By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U really in trouble?

Tagged games:

Anfebious said:

I love Nintendo games but also third party games.

But it seems more convenient to wait to get the PS4 unitl the very end of the generation. That way the PS4 is already going to have a price cut and I can select the third party games at a cheaper price. This gen I bought a lot of third party games that in the end where no worth the high price of 60 dollars. I could just wait till the end, get the PS4 and get the third party games I want cheaper .

I am getting all three consoles most likely this gen, but definitely PS4 and Wii U first. If Titanfall comes to PS4, I might not have any need for a Xbox One though. Wii U and PS4 are definitely must haves.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

It wasn't long ago that I said the Wii U would be fine but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not seeing any excitement about Mario except for the people you would expect. The last Zelda didn't do the series any favors and I'm wondering if with Mario Kart 8 people are going to be like, "you know, I already have MK7." Unless you're a die-hard Nintendo fan, the best games are going to be elsewhere.

That entire paragraph Pokoko. God damn. Those korean soap operas have surely heightened your sense for theatrics. Asking questions like why would people buy the next iteration of the franchise when they already can play one. Might as well shut the doors on the entire industry. 

green_sky said:
pokoko said:

It wasn't long ago that I said the Wii U would be fine but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not seeing any excitement about Mario except for the people you would expect. The last Zelda didn't do the series any favors and I'm wondering if with Mario Kart 8 people are going to be like, "you know, I already have MK7." Unless you're a die-hard Nintendo fan, the best games are going to be elsewhere.

That entire paragraph Pokoko. God damn. Those korean soap operas have surely heightened your sense for theatrics. Asking questions like why would people buy the next iteration of the franchise when they already can play one. Might as well shut the doors on the entire industry. 

I'm not talking about buying a few games, I'm talking about buying an entire system for a few games.  I'm not sure people are going to do it in vast numbers.  I think a lot of people who bought the Wii are satisfied with what they got from the Wii.  Maybe I'm wrong and the Nintendo stand-by franchises will boost hardware by a massive amount.  Only time will tell.

wii U is realy in trouble.
wii U isnt managing to get the people who bought wii. In america the wii owners jumped to x360, and they dont need wii U.
thinking about exclusives, a big one will be either in 3DS(talking about smash bros). MK8 experience can be found in other consoles. wii fit/party/sports dont have the same apeall as before, and we can find similar games in x360 with kinect experience. zelda is a remake.
Maybe mario can help, but the franchise is saturated...
the new zelda could help a lot, but will take a long time to launch.
X could help a lot, but jrpg(bar pokemon) arent in a good situation.
animal crossing and pokemon fits better in portables.
DK can help a little, but there's a recent game in 3DS..
the other IPs from nintendo consoles are not good system sellers.

Beside all of this, it will compete with ps3, x360, one, ps4 and 3ds. the biggest competition ever.

i hope im wrong.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Anfebious said:

I love Nintendo games but also third party games.

But it seems more convenient to wait to get the PS4 unitl the very end of the generation. That way the PS4 is already going to have a price cut and I can select the third party games at a cheaper price. This gen I bought a lot of third party games that in the end where no worth the high price of 60 dollars. I could just wait till the end, get the PS4 and get the third party games I want cheaper .

I am getting all three consoles most likely this gen, but definitely PS4 and Wii U first. If Titanfall comes to PS4, I might not have any need for a Xbox One though. Wii U and PS4 are definitely must haves.

Aside for Halo Franchise WiiU+PS4 is a great pair for the generation! Im really leaning toward getting a PS4 holiday 2014 or 2015!

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Yeah, the Wii U is going to be seen as a failure because: A) it followed the Wii, and B) Nintendo told people that they were going to make it appealing to the core gamers who had strayed. The first part is unfortunate because they were never going to come close to the Wii's numbers but the second part is their responsibility. As it stands, the Wii U is going to steal almost no customers away from Sony or Microsoft while losing a good chunk of its Wii base.

Inexplicably, it has nothing major lined up for the holidays against two consoles that are killing it in pre-orders. It's not going to be pretty.

There are a couple flaws in ur post

1. Mario Kart has historically been much bigger on consoles than handhelds. Mario Kart on GBA did 5.5m vs 7m for Mario Kart on GC. Mario Kart on DS did 22m vs 34m for the Wii version. Mario Kart for 3DS is over 8m and rising so in theory it should do over 10m on Wii U.

2. The second mainline Zelda on a console always sell much worse than the first. NES-6.5m vs 4.4m, N64-7.6m vs 3.4m, Wii-6.8m vs 3.7

3. Its kinda rediculous to say they have nothing big over the holidays. 3D Mario and mainline Donkey Kong have always sold over 5m with the exception of DKC3. Also both Wii Fit games have sold over 20m and Wii Party sold 8m, who knows what they will sell on Wii U but to say those 4 series arent big is silly.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

haha funny question...of curse it is in trouble..we knew that long time ago..they had to cut the price already...and by looking the number it has done so far..it is very obvious.

tbone51 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Aside for Halo Franchise WiiU+PS4 is a great pair for the generation! Im really leaning toward getting a PS4 holiday 2014 or 2015!

Yep, my only hang up is really Halo. If Titanfall comes sooner than later in 2014 I will not hesitate to look away from the Xbone. I'll just play halo at a friends house. It's only one game.

jonathanalis said:
wii U is realy in trouble.
wii U isnt managing to get the people who bought wii. In america the wii owners jumped to x360, and they dont need wii U.
thinking about exclusives, a big one will be either in 3DS(talking about smash bros). MK8 experience can be found in other consoles. wii fit/party/sports dont have the same apeall as before, and we can find similar games in x360 with kinect experience. zelda is a remake.
Maybe mario can help, but the franchise is saturated...
the new zelda could help a lot, but will take a long time to launch.
X could help a lot, but jrpg(bar pokemon) arent in a good situation.
animal crossing and pokemon fits better in portables.
DK can help a little, but there's a recent game in 3DS..
the other IPs from nintendo consoles are not good system sellers.

Beside all of this, it will compete with ps3, x360, one, ps4 and 3ds. the biggest competition ever.

i hope im wrong.

Like I said in my other post, Mario Kart has always sold better on consoles despite having much smaller install bases and how do u know Wii Sports/Fit/Party dont still have a ton of appeal? They havent released yet so there is no way of knowing how popular they still are.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Red_Hawk-47 said:
haha funny question...of curse it is in trouble..we knew that long time ago..they had to cut the price already...and by looking the number it has done so far..it is very obvious.

Many consoles cut the price in the first year so I wouldnt say that is any indication of being in trouble. SNES, PS1, Saturn, N64, DC, XB, GC, DS, PSP, 3DS all had price cuts within the first year.