By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP . Will it ever sell software ?

CrazzyMan said:
Using a copy of software that you never paid for, very illegal.

IT`s CALLED SHARING.
SHARING is illegal? - LOL.

you DON`T have to pay for everything, to have ability to use it. YES you DO? LOL.

Ok, end "offtopic"(though low software sales on ds/psp because of sharing). You have your opinion, we ours.

Sharing is illegal. People have been fined and gone to jail for it. It's not my opinion, it's the law. 

Around the Network

I'm very skeptical that the PSP will ever see strong software sales because third party publishers are (probably) going to stop producing many titles for the PSP being that they can spend less money developing a Nintendo DS game and it will (probably) see higher sales.

Well, atleast that`s NOT illegal in all the world. =)))
@FishyJoe, So, in USA p2p servers are forbidden? =))

@HappySqurriel,
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - DS
Avg Ratio: 85%
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Nintendo 1 week 40,572
It`s ALL about CASUAL games.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

HappySqurriel said:

I'm very skeptical that the PSP will ever see strong software sales because third party publishers are (probably) going to stop producing many titles for the PSP being that they can spend less money developing a Nintendo DS game and it will (probably) see higher sales.

In the same time not all games sell well on the DS . Games like NFS , FIFA , Madden , PES ( read : sports games ) ususally have atter sales on the PSP , so total 3rd party support loss is probably impossible :)

BTW : the PSP 08 games list is ready , feel free to check it out :) 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

CrazzyMan said:
Well, atleast that`s NOT illegal in all the world. =)))
@FishyJoe, So, in USA p2p servers are forbidden? =))

Crazzy, p2p by itself is not illegal. Using p2p to steal (or as you put it, share) copyrighted material is illegal in the US, as in most countries of the world. Where do you live?

Edit: Looked at your profile. Lithuania, eh? Well, your position makes a little more sense, since your country has thusfar not recognized prosecution of ip crimes. Still, even in Lithuania, it remains illegal. It's just weak enforcement.

Around the Network

@CrazzyMan

Who do you try to convince ? yourself ?
Sharing software with others who didn't pay for it is piracy / stealing.
If you share 20 copies, you have to pay for 20 copies, as simply as that.
And it's illegal in the rest of the world as well.

FishyJoe said:
Lord N said:
FishyJoe said:
CrazzyMan said:
@FishyJoe, so if i donwload shared mp3 song from friend computer, which he bought, i stole the song?

if i download shared backup image of game, which he bought, again stealing? nonsence.

Unless he gives you the original paid copy it is stealing. There is no doubt about it.

There's plenty of doubt about it, because you can't steal intellectual property.

Slealing(or theft) concerns the taking away of physical property from the owner, so unless you went into a store and took a game without paying for it, you haven't stolen anything as the copyright holder has everything they had before.

Try telling the judge this. You can absolutely steal intellectual property. The patent and copyright laws exist for this very purpose.

Its not stealing, its IP infringement.

Its a civil case, not a criminal one. Thats why you can't go to prison for filesharing.

You can however go to jail for bootleging, IE pretending you are selling the original. 

@Willem, PIRACY - is when YOU SELL software, which you didn`t create.
SHARING - is when you GIVE your purchase to anyone, because you have RIGHTS to do with your priority whatever you want.

why should i convience myself, that SHARING is BAD, since it was NORMAL/OK for last 10 000 years?

So, what now, IF i borrow a BOOK from a friend and SCANNED some pages, i DID a crime? If i don`t buy a book, i can`t USE those papers? Just listen to yourself how RIDICILOUS you sound.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:

@Willem, PIRACY - is when YOU SELL software, which you didn`t create.
SHARING - is when you GIVE your purchase to anyone, because you have RIGHTS to do with your priority whatever you want.

why should i convience myself, that SHARING is BAD, since it was NORMAL/OK for last 10 000 years?

So, what now, IF i borrow a BOOK from a friend and SCANNED some pages, i DID a crime? If i don`t buy a book, i can`t USE those papers? Just listen to yourself how RIDICILOUS you sound.

The situation with scanning pages from a book you are describing could be considered fair use. Fair use is a concept in US copyright law that allows for reproduction of small portions of the work for editorial or educational use. It's a fairly complicated legal concept.

Copyright law, however, says that distribution of copyrighted materials (even for free) is illegal

In other words, he does not sound ridiculous. He sounds right.

Galaki said:
here we go again.
Every time PSP software thread comes up, some people are going to blame piracy.

Well, it's diverging into IP law now. Does that count?

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.