By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance

This is amusing.., several people still defending the XboxOne due the inferiority, and hoping it's magically will be on par in terms of graphics, no man.., Lol..., no.., once again no...^^, MS already made its Choice, and that's definitely not graphics, if you're really that persistent in defending it, i feel sorry for you. If you want buy Xbox because it's amazing exclusive, please DO!!, please..!!, be my guest!!, I really mean it!!, but once again, you got to accept the truth about the power wise, and you know that, Y'now what, I really don't get you (xbox fan) this time, if you really desperately wants your console to be powerful, why don't you also buy a PS4 instead ? (since it seem more focused on graphics), why you're still hoping the Xbox One to match it ??, why..??, and it's even CHEAPER for god sake.., what's holding you??, please tell me..?, honestly ? :(

Around the Network

This is really starting to hurt my head. Anyone without fanboy glasses and basic understanding of tech knows that PS4 will have upper hand this gen as both have indentical architecture (unlike PS3 and X360) when it comes to CPU and GPU with the difference that PS4 GPU is just all around better (more shader units, rops etc.). Then there is memory setup that is better in PS4. This doesn't mean that Xbox one will not have good looking games but PS4 will graphical advantage. It also doesn't mean that PS4 is going to sell more solely based on this as it's the games that matter. Just accept this and move on so this coming gen will be a lot easier for you.

Shinobi-san said:
trixiemafia86 said:

Sums everything up. MS clearly focused on kinect. I actually expected MS to have the more powerful console given sony's current financial situation, but they chose to spend the money on kinect. I'm not saying that's a bad thing since we have to wait and see how games use the more powerful kinect.

Yep. I think its weird though that MS are engaging in these kinda discussions. They also havent really focused on Kinect apart from the functionality that it adds to the OS. Theres been almost no major Kinect game showings or demos. I've seen more footage of playroom than of any kinect title.

Not sure what's happening over at MS at the moment. They should be pushing Kinect from a gaming perspective really hard right now. Its the only major difference(and advantage) between the Xbone and competitors.

MS needs to get its house in order and get back to the way they were.

With the relatively high cost of the console they're probably thinking that most of their first customers are core gamers for whom power is more important. The importance of Kinect will likely be emphasised later in the gen, maybe after their first price drop or when their first big Kinect game is released.

But yeah, it's not really helping them to engage in these types of debates.

Edge we love you. Sarcasm.

seriously though, the article speaks alot of truth. Raw power is ps4s strength.
and recently pennello has said dx11.2 drivers and the added co processors are xbox ones strength. Even edge acknowledge that drivers can swing the graphics in xbox ones favour.

fairly accurate article. Actually supports the claims of penello without actually meaning to.

looking forward to see what Microsoft bring with their latest drivers, bringing in direct x 11.2 support which the latest pc games will use.

end result will be as predicted. No real difference in first or third party graphics. Same as this generation.

selnor1983 said:
and recently pennello has said dx11.2 drivers and the added co processors are xbox ones strength. Even edge acknowledge that drivers can swing the graphics in xbox ones favour.

You are dead wrong in this point. As far as drivers are concerned, Sony is in a much better position than MS. The two key points are:

1. Compatibility issues. MS wants to have the best of all worlds - Windows8 devices, consoles, handhelds, you-name-it is touted as having the "same driver base". This insistence of having the same hardware abstraction layer (directX) on everything brings a lot of dead weight to each of the devices. Sony doesn' have to care at all about other devices, all they gave to care for is one, unique, zero compromise hal driver for the PS4.

2. The os on the XBox console is restricting acces to hardware by its supervisor os. This supervisor explicitly prevents accessing the hardware on the register level (my aasumption is that it isn't really going to be a "real" supervisor in the end exactly for that point). Here again, Sony could ruthlessly write the entire driver code on the register level (dangerous if you have noobs programming on your stuff- but who knows).

For these two reasons alone (there may be others), I see Sony in a much more comfortable position than MS.

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
trixiemafia86 said:

Sums everything up. MS clearly focused on kinect. I actually expected MS to have the more powerful console given sony's current financial situation, but they chose to spend the money on kinect. I'm not saying that's a bad thing since we have to wait and see how games use the more powerful kinect.

Yep. I think its weird though that MS are engaging in these kinda discussions. They also havent really focused on Kinect apart from the functionality that it adds to the OS. Theres been almost no major Kinect game showings or demos. I've seen more footage of playroom than of any kinect title.

Not sure what's happening over at MS at the moment. They should be pushing Kinect from a gaming perspective really hard right now. Its the only major difference(and advantage) between the Xbone and competitors.

MS needs to get its house in order and get back to the way they were.

yeah, the kinect thing perplexes me too.  if MS is confident enough in kinect to bundle it in every console causing the $100 parity in console prices you'd think they have a ton of really awesome things to show off that can only be done via kinect.  its been so quiet on the kinect front it's hard to remember it even exists sometimes.

killerzX said:
kitler53 said:
multiplats are going to look the same regardelss because that's what multiplats do. ..develop the the lowest common denominator.

..but naughty dog and santa montica are going to kick the living crap out of whatever MS's top studios are.

why do people always skip of Guerrilla Games and the Killzone series when the mention studios/games that look the best on consoles.

I would argue that Killzone 3 looks as Good or nearly as good, as The Last of Us,God of War: Ascension and Uncharted 3, and looks better than everything else on consoles.

Sorry, it just bugs me the GG always seems to be left out, they are such an underrated developer.

i love GG and killzone SF is probably the best looking game announced so far but i just feel ND and SM are ahead of them.  SF does look amazing though.

It doesn't matter. Whatever the end result, neither of the two consoles fans will own up to it.

As CGI pointed out, the PS3 is ahead of the X360 albeit not by much; this time around the gap is greater (and noteworthy) and I'm curious to see how Xbros will ride this one out. (Obviously, I'm talking about graphix comparisons and the such) Edit: that is assuming Microsoft wont have a hand in honest multiplat development as some are suggesting.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Does it really matter. One of them will have exactly 1 more pixel in each direction than the other and will have exactly 1% more processing power than the other. A grand total of about 20% of their power will never actually be fully utilized anyways so none of that really matters.

I am more interested to know which console is easier to rev the graphics up on. In other words, which console has the better development tools for it and the tighter controls for it. Not to mention which one of them will have more non-shooting games for them.

Not to mention the big question, is Microsoft gonna port all of their exclusives to the PC anyways? If it is, then why bother buying a console that is almost guaranteed to be more strapped down and harder to use than the PC version.

selnor1983 said:
Edge we love you. Sarcasm.

seriously though, the article speaks alot of truth. Raw power is ps4s strength.

fairly accurate article. Actually supports the claims of penello without actually meaning to.

looking forward to see what Microsoft bring with their latest drivers, bringing in direct x 11.2 support which the latest pc games will use.

end result will be as predicted. No real difference in first or third party graphics. Same as this generation.

You are taking delusion to another level with this post.

It's like you purposefully spinning what the article says to suite your agenda. That ridiculous.

The article clearly states that both companies dont have good drivers at the moment. MS being worse off. Obviously both will eventually improve the drivers to a point where its as close to perfect as possible. This still doesnt entirely solve the performance gap. The performance gap is at a hardware level. Nothing they can do will offset this.Is this something that you dont understand or purposefully ignoring?

Drivers will help developers reach the limitations of each individuals system's theoretical capabilities.

And people are seriously not understanding the point of the co-processors. Both consoles have them (MS has more). And both companies have said they have been included to increase the efficiency of the system. Efficiency has been a buzzword from both camps. This will ease up resources on the GPU and CPU and let them do what they do best. Again all this is done so that devs can get as much out of the system as possible.

If you want to understand the importance of the co-processors go and look at the physical size of them and compare it to the GPU. If that doesnt get my point across then nothing will.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|