By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3ds really that much better than Vita?

I will decide for myself, once my Vita comes in the mail tomorrow, or today if I'm lucky.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
NYANKS said:
I don't understand why this keeps being said. Maybe 3DS has more sheer games than Vita, but if someone gives me a list of 10 of the best 3DS games (5 of which will surely have the words super or Mario in it), I can give 10 games for Vita that are just as good.

I would like to test you on that.

Not in any specific order,

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Gravity Rush
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Persona 4: Golden
Resident Evil: Revelations
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
New Little King's Story
Ocarina of Time 3D
Tearaway (unreleased)
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
Tales of the Abyss
Ys: Memories of Celceta

I tried not to put any games with "Mario" in it.   I also tried my best to keep ports away, but I decided to put two on there since a top 10 without them seems incomplete. 

Now, I want to see your list of PS Vita games.  I have a PS Vita so this could help me.

Thanks for your reasonable and level-headed post.

I tried to match up the genres as best as I possibly could and so ended up substituting in games that fell below a 75 on Metacritic (Ragnarok Odyssey and New Little King's Story, although both have good user reviews) or are being released in the next month or two. I also tried to keep the number of exclusive games even, with 6 for both consoles, so no complaints about ports there.

Overall, quality seems to match up well, or in some cases, exceed that of what is on the 3DS.

Viktor said:
Nem said:

No doubt the Vita is the better hardware in both utility and interface.

It can give the 3DS a run for its money in terms of games if they dont get stuck in Japan. But at present the 3DS is just superior in terms of exclusives.

Also i reject the above lists of Vita exclusives. You have to include Ys Celceta. That is a great game. Also if were talking about every upcoming game on the 3DS you should do the same with the Vita. Toukiden, Freedom Wars, Valhalla knights 3, Dangonrompa (this is basically another ace attourney). Theres some more less known and others pending western release. Its not as bad and one sided as you make it sound, though the 3DS does win. If you add PSP exclsuives to that, wich you can buy very cheap on PSN then the Vita does impose itself.

Also, lets take into account 3DS games cost more than Vita games generally do. Its more expensive on the long term.

dual screen, clamshell design and 3D without glasses are all features that are a plus on 3DSs side and funnily it conviniently gets ignored and people just emphasize on graphics when talking about hardware. 

Do people actually like the 3D on the 3DS? I think Nintendo rolling out the 2DS shows it's not super important, and I hardly ever use it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Viktor said:

dual screen, clamshell design and 3D without glasses are all features that are a plus on 3DSs side and funnily it conviniently gets ignored and people just emphasize on graphics when talking about hardware. 

Do people actually like the 3D on the 3DS? I think Nintendo rolling out the 2DS shows it's not super important, and I hardly ever use it.

The main reason was that parents were complaining about 3D hurting kids eyes and all that jazz. Plus Nintendo was missing a huge market of kids below 7 and 8 years old.

But really, most people don't really care about 3D.

Nintendo and PC gamer

the problem with the vita is most of its games can be played on other systems while most 3DS games are exclusive to the console that is why the 3DS is a lot better then the vita cause its got more exclusives

Around the Network
osed125 said:
outlawauron said:
Viktor said:

The main reason was that parents were complaining about 3D hurting kids eyes and all that jazz. Plus Nintendo was missing a huge market of kids below 7 and 8 years old.

That's what I thought. I suppose you create it as bullet point for your list wars, but I really don't see something that no one uses as a positive. It'd be like bragging about 3G on Vita.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

JWeinCom said:
"Uncharted, Persona 3 golden, LBPVITA, both Rayman games, Killzone Mercenary, and soon to be Tearaway"

To justify the statement that the Vita's library is better than the 3DS, you list one game that hasn't come out yet, 2 multiplatform games (one of which is on the 3DS), two games that came out within the last two weeks (and one that came out today if you live in NA and a week ago if you live in Europe), and a post of a PS2 game. I love it.

I would counter with... New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem Awakening, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Kid Icarus Uprising, Etrian Odyssey IV, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart 7, Pilotwings Resort (very underrated game that's well worth the 20 bucks or less you can get it for), Nintendogs + Cats, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Final Fantasy Theatrythm, Rhythm Thief, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, and Shin Megami Tensei IV. If we're also including ports, multiplats, and non-existent games, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pokemon X/Y, Monster Hunter 4, Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time 3D, A Link Between Worlds, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney 5, Mario Golf, and Smash Bros 3DS.

If you like the Vita's library better, that's fine. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But if you're trying to argue with any level of objectivity that the Vita's library has anywhere close to as many quality games as the 3DS, you've got no leg to stand on.

Metas would suggest that the game libraries are pretty similar in quantity and quality.

Personally I want the games that Vita has more than the games 3DS has. More than anything though, I want dual analogue. Do have a 3DS as well though for the exclusives that interest me (CastleVania/Mario platformers etc.) but when it comes down to playtime. I think the Vita has seen 10x more use since release than the Vita has since a few weeks after it's launch.

Horses for courses though. I prefer racers, the Vita has a good selection of them, whilst 3DS pretty much just has Mario Kart.

As for whether the sales are fair. I'm glad 3DS is doing well. The other outcome would have been iOS/Android dominance (1 analogue is better than none!) and it shows there is still a demand for portable gaming. I'm also a long time Nintendo gamer having grown up on the NES and SNES and tbh... their SNES offerings still being pretty much the best games ever for me (guess this is why I view the indie stuff on Vita as games? whilst most of this forum pretends they don't exist).

Vita? I think it's sales are criminally low, it's an amazing system with a fantastic software lineup (to say otherwise is to either be ignorant or bias, you prefer them on other formats that's fair enough, but the no gaemz DO exist), but Sony have brought a lot of it on themselves. I appreciate the need for proprietary memory after how screwed over they were by PSP piracy especially in the West, which killed software sales here, despite the very strong userbase. However if you're going to mandate them, don't then also charge silly money for them! They've also failed to market their best titles effectively. There are some games on Vita (that also happen to be exclusive) that no other platform currently offers. They just sent them out to retail to die and get buried under all the other releases on other formats.

Killzone has just come out. 3DS will never be able to produce an experience like this, iOS and Android have nothing available that comes close either, what do they do? Just release it with no fanfare whatsoever. This is why no one is buying your console. They think there are no gaemz, because you don't tell anybody there are games available for it.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

animegaming said:

the problem with the vita is most of its games can be played on other systems while most 3DS games are exclusive to the console that is why the 3DS is a lot better then the vita cause its got more exclusives

Essentially, why is this even a debate is beyond me.

Heck, if you really need proof look at VGChartz itself, and compare the 3DS and PS Vita sales numbers on retail games, even taking into account the phantom digital sales which probably eat up 25% of actual sales (or 50% if you take the games given free via PS Plus), the Vita's still not touching the 3DS. I'm sure the tired excuse of "Oh its Mario" or "Because Monster Hunter Vita hasn't been announced" will pop up but I say quit talking about the imaginary internet girlfriend the Vita's main hope right now is Vita TV and the fact that it is the successor for Japanese developers that used to port PS2 software on the PSP and by now have graduated to the PS3 level tools as the PS4 is about to drop.

Let it go Vita fan, at least until it gets a legit blockbuster.

I don't name games, as others already did that. It's not only the top-class of games, also for smaller titles the 3DS has a big number. Add to that the DS-compatibility. I would say the 3DS has the best library of all consoles of all time (that statement may a bit subjective).

I think nobody can deny the 3DS has the more diverse library with more quantitiy and quality. That doesn't mean that someone might like the library of the Vita more, as the games match more with personal interests. I mean I do like the games released on WiiU (that's why I bought the system), but I wouldn't say it has a more diverse library than the PS3 or even a better lineup for this year. The same is true for Vita. Many in this thread may prefer the library of the Vita (and there are some interesting titles for me too), but it would be a bit outlandish to claim it has the better library overall.

And I would add - the Vita may lose to the 3DS, but it IS a great system! Losing against the 3DS is no shame.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

osed125 said:
outlawauron said:
Viktor said:

It also massively drains resources that the 3DS really needs to put into the actual games. I think the 2DS is also to justify the fact that stereoscopic 3D will start being omitted from 3DS titles in 2014 so that the resources can be used on improved visuals/frame rates etc. No evidence for this yet, but this is the feeling I get.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.