By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance

CGI-Quality said:
Nsanity said:
I can't wait for Digital Foundry to get their hands on both retail units and put an end to this shit.

That wouldn't put an end to anything, since the PS3 was more capable than the 360, and still people clung to their own views. Meant nothing. In regards to these redundant topics (and they are redundant), they'll not satop even after the systems launch.

I thought the last gen systems would have taught y'all something, and they were even closer in power than the PS4 and Xbox One.

Wasn't the 360's Ram and GPU better than the PS3's?

Around the Network
Voltarenking said:
Nsanity said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Nsanity said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Nsanity said:

This reads something like the pro Sony Thuway over on NeoGaf would have posted:

"if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers"

No it sounds like the truth and its bullshit. 

Truth from a source who has no name.

Its been a policy for ms. Their pokicy have been holding back gaming this whole gen. And next gen isnr goinf to be any different. 

Care to elebarote?

Microsoft's third party guidelines dictate that all games released on the Xbox 360 must launch "at least simultaneously" with other systems and must have "at least" the same features and content. It reserves the right to block release if those guidelines aren't met

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-02-sony-attacks-xbox-360-content-policy

was big on the internet back then.
money talks the loudest language
Aside the hard architecture developers faced on the PS3 - If they wanted and were allowed to use everything the console got PS3 Multiplats would be on a different level.But Microsoft had such a big standing in this Gen that they don't needed to even try to figure the PS3 fully out.Effort would have been wasted anyway.
Lets see what NextGen will offer - 3rd Party doesn't need Microsoft this time as much as they needed them in the Current Gen.
Sony isn't screwing up like they did with the PS3 in every regard at the beginning.Sony is doing more than everything right and is the Number 1 choice for the majority of gamers worldwide.We could even face another PS2 Gen.

That was for XBLA games not retail.  There has never been a policy that prevented developers from making superior retail game for the PS3.

ladies and Gentleman i present to you the VGchartz greatest show ever Penis Measuring contest !!!

CGI-Quality said:
PeterSilenced said:
ladies and Gentleman i present to you the VGchartz greatest show ever Penis Measuring contest !!!

Nah, you're very late to the party. ;)

This happened years ago with the 360 and PS3.

Oh it will happen again (spoiler alert) this time around MS bought a swedish penis enlargement hidden in some misterious box inside the xbox one , sony will fightback using shaving techniques to make it seem bigger,fanboys will devour season 2 .

Just wait and see ;)

landguy1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
landguy1 said:
The only reason to post this"Article" is to create discontent. It's another super secret source "high up" in the development world that is telling these "secrets".

I have made mention of this before, but will say it again. How is it that individual developer guy has such great detailed info on both systems? Because they don't. Development for multiple platforms is broken up into different groups. Each group focuses on their individual platform. So how do these super informed people possibly have time to already be expert on both systems designs? Especially if the developers are fighting to optimize the games for release. Either you have or haven't learned the system set ups in detail. The sources admit they haven't yet. So how can they conclude a % increase? This isn't going to be resolved in 2 months as many hope. It will take 2 years to probably know the truth. Even with a system tear down, it doesn't take into account proprietary systems designs as whatever their testing with won't be optimized for the particular architecture. Just give it up now, the answer will always be debated anyway.

Indeed, devs within the same companies never talk or exhange information. It is complete magic that they get multiplatform parity.

It seems that reading comprehension is a tough thing to employ in these threads, as many people have made a similar comment.

I did not say that people inside the same company do not communicate.  That is the very reason why we have these "seret person with knowledge" scenarios.  Person A who is working on the particulars of the PS4 TELLS person B with knowledge of both systems(or no knowledge of either) that they are seeing this or that when they are working on it.  Person B probably doesn't have actual hands on experience with both consoles, but is taking bits of information from another person and coming to a conclusion. If any of you have worked in a collaborative environment, you know exactly what I am talking about.  With dozens or hundreds of people working on minute parts that go together as a whole, very few people if any have enough information to make a meaningful observation.  Even fewer people will have direct experience on both systems to make a true comparison.

My previous comment assumed that people understood the group project scenario.  I'll try to be more precise in the future to skip the discontent. 

I didn't want to get into this, but you are wrong. When coding for a game you need to know the system you are coding for in and out to get the most out of the hardware. Now every studio isn't large enough to have multiple teams work on different platforms. That means some devs do indeed have intimate knowledge of both sytems innards. If the studio is large enough to have a seperate teams working on each platform, like someone said earlier, there is a team that goes between both to confirm parity. What about these indies making games for both platforms? A lot of these indies are very small teams, some are only a couple people. Your argument doesn't work very well, neither does the Take 10 dev's. The people he's crying about are the Neogaf people. A lot of those people are industry people who know their shit. He shouldn't be telling anyone to STFU.

Around the Network
PeterSilenced said:

Meh, this article just bolters the fact that everyone (who doesn't have obvious ties with said company) has been saying all along. And now that a more creditable source comes along and confirms it.. should put a lot more weight behind the "debate".

Needless to say, there will still be people who will try to deny the difference between raw power/specs of the consoles.. even when its laid out right in front of them.

ShinmenTakezo said:
landguy1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
landguy1 said:
The only reason to post this"Article" is to create discontent. It's another super secret source "high up" in the development world that is telling these "secrets".

I have made mention of this before, but will say it again. How is it that individual developer guy has such great detailed info on both systems? Because they don't. Development for multiple platforms is broken up into different groups. Each group focuses on their individual platform. So how do these super informed people possibly have time to already be expert on both systems designs? Especially if the developers are fighting to optimize the games for release. Either you have or haven't learned the system set ups in detail. The sources admit they haven't yet. So how can they conclude a % increase? This isn't going to be resolved in 2 months as many hope. It will take 2 years to probably know the truth. Even with a system tear down, it doesn't take into account proprietary systems designs as whatever their testing with won't be optimized for the particular architecture. Just give it up now, the answer will always be debated anyway.

Indeed, devs within the same companies never talk or exhange information. It is complete magic that they get multiplatform parity.

It seems that reading comprehension is a tough thing to employ in these threads, as many people have made a similar comment.

I did not say that people inside the same company do not communicate.  That is the very reason why we have these "seret person with knowledge" scenarios.  Person A who is working on the particulars of the PS4 TELLS person B with knowledge of both systems(or no knowledge of either) that they are seeing this or that when they are working on it.  Person B probably doesn't have actual hands on experience with both consoles, but is taking bits of information from another person and coming to a conclusion. If any of you have worked in a collaborative environment, you know exactly what I am talking about.  With dozens or hundreds of people working on minute parts that go together as a whole, very few people if any have enough information to make a meaningful observation.  Even fewer people will have direct experience on both systems to make a true comparison.

My previous comment assumed that people understood the group project scenario.  I'll try to be more precise in the future to skip the discontent. 

I didn't want to get into this, but you are wrong. When coding for a game you need to know the system you are coding for in and out to get the most out of the hardware. Now every studio isn't large enough to have multiple teams work on different platforms. That means some devs do indeed have intimate knowledge of both sytems innards. If the studio is large enough to have a seperate teams working on each platform, like someone said earlier, there is a team that goes between both to confirm parity. What about these indies making games for both platforms? A lot of these indies are very small teams, some are only a couple people. Your argument doesn't work very well, neither does the Take 10 dev's. The people he's crying about are the Neogaf people. A lot of those people are industry people who know their shit. He shouldn't be telling anyone to STFU.

True enough.  But even in your smaller developer scenario, isn't that the hang up that most gamers have with indie games.  The games aren't very optimized and they are smaller.  I am not saying that indies don't produce some of the more unique games.  But, do they produce games that really push the systems to their limits?  I think that you are right, that they would have to coed both sides, but they would also code them in the simplest forms to ensure that they can finish the game.

I admit that i have no working knowledge of an indie studio to make that assumption though.

Nsanity said:
Euphoria14 said:

Multplat devs don't know shit about XBone and PS4.

MS knows more about the both of them since it is them who develops for both.

Edit - By the way, why all the hate for EDGE now? I thought they were loved by the MS camp and people always said they were one of the more credible magazines?

What changed?

You just made that up didn't you?

Gets annoying doesn't it?

Nsanity said:
CGI-Quality said:
Nsanity said:
I can't wait for Digital Foundry to get their hands on both retail units and put an end to this shit.

That wouldn't put an end to anything, since the PS3 was more capable than the 360, and still people clung to their own views. Meant nothing. In regards to these redundant topics (and they are redundant), they'll not satop even after the systems launch.

I thought the last gen systems would have taught y'all something, and they were even closer in power than the PS4 and Xbox One.

Wasn't the 360's Ram and GPU better than the PS3's?

I gave you a huge reply on this a few weeks ago. Don't tell me you didn't read it.

I honestly dont think we've seen these levels of delusion at vgchartz in a loong time. The last time things were this bad was when Sony fans were proclaiming after every PS3 price cut how its going to start selling like crazy... that never ever happened.

For me its very simple. Think of Sony and MS as two guys who needed to build a $400 - $500 gaming machine.

Sony decided to buy better hardware for performance. MS decided to add a camera with some awesome capabilities with less focus on performance. The hardware reflects where the money was spent.

When i first heard the specs of these consoles, i honestly thought tech discussions on next gen consoles would be boring as fuck, given how simple the architectures are and how easy they are to compare. Yet here we are arguing over whats painfully simple and obvious.

And to those saying lets wait for Digital Foundry..i say screw that. I dont need digital foundry to tell me that a 7850-7870 hyrbid type GPU/ jaguar APU setup is better than a 7770-7790 hybrid GPU/ jaguar core APU setup.

Almost every other part of the system will simply make the systems more efficient. But those are the two main processing units and both systems are limited to their theoretical compute limits.

End of discussion!

...imo

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Coming from Edge this is huge, in the consumer's mind PS4 is more powerful and 100$ cheaper. Sony is back.