By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U really in trouble?

Tagged games:

Here's a list of available and upcoming Wii U 3rd party games (most DL only games excluded, games not made but funded by Nintendo included):

ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter Tri, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Scribblenauts: Unlimited; Assassin's Creed III, Batman: Arkham City, Skylanders Giants, Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, ESPN: Sports Connection, Darksiders II, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Mass Effect 3, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Disney Infinity, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper 2012, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Transformers: Prime, James Bond 007: Legends, Just Dance 4, Tank! Tank! Tank!, Ninja Gaiden 3, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, NBA 2K13, The Amazing Spider-Man, Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, Zumba Fitness: World Party, Skylanders SWAP Force, Just Dance 2014, The LEGO Movie Videogame, Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know!, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Disney's DuckTales Remastered, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Young Justice: Legacy, Toki Tori 2, Trine 2, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Resident Evil: Revelations, Batman: Arkham Origins, Project CARS, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Watch Dogs, Rayman Legends, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Sonic Lost World.

Now add all those good to excellent available and upcoming Nintendo games to that list and you have your answer: Even if it ends up in third place, even if it will sell only 20 million units, the system is not in trouble.

Around the Network

Something that a lot of gamers and blogs fail to realise is that this gen has been a real blood bath and how many studios and publishers don´t exist anymore or have really been hit hard (Atari/Infogrames). Just take a look at Sony, in 2013 they shut down 3 of their own studios. We have also to consider how some attempts have really lead to nowhere like EAs Dead Space series, a series that really flopped with it´s third installment, the same goes for Lost Planet 3.

The point is while in the beginning of this gen (360/PS3/Wii) there was a huge enthusiasm across the board including studios and publishers this time around there are far less studios and publishers around and the remaining ones mostly stick to their old guns. While blogs and fanboys really try hard to convince people that there actually is a lot of enthusiasm all I can see is that most publishers are very vary about the new gen this is confirmed by their concentration on sequels and most of the time their unwillingless to take more risks. The most obvious reason is the unprecedent amount of cross-gen titles which makes clear that they actually don´t have such a great confidence regarding next-gen systems for the immediate future.

The result is many sequels and concentration on established franchises and ironically despite all the complains WiiU actually is getting the most important ones like CoD, Batman, Splinter Cell and AsCreed. At this point only UbiSoft is trying to establish a considerably amount of new IPs and surprise games like Watch Dogs will be also available on WiiU. Of course there is EA with there weird stance but this has more to do with their cooperation with Microsoft and launch of the Xone than anything else. I would be really surprised if there won´t be another Fifa and Madden on WiiU starting next year.

Thanks to everyone who answered to my thread. I wasn't responding to any of the posts because I fell asleep... It was 2 AM here.

What I can see from the posts is that the Wii U is not really in trouble, It is the perfect machine for someone who loves Nintendo franchises! Even if it doesn't get all the third party of the world, I will probably enjoy it a lot.

For all the third party I could end up buying a PS 4 at the end of the generation IF there are worthy games.

This generation I spent money on third party games like, Mirror's Edge, Call of Duty, Fighting games, Assassin's Creed and some more... and I was very dissapointed by them. The 60 dollars price tag was ridiculous. I finished the game and left it there... In my shelf, to collect dust. But as the generation went further I got a Wii and enjoyed masterpieces like Super Mario Galaxy. I spent around 100 hours with that game! I did all mario and luigi stars! I took me a whole month! But it was worth every penny. Also skyward sword! I did everything and finished the adventure with 60 hours and I still haven't beaten the hero quest!

Besides consoles here are very expensive and a serious investment... So I have to be quite careful in my console of choice. PC is out of the question... I know it would be fairly cheap as time goes by, but I don't have the disposable income to finance the inital investment of a high end PC.

I am glad that everyone took their time to give their opinions and helped me to see that Wii U is just fine. The next weekend I will be a happy Wii U owner.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

To be honest I won´t buy any multiplatform titles on any console for the simple reason that PC version always will have the definitive versions of games and that on PC there is no problem with backwardscompatibility. With console versions you are stuck with low framerates while on PC all your games will benefit if you upgrade your system. So to me such multigames have no importance personally for a console purchase.

Viktor said:

To be honest I won´t buy any multiplatform titles on any console for the simple reason that PC version always will have the definitive versions of games and that on PC there is no problem with backwardscompatibility. With console versions you are stuck with low framerates while on PC all your games will benefit if you upgrade your system. So to me such multigames have no importance personally for a console purchase.

i agree with this, but sometimes the exprience on the console might be superior, i liked Splinter Cell's gamepad integration, so i bought the WiiU version, might buy Watch Dogs on it as well if they use the Gamepad in  cool ways.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
If you only care about Nintendo games what should it matter? Next gen is going to blow what Nintendo does away in scale, graphics and technique, but maybe not style and variation. Nintendo will definitely be left behind, but if you are a Nintendo fan you get to enjoy Nintendos next offerings.

lol at this post

nothing worng with his post. Compared to 3DS, the WIi U is looking like a poor cousin. The amount of awesome games coming to 3DS is mind blowing. Wii U needs more new IPs and revival of some old gamecube/n64 franchises they still own.

It´s selling even less than the GC was, so yes it´s in trouble at the moment, but things are bound to improve once the heavy hitters start coming..of course, it remains to be seen to what extent.

JGarret said:
It´s selling even less than the GC was, so yes it´s in trouble at the moment, but things are bound to improve once the heavy hitters start coming..of course, it remains to be seen to what extent.

I am sure there is going to be a turn around. I am sure of it! Besides Sony was in trouble with the PS 3 in it's first years and it made an awesome comeback!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
JGarret said:

I am sure there is going to be a turn around. I am sure of it! Besides Sony was in trouble with the PS 3 in it's first years and it made an awesome comeback!

One of the things I really like about the industry is it´s just so damn unpredictable.Whenever a new gen starts it´s a whole new game, back at square zero.

Nintendo made a killing with the Wii, and here we have its successor, selling below my (and I take it, most people´s) worst expectations.

Well, the wii u will prob end the gen with low to decent sales if there isn't a major turn around. Nintendo systems are lacking in the technical department compared to the other two and you will be missing out on alot of really big third party games. Still, Nintendo will prob keep supporting it and I can't imagine them cutting it off. So, it should be fine if you just mainly want nin franchises. To name a few
Dragon Age Inquisition
Destiny
The Witcher 3
Thief
Battlefield 4
Here's the incomplete list of games for all 3 in 2014
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=167447