By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP rocks Ds in Japan

fkusumot said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bursche said:
My goodness... I guess the fad is over.

Yup, and just as it passed the previous fad, the PS2

Exactly. It's like the PSP is the new PS2 and the DS is the new Virtual Boy.

Yeah, right. 

But by DS defeating PS2, wouldn't that mean that Virtual boy is greater than PS2?  lol

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

i mean, at some point, it has to start selling more than the DS right.

for instance, the ps3 is outselling ps2.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:
i mean, at some point, it has to start selling more than the DS right.

for instance, the ps3 is outselling ps2.

Not really, PS3 is a follow up to the PS2, PSP and DS are different

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
redspear said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I think probably the lack of new titles is keeping DS from reaching its full sales, all the big titles are still a while off, and maybe at this point a Japanese price drop should be considered, I mean its close to overtaking the PS2 in Japan

The DS already outsold the PS2 in Japan according to MC.

Ah ok, well VGC has them a little less, so either it has or its very close, but either way it may be time to think price drop in japan, what is the current price there anyways?

Edit according to Amazon Japan, its still the same price it launched at 16800 Yen, so its an even more impressive feat, considering that it has yet to budge in price

Exactly, it's still at 16,800 yen, which is about ~$156. That's one reason I haven't picked one up, yet.

The DS is sooo much more popular than the PSP here in JP. I always see people with a DS on the train, etc. Small kids, HS kids, people in their 20-30's, businessmen, etc. Hell my gf's mom even has a DS(a pink one)! I usually only see JHS/HS boys and sometimes guys in their 20's with PSPs.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

@ Ds fans - lol at you all getting shitty :P So what! let psp fans enjoy our little win. Wow it's not like the psp beats the ds every week, so it's good to see it sell more in a week. I'm wondering why it sold so much and why the ds is low. Anyways - ps brands are moving forward.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network
tibisor said:
When Dragon Quest IX gets released we'll look back at this thread and... Oh, will we laugh...

We will be laughing much sooner than that. When will people learn not to make fools of themselves by posting stuff like this. I mean the 360 actually outsold the PS3 in Japan last year for one week. Followed by the PS3 topping the both the 360 and the Wii in Japan. In the greater scheme of things neither feat mattered.  You post trends, not isolated incidents. 

Just sold my DS cuz its not cool anymore.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:
Just sold my DS cuz its not cool anymore.

Sell it to me, i'm proud to be uncool

omg DS going down confirmed!!

FishyJoe said:
I'd bet they could drop the DSL price to like $79.99 and still make money.

I'd rather have a thin and sexy DS though, like the Macbook Air! The Japanese would go crazy over it.

Hmm... what would they call it? Already used lite, sony used slim... I know, they should call it the DS Sexy! Good call fishyjoe ; )

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut