By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda/Gearbox point out why they don't support Wii U

TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
There is some truth to what Bethesda is saying here. Because MS and Sony are not in the games business to make money, 3rd parties can go to them and say "make a system with these specs!", and they will do it, because they don't need to make money and do need 3rd party support for their division to stay relevant. Nintendo, on the other hand, can't and won't lose large amounts of money on hardware so that 3rd parties can have the specs they want. Whether the audience will buy their product is another matter - I think it will but certainly the early Wii U sales indicate a younger audience has been the early adopters.

I think Nintendo did anticipate slightly weaker offerings from Sony and MS. It was widely known that 3rd parties were asking for upwards of 8gig of RAM. Usually hardware makers give them less than what they want, so I think Nintendo was expecting 4 gigs on PS4, keeping the 2 gigs on Wii U reasonably close. I think this is a result of Sony switching to the paid online model like MS. Nintendo really needs to adapt this model as it has allowed Sony and MS to hide the true cost of their systems in yearly fees. The PS4 and XB1 would be money-losing disasters if not for the extra $50 owners will be paying each year. If Nintendo also had such revenue it could have up-spec'd the Wii U considerably.

Nintendo could've afforded to make the Wii U more powerful, as the devs said and has been said year after year, gen after gen. They don't consult with anyone, they do what they want to do and when everyone else has worked with third party on what they want to make as well as what they like, Nintendo is left. The only time Nintendo gets the support is if Nintendo is working within spec range. Next gen its just not happening. When the 360 and PS3 get cut off the Wii U is cut off. Nintendo only has themselves to bla

It's not gen after gen. It's a very recent thing. And Nintendo was very wise to make Wii so weak. Time will tell if it was wise to not spec the Wii U a little better.

Nintendo was not wise if they wanted third party support. They didn't know how powerful devs were truly expecting the next generation to be. Look back at reggies statements on CNN about how powerful their version of COD was and how the CNN anchor. If their graphics were dramatically better than the PS3 and 360 they would be on par with the PC version of CD which of course, its not. Time has already shown that the Wii U is already being pushed. The only major advantage the Wii U has is a ram advantage over the current gen consoles and slightly better graphics. Even in BF4 the PS4/XB1 version of BF4 will be at high settings opposed to ultra high settings on PC at its max and and current gen consoles will be at medium to low settings (most likely low just like . The Wii U by all means should be equal with Sony and Microsofts next gen consoles, but its just not going to happen.

This is the video where Reggie talks to the CNN anchor. I used to defend Nintendo about this stuff....sorry....not anymore. I learned my lesson after doing a little research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137X2LcF-wM&feature=player_embedded#t=261

As I told Devil Rising, not only would devs have to dumb down the multiplats for Nintendo (which theres no problem as long as the 360 and PS3 are being supported) but they would also have to find the resources in tandem to make games for the same dumbed down multiplats the 360 and PS3 are getting. If the games come late? Ok, it makes sense to create a special ported version, kind of like Sony's DLC policy on late games, but with Nintendo they expect devs to break their backs for them and thats just not going to cut it any longer. 

The only company that seems to have a contractual dispute with Nintendo is EA. They both need to get it together there to have an agreement of the online and location of Origin so Nintendo can at least experience more EA titles outside of Mass Effect 3 (which should've come with the trilogy).

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
outlawauron said:

There's far more to an online platform than just its shop (which is far worse than others in setup and it's still frustrating that they charge tax), and the quality of online play which varies game by game (whether or not it has dedicated servers).

Tax depends on your state/country. I live in Oklahoma and I don't pay a penny more than the price of a game. Does MS and Sony not charge for tax across all areas?

I live in Louisiana. Nintendo and Apple are the only two companies who charge me tax for online purchases.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

burninmylight said:
outlawauron said:

There's far more to an online platform than just its shop (which is far worse than others in setup and it's still frustrating that they charge tax), and the quality of online play which varies game by game (whether or not it has dedicated servers).

Tax depends on your state/country. I live in Oklahoma and I don't pay a penny more than the price of a game. Does MS and Sony not charge for tax across all areas?

Tax depends on your state and country, but Sony doesn't include tax in PSN Purchases.

Bethesda and Gearbox have never supported a Nintendo-console why would Nintendo consult them?

Carl2291 said:
UltimateUnknown said:

-Nintendo's online is subpar when next gen seems to be focusing more and more on the co-op/competitive experience.

This is alarming.

Bethesda struggle to make single player games that work well, so Bethesdas quality assurance team is going to shit its pants in the coming Years.

Given the unforgiveable amount of glitches in virtually every Bethesda game, their efforts to make even more complex games ain't gonna be pretty.

Around the Network
melbye said:
Bethesda and Gearbox have never supported a Nintendo-console why would Nintendo consult them?

Well if you believe Nintendo they were trying to make a big push for 3rd party support this time around, wouldn't that include trying to build relationships with companies that don't already make games on their platforms?  Otherwise you're just left with trying to get increased support from the companies that you already have a good relationship with which will only get you so far.  

DevilRising said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. They are all saying the same thing. Especially the known PC devs who have the highest standard.

Sorry, but claiming that Bethesda and Gearbox, both know for somewhat shoddy development and various other issues, having the "highest standard", is laughable.

Agreed.

Gearbox makes more crap games than good ones in my experience, and Bethesda seems incapable of making a game that's not crippled by glitches.

Nintendo doesn't want the type of third party support MS/Sony lobby for. They've even said it themselves.

They make their hardware based around their own creative fetishes and if they can accommodate a third party request here and there (like clickable analogs) they'll consider it, but that's about it.

curl-6 said:
DevilRising said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. They are all saying the same thing. Especially the known PC devs who have the highest standard.

Sorry, but claiming that Bethesda and Gearbox, both know for somewhat shoddy development and various other issues, having the "highest standard", is laughable.

Agreed.

Gearbox makes more crap games than good ones in my experience, and Bethesda seems incapable of making a game that's not crippled by glitches.

You just like Devil are so focused on disinfranchising them you forget that Gearbox made Borderlands which has been a hit franchise this gen. Skyrim...well you know the sales. We shouldn't even be talking about what they did, just their relationships to Nintendo. Stop trying to discount them to dodge the fact that Nintendo doesn't play well with others unless they are willing to work within their perameters in gaming. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Agreed.

You just like Devil are so focused on disinfranchising them you forget that Gearbox made Borderlands which has been a hit franchise this gen. Skyrim...well you know the sales. We shouldn't even be talking about what they did, just their relationships to Nintendo. Stop trying to discount them to dodge the fact that Nintendo doesn't play well with others unless they are willing to work within their perameters in gaming. 

I have played both Borderlands and Skyrim, and found them both to be seriously flawed. Given that neither dev provides content that appeals to me, their lack of Nintendo support wouldn't hurt me even if I was a Nintendo only gamer, which I am not.