By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP . Will it ever sell software ?

@naznatips, YOU are cherry picking CASUAL games. Games like Mario, brain training, pokemons, nintendo dogs are all Casual stuff.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Final Fantasy III DS - the only not casual games from your list.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

I'm in the same boat, I don't mind supporting the PSP, lord knows theres plenty I want on it, but just the other day I saw the imported version of Guitaroo man (I can't find the English version near me) for $49 bucks -_-; My waiting list is fairly extensive :( I just won't pay full price >

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Mario is pretty casual , just like Loco Roco ... and the truth is that not many hardcore games sell on the DS . Mortal Kombat 3 on the DS sold less than 20k , while Mortal Kombat on the PSP sold 600k ... thats a huge difference . Still , the fact remains , the DS overall has much batter software sales ( 300 million vs. 100 million last time I heard ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Mario is pretty casual , just like Loco Roco ... and the truth is that not many hardcore games sell on the DS . Mortal Kombat 3 on the DS sold less than 20k , while Mortal Kombat on the PSP sold 600k ... thats a huge difference . Still , the fact remains , the DS overall has much batter software sales ( 300 million vs. 100 million last time I heard ) .

I honestly think that the "Hard-Core" and "Casual" debates are moronic because few people will agree on what makes one game "Hard-Core" and another game "Casual" ...

A better way to look at it would be how "Conventional" games were selling on the Nintendo DS in relation to how "Conventional" games have sold on the GBA. Without doing an indepth analysis I can't say for sure, but I see little evidence that the Nintendo DS's success with "Unconventional" games like Nintendogs, Brain Training, and Animal Crossing has had any negative impact on how "Conventional" games like Final Fantasy 3, Pokemon or Mario have sold.

The PSP's poor software sales are partially caused because most of its high quality big name games are games in genres and series that have always performed poorly on handheld devices. Sony's mistake with the PSP in my opinion was it ignored the market that existed and built a device for a market they wanted to exist. My sister is very representative of a lot of handheld gamers I have known and she moved into handheld gaming in the mid 90s because she (REALLY) disliked the change from 2D games to 3D games (in particular "cinematic" experiences); Sony should have looked at gamers like her and produced games that appealed to her rather than producing the types of games that console gamers like. Needless to say my Sister plays a lot of "Conventional" and "Unconventional" games on her DS inspite of the fact that she was really impressed with the screen and form factor of the PSP when it was first released ...

Meh, I'll let others deal with this.  I'm tired of arguing.

Around the Network
Luppien said:
@fishyjoe

Not that i aprove of software piracy but in some countrys(like mine) its perfectly legal to share like the user above said. you wont get in jail or get any trouble for it. its only illegal to spread the software here but you can download it allyou want.

Where do you live?

I am almost certain that its like a lot of countries where it is illegal to download pirated software\music but there is absolutley no enforcement of the issue.

@Crazzy.

Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (delete)Nintendo20,0797.9713.65m
New Super Mario Bros (delete)Nintendo14,2878.0913.16m

Mario Kart DS (delete)Nintendo8,4877.909.45m

Super Mario 64 DS (delete)Nintendo3,4427.855.68m

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (delete)Nintendo20,7038.033.52m

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (delete)Nintendo8737.803.10m

Yoshi Island DS (delete)Nintendo2,3917.872.80m
Pokemon Ranger (delete)Nintendo9976.112.40m

Sonic Rush (delete)Sega2,1357.562.13m
Final Fantasy III DS (delete)Square Enix2,4127.621.96m

Kirby Squeak Squad (delete)Nintendo1,2277.151.87m
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (delete)Square Enix2,4567.531.77m

Mario Hoops 3 On 3 (delete)Nintendo1,0135.861.70m

Mario & Luigi 2: Partners in Time (delete)Nintendo1,1937.331.49m

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2: Time / Darkness Exploration Team (delete)N/A3,7667.851.40m

Removing all games that could be construed as casual and leaving only RPGs\platformers\dungeon crawlers\racers\sports games and these titles have still sold over 2.5x the amount that all the PSP million sellers put together sell. 

In any case, I think the PSP is never going to gain a huge base of games simply because third parties will see that software is not selling and thus will not make games for it. The amount of piracy that goes on with the PSP is simply astounding and I feel that really hurts it. 

HappySqurriel said:
hunter_alien said:

I honestly think that the "Hard-Core" and "Casual" debates are moronic because few people will agree on what makes one game "Hard-Core" and another game "Casual" ...

A better way to look at it would be how "Conventional" games were selling on the Nintendo DS in relation to how "Conventional" games have sold on the GBA. Without doing an indepth analysis I can't say for sure, but I see little evidence that the Nintendo DS's success with "Unconventional" games like Nintendogs, Brain Training, and Animal Crossing has had any negative impact on how "Conventional" games like Final Fantasy 3, Pokemon or Mario have sold.

The PSP's poor software sales are partially caused because most of its high quality big name games are games in genres and series that have always performed poorly on handheld devices. Sony's mistake with the PSP in my opinion was it ignored the market that existed and built a device for a market they wanted to exist. My sister is very representative of a lot of handheld gamers I have known and she moved into handheld gaming in the mid 90s because she (REALLY) disliked the change from 2D games to 3D games (in particular "cinematic" experiences); Sony should have looked at gamers like her and produced games that appealed to her rather than producing the types of games that console gamers like. Needless to say my Sister plays a lot of "Conventional" and "Unconventional" games on her DS inspite of the fact that she was really impressed with the screen and form factor of the PSP when it was first released ...

Well usually when I say something is hardcore , I really think of a hard game . Maybe its just me , but NSMB or Mario Kart where IMO way to easy to finish ... shure , you could unlock tons of stuff , but its not the same . In the same time look at Dementium : The Ward , its and M rated horror survival , that again sold extremly poorly on the DS , and Im more than shure that it would have sold at least as much on the PSP if not more .  Still ,  I have to agree with the second part of your argue ... the PSP was taken as a console , and for a handheld , that is not the best aproach . The DS has tons of great hardcore games , unfortunatly they dont sell as well as they should IMO ( not that the PSP games would on the other hand ) .  Seriously , Im sad that this thread turned into a PSP vs. DS battle , because thats not really what I intended :(  

Well yeah , Madden is pretty popular in the US , ad it fits well the PSP :)

I don't think the PSP will be able to sell larger amounts of software until the price of games is lowered and Sony does something about the piracy. IMO the reason that games like COD4, COD5 and Assassin's Creed are on/going to be on the DS but not the PSP is because the developers are worried about the amount of piracy that happens on the PSP.

CrazzyMan said:
@naznatips, YOU are cherry picking CASUAL games. Games like Mario, brain training, pokemons, nintendo dogs are all Casual stuff.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Final Fantasy III DS - the only not casual games from your list.

mario and pokemon are def not casual

There are millions of hardcore mario and pokemon fans out there!