.  Which system is designed to achieve their as close to 100% of their theoretical performance.

@4th Bolded.  Only thing that is proven is better GPU. Better arch will not be know for years.  Less OS overhead, not sure where you get that one from because no one knows exactly what the PS4 overhead will be.  As for better dev tools, thats up for debate.  Sony definitely isn't known to be a strength in this area and I really doubt they have caught up with MS who makes a business in this area. I will definitely give the edge to the GDDR5 memory but than again you have statements like this from the same article that probably most people like your self dismissed.

"Xbox One does, however, boast superior performance to PS4 in other ways. “Let’s say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces – that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU – Xbox One will be likely be faster,” said one developer."

The problem with debating with people like you who have already made up their mind is that you cannot see beyound your own fanboyism.  For some reason I think you believe I am some MS or Xbox fanboy.  I am a fan of no corporation or product.  It either fills my need or doesn't.  Even still I have more Sony products in my home than anything from MS.  2 PS3, 2 PS Vita, one Vaio, PS2, PS1 PS+ PSeye and Move.  

As for Anon sources, you really do not get it.  Never stated an Anon source cannot be legit.  I stated that I do not trust a source until their info can be verified.  Does this point just fly right over your head.  For one anon source that could be legit you probably have hundreds that are not.  If you just take January of this year, how man mystery anon sources claimed so many rumors only for the majority of them to be bunk.  Even for sources that have good track records, they also have a lot of bunk in their stuff as well.  I am sorry I cannot be like you who believe everything first ( or more like believe everything that supports your opinion).  Instead, everything is suspect whether it supports my opinion or not until proven.

@5th Bolded:  Chill dude, you are putting words in my mouth that I never stated.  I say I do not trust anon source, you on the other hand have to prove they are who they say they are before making comments like you are.  Different mindset dude, you need to get over yourself.  Here is a comment from Eurogamer which i totally agree with 

"Developer sources have also suggested that the 32MB of ESRAM - the fast scratchpad memory for high-speed graphics processing - may favour lower resolution render targets. This is a topic we hope to return to soon with some hard data from on-the-record sources."

Unlike yourself, I weigh on the record sources before I am willing to form a final opinion.  Maybe you should do the same.

All anecdotal evidence. We will see when it launches. I can be  the source. how do you know? YOu don't.

Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:

Fail

ShinmenTakezo said:
Fail

Does that mean, I win ;)  Anyway good debating with you even if you had to drop down to the school yard level.  You have your opinion and I have mine.  We will see how things shake up once games and consoles get released.  I am sure we will argue some pointless point again.

Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Fail

Does that mean, I win ;)  Anyway good debating with you even if you had to drop down to the school yard level.  You have your opinion and I have mine.  We will see how things shake up once games and consoles get released.  I am sure we will argue some pointless point again.

Double fail since you think fail means you won.

Lol at schoolyard levels........ I have an opinion, but we weren't debating opnions. You were wrong plain and simple. I just chose to end it with fail seeing as how you either ignore what I say and repeat the same things you already said or you change what the agument supposedly was.

I'm sure I won't argue with you again because I sense it would turn out the same way. You're right that it would be pointless.

Around the Network
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Fail

Double fail since you think fail means you won.

Lol at schoolyard levels........ I have an opinion, but we weren't debating opnions. You were wrong plain and simple. I just chose to end it with fail seeing as how you either ignore what I say and repeat the same things you already said or you change what the agument supposedly was.

I'm sure I won't argue with you again because I sense it would turn out the same way. You're right that it would be pointless.

Nope, just one word replys usually means the person has nothing to add thus they were beaten in a corner.  School yard level is when you have to resort to name calling to prove your point.  The content of your words should be enough without all the extra stuff you put into your comments.  Most people resort to name calling when they cannot prove a point because they do not have a valid answer.

The problem with stating that I am wrong is that you have to prove it.  Saying the words doesn't make it true.  Notice I never have to state your opinion is wrong.  Either I can counter it effectly or I cannot.