By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP rocks Ds in Japan

Soriku said:
WOW.

156 more units. Big deal. I wouldn't call it "rocked."

Definitely a misleading title, but its good to see the PSP holding its own against the DS.

Around the Network

Well I for one am glad the DS fad is finally ending, why would people choose the DS with its weak hardware, gimmicky control scheme and complete and utter lack of multimedia functions over the PSP, a device with far more horsepower (Its pretty much PS2 vs. N64), traditional and sensible control scheme and a huge array of functions besides games?

Don't say library either, compare million sellers lists and the DS has almost entirely casual games. I mean FFIII and Zelda are practically the only decent games on there, the rest is casual rubbish. The PSP however has pretty much only hardcore million sellers and 16 of them at that.

pimpcoop said:
So yeah one week is something to be excited about? WOW they are still down a ton and not getting any closer  

Thats where your wrong. They're 144 units closer!! 8===>   :)

more like "threw a pebble at."

Rath said:
Well I for one am glad the DS fad is finally ending, why would people choose the DS with its weak hardware, gimmicky control scheme and complete and utter lack of multimedia functions over the PSP, a device with far more horsepower (Its pretty much PS2 vs. N64), traditional and sensible control scheme and a huge array of functions besides games?

Don't say library either, compare million sellers lists and the DS has almost entirely casual games. I mean FFIII and Zelda are practically the only decent games on there, the rest is casual rubbish. The PSP however has pretty much only hardcore million sellers and 16 of them at that.

You're being sarcastic right?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

i actually think this trend can last a little while... there really are sooo many DS's in japan. the penetration of slim PSPs can go up, but DS really is pretty much saturated.

and clearly, there's a difference between slim PSP and the old PSPs, just like DS Lite and DS. i think in japan, people are still catching up to upgrading their PSPs to slim PSPs. just look at PSP sales in the last 12 weeks or something like that. it has been within striking distance of the DS for a while. so it's possible it's just a one time thing, but i wouldn't be terribly surprised if the sales pattern holds up.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Wow!! PSP rocks the DS for 144 units, is the end of the world, DS is finished, I lie a lot.

The DS has reached saturation in japan I think. Also there haven't been any huge big name titles released. When games like Kirby Super Star Deluxe and Fire Emblem and ofc Dragon quest hit DS it will go back to doing 100k+ a week, the new color should give it a boost as well when that comes around. DS will be back on top from next week, nothing to worry about a 144 units. Perhaps Nintendo should consider a price drop now though. psp has not rocked DS, merely inconvenienced it.

Lingyis said:
i actually think this trend can last a little while... there really are sooo many DS's in japan. the penetration of slim PSPs can go up, but DS really is pretty much saturated.

and clearly, there's a difference between slim PSP and the old PSPs, just like DS Lite and DS. i think in japan, people are still catching up to upgrading their PSPs to slim PSPs. just look at PSP sales in the last 12 weeks or something like that. it has been within striking distance of the DS for a while. so it's possible it's just a one time thing, but i wouldn't be terribly surprised if the sales pattern holds up.

Saturated at the current price point is a possibility, however I think there is room for price cutting to stimulate sales

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

SiegWahrheit said:
The 100 units aside..., PSP is head on head with DS again and in my opinion this is interesting enough!

Yeap ... thats all we can say . Maybe in this situation the PSP will be able to reach ~ 14-15 million lifetime in Japan :) Not far as much as the DS , but MS would kill for this numbers :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!