By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP . Will it ever sell software ?

Anyone who knows me can say that Im a huge PSP fan ... but as much as I hate this , I have to admit , that PSP software sales arent stellar . I still stand at my stance that they are overall good , but compared to other consoles , its not much .

Still seeing that lately hardware was selling excelently ( hell it even outsold the DS this week in Japan ) , and big games like CC and CoO are comming , do you think that the PSP has any chance to become at least a decent software pusher ?

IMO , this is possible , it will never be a top seller , but IMO that 60k/game overall could be released to over the 100k region ... 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

people seem to think that people buy psps for it's media capabilities. while that is true, its not the primary reason. software sales are so low because ALOT of people mod their psp to get FREE software. if sony managed to lock the psp for good, software sales will either spike, or hardware sales will plummet. maybe they dont want to ris losing sales by licking the psp? because they could easily lock the psp for good (look at how solid the ps3 is), but make half ass attempts at it. why pay for games when you can get it for free?

psp software is suffering from the home brew scene and the fact that imo, 50% of people buying one are using for multi-media s opposed to gaming

„why pay for games when you can get it for free?“ ...because it's stealing!

Piracy is not good for the PSP. Sony should of found a firmware update to prevent the hacking that is provided present.

PSP is a good handheld device that showed excellent competition against the DS. Good software and excellent graphics are not anything if your system can easily be broken and cracked into.

I will purchase a PSP when FFVII: Crisis Core releases. That game looks amazing in my eyes!

Around the Network

Some games sell, like last week winning soccer was number 10, and then there was Monster hunter, and this week threat of axis will probably be in the top 10, so there are some sales, but yeah its mostly a media device first

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@issun

so is limewire, ares, torrents and all the p2p software, doesnt stop them from being so popular! people will use piracy, because it's sooo hard to get caught.

@DOATS1

Technically those programs are not stealing.

My websites

http://catprog.org

Online games that I play:

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/?Catprog

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Some games sell, like last week winning soccer was number 10, and then there was Monster hunter, and this week threat of axis will probably be in the top 10, so there are some sales, but yeah its mostly a media device first

Well at least some companys are making a profit out of it ( Square , EA , Capcom , Konami ) ... at leats this will secure 3rd party support untill the end of its life :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

well right now it is even selling more then it says because ioi doesnt still have the full charts and said that there are alot of psp games that are selling and around 3k.
and with big releases i think it will improve but not to much

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"