By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4/XboxOne Total Budget Estimated!!!

spemanig said:
BlkPaladin said:

One for the WiiU:

WiiU - 299.99 (The Zelda Bundle)

USB HD 3TB (Seagate, its USB 3.0 but its 2.0bc with an ac adapter) - $140 (newegg)

Wii U can only take up to 2TB, and on Amazon that's $100.

Two games - $120 (At the maximum price because they vary, and Ubisoft loves digital sales.)

Pro Controler - $50.00(Gamestop)

Wiimote and numchuck - $55.00(gamestop)

I think that it should be noted that because of backwards compatability, most, if not all, people will already have this.

Wii U USB Charge Cable - $10.00 (gamestop)

That comes with the Pro controller, so I don't know what this does.

Sub Total - $675 (The totals are round up)

Sales Tax (6%) - $41

Grand Total - $716

The Hard Drive, charge cable and one of the two controller options are optional so here it is without the opitional items. (I removed the pro controller)

I would remove the Wii Remote + Nunchuck instead, considering that although they work, the main additional controller for the Wii U is the pro controller.

Sub Total - $470.00

Sales Tax (6%) - $29.00

Grand Total - $499.00

So this set up ends with Three retail games.

FIxed. Comments in BOLD. I'd also note that because of the Wind Waker bundle, a lot of people just won't be purchasing two more games on top of that. Rather, they'll purchase just one. In the likely event that that happens, here's the price with only one purchased game (since it already comes with one):

Sub Total - $410.00

Sales Tax (6%) - $24.60

Grand Total - $434.60

So this setup ends with 2 retail games like the competitors.

I was being purposly expensive, the WiiU can use a 3TB HD but only formats it to 2TB. (This was added with the December 2012 OS patch.)

The USB Charge cable is for the WiiU GamePad it is more of a convience thing, then actually needed because the GamePad comes with an AC adapter. Again as I said I was being purposly expensive for those who like to say what about this to get a "complete" gameplay experience.

Around the Network

this is stupid. it says required cost then it includes things that arent required. like mulitple games and controllers.

and then it tries to factor in tax, but somehow it concludes tax will be the same, even though xbox cost more than playstation. tax deals in %. by the fact of xbox costing more, means it will have more tax.

dumb article.

attaboy said:
JerCotter7 said:
Aww I was hoping for good estimates in how much it cost to design these consoles. Instead I got this. I plan to get a PS4 and one game. So I know how much it costs. No need for this thread to tell me it costs a lot more.

I wanna know R&D costs more.

Pretty much, this.

I remember when I got an Xbox 360 and people were saying "Well, you're gonna have to buy a WiFi adapter but with the PS3 you get it for free.  That's another $100 right there...."  Why in the fuck do you just assume I had to buy a Wi Fi adapter?!?  My consoles all sit three feet from my router!  All of these hypothetical "You're gonna have to buy" assumptions tend to serve a specific purpose.  Buy what you want because each case in optional.

Already have Wii Remotes?  Great.  Don't want an extra controller?  Fine.  Not a fan of indie games?  Swell.  Don't tell me what I'll have to buy.  The entry cost of the hardware is all that matters.  For all anyone knows, I rent my games from Gamefly.

I agree that the OP is a little misleading because of the assumptions made.  I'd rather see it in tiers (entry level as bare minimum cost of system, starter level with online service and a game or two/indie game, and a full package including cameras, charging kits/costs of batteries, headsets, aforemention online service and games).  But either way, it looks like PS4 is cheaper regardless.

If you want the most entry level, PS4 is $100 dollars cheaper (in the states, cheaper in other countries also, but I forget the breakdown off the top of my head).  If you want to see prices for a configuration with just online services (the games will be priced the same so I'll just leave that out), PS4 is cheaper even further, because its online service is $10 dollars cheaper.  The final configuration is probably closest, because PS players have to adopt an PS Eye (which will be $60), but its still $40 dollars less than the $100 premium of XB1.  And seeing how PS Eye has done in the past, I doubt that configuration will be any popular.

Everything else is pretty much a wash.  The optional batteries/charging kit/$10 Live premium for XB1 balance the PS's optional purchase of a headset (which is optional because every box comes with a earset, flimsy yes, but useful in communication nonetheless).  The free fifa is great, but I am positive with my past PS+ experience that the service gives way more than $60 dollars in free games per year of service and is better than Live for freebies (I've had Live for longer so I'm not guessing here).  KI is a non issue, because PSN has its own scaled down online game for free: Drive Club.

If anything the entry level for PS4 offers even more value, because you can play f2p without PSN and stream netflix and use a bunch of services for free that Live doesn't allow.  So at the most entry level (assuming a consumer has no games, doesn't want psn or live) you get XB1's Fifa versus several f2p titles coming to PS4 (the only standout title I can think of atm is Planetside 2) and the ability to use services like hulu or netflix with your console for $500 to $400, respectively.

Is that what you wanted for a breakdown?

hinch said:

Spreading more anti Sony FUD, I see. When was the last time a lithium battery failed on you?

The DS3 controller I'm using now is 5 years old and still holds its charge.. which is more than can be said about my two (official) dead battery packs for my 360.

Are you seriously trying to suggest a Lithium battery doesn't wear out?

While Lithium batteries don't have memory, they absolutely wear out.  The life of a Lithium battery is really dependent upon the usage and charge cycle.  The hotter the battery gets, especially during charging, the shorter the battery life will be.  Ideally you don't allow a Lithium battery to drop below 30% charge and don't charge it beyond 90% capacity.  This way, you don't burn out the cells.

I've had a Lithium battery wear out in my cell phone before.  I've also had one explode.  When I worked in electronics, I routinely had to replace Lithium batteries for customers.  And more often than not, if someone has a laptop, it's a Lithium battery and if it's more than 3 years old it's likely worn out or severely degraded.

I highly doubt, unless you routinely charge it without letting it go down to nothing, that your DS3 controller's battery is 100%.  In fact, I hope you knocked on wood, because it's most likely not going to survive much longer. 

BlkPaladin said:
spemanig said:
BlkPaladin said:

One for the WiiU:

USB HD 3TB (Seagate, its USB 3.0 but its 2.0bc with an ac adapter) - $140 (newegg)

Two games - $120 (At the maximum price because they vary, and Ubisoft loves digital sales.)

I think that it should be noted that because of backwards compatability, most, if not all, people will already have this.

Sales Tax (6%) - $41

Grand Total - $716

The Hard Drive, charge cable and one of the two controller options are optional so here it is without the opitional items. (I removed the pro controller)

I would remove the Wii Remote + Nunchuck instead, considering that although they work, the main additional controller for the Wii U is the pro controller.

Sub Total - $470.00

Sales Tax (6%) - $29.00

Grand Total - $499.00

FIxed. Comments in BOLD. I'd also note that because of the Wind Waker bundle, a lot of people just won't be purchasing two more games on top of that. Rather, they'll purchase just one. In the likely event that that happens, here's the price with only one purchased game (since it already comes with one):

Sub Total - $410.00

Sales Tax (6%) - $24.60

Grand Total - $434.60

I was being purposly expensive, the WiiU can use a 3TB HD but only formats it to 2TB. (This was added with the December 2012 OS patch.)

The USB Charge cable is for the WiiU GamePad it is more of a convience thing, then actually needed because the GamePad comes with an AC adapter. Again as I said I was being purposly expensive for those who like to say what about this to get a "complete" gameplay experience.

well it wouldn't be a fair comparison to the OP now would it? he didn't include the optional things in the total cost, nor the PSMove or a 3TB external/internal HDD

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Gamecube said:
hinch said:

Spreading more anti Sony FUD, I see. When was the last time a lithium battery time failed on you?

The DS3 controller I'm using now is 5 years old and still holds its charge.. which is more than can be said about my two (official) dead battery packs for my 360.

About 2 years my buddy had to replace his 4 year old ps3 controller. A few month after that he had to replace his other old controller. I'm still using my launch xb360 controller:).

So because you have one case of a long lasting xbox 360 controller and one case of a short lasting PS3 controller, you think that proves him wrong?  You obviously don't know anything about statistics.  

The difference is with the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, you replace the battery, not the controller.

Sony makes the battery integral to the controller, so replacing the battery isn't a simple procedure for the average consumer.  Not to mention, you have to find a source for it.

With the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, go to any retailer that offers gaming hardware/software, and you can pick-up a replacement battery.  While at launch they are only bundled in the Play and Charge Kit, my guess is that eventually they'll be available individually for less.  The point being, replacing a battery is a lot easier than replacing a controller and something someone doesn't even think twice about.

With that said.  Based on the information I have, the Xbox One's battery is Lithium.  The Xbox One controller, when connected via a Micro USB cable charges the battery and powers the controller.  When it's done charging the battery, it powers the controller.  That is, the battery isn't powering the controller.  As opposed to the Xbox 360, where the Play and Charge Kit for it charged the battery and powered the controller as well, but it would constantly cycle the battery if after being charged it was left connected.  Subsequently, using the play and charge kit killed the battery life.  The quick charger on the Xbox 360 or charging the Xbox 360 battery via the Play and Charge kit while you weren't playing was the better solution.

One of my original Xbox 360 batteries lasted for five years.  The other met an early demise after a few too many falls.

danasider said:
attaboy said:
JerCotter7 said:
Aww I was hoping for good estimates in how much it cost to design these consoles. Instead I got this. I plan to get a PS4 and one game. So I know how much it costs. No need for this thread to tell me it costs a lot more.

I wanna know R&D costs more.

Pretty much, this.

I remember when I got an Xbox 360 and people were saying "Well, you're gonna have to buy a WiFi adapter but with the PS3 you get it for free.  That's another $100 right there...."  Why in the fuck do you just assume I had to buy a Wi Fi adapter?!?  My consoles all sit three feet from my router!  All of these hypothetical "You're gonna have to buy" assumptions tend to serve a specific purpose.  Buy what you want because each case in optional.

Already have Wii Remotes?  Great.  Don't want an extra controller?  Fine.  Not a fan of indie games?  Swell.  Don't tell me what I'll have to buy.  The entry cost of the hardware is all that matters.  For all anyone knows, I rent my games from Gamefly.

I agree that the OP is a little misleading because of the assumptions made.  I'd rather see it in tiers (entry level as bare minimum cost of system, starter level with online service and a game or two/indie game, and a full package including cameras, charging kits/costs of batteries, headsets, aforemention online service and games).  But either way, it looks like PS4 is cheaper regardless.

If you want the most entry level, PS4 is $100 dollars cheaper (in the states, cheaper in other countries also, but I forget the breakdown off the top of my head).  If you want to see prices for a configuration with just online services (the games will be priced the same so I'll just leave that out), PS4 is cheaper even further, because its online service is $10 dollars cheaper.  The final configuration is probably closest, because PS players have to adopt an PS Eye (which will be $60), but its still $40 dollars less than the $100 premium of XB1.  And seeing how PS Eye has done in the past, I doubt that configuration will be any popular.

Everything else is pretty much a wash.  The optional batteries/charging kit/$10 Live premium for XB1 balance the PS's optional purchase of a headset (which is optional because every box comes with a earset, flimsy yes, but useful in communication nonetheless).  The free fifa is great, but I am positive with my past PS+ experience that the service gives way more than $60 dollars in free games per year of service and is better than Live for freebies (I've had Live for longer so I'm not guessing here).  KI is a non issue, because PSN has its own scaled down online game for free: Drive Club.

If anything the entry level for PS4 offers even more value, because you can play f2p without PSN and stream netflix and use a bunch of services for free that Live doesn't allow.  So at the most entry level (assuming a consumer has no games, doesn't want psn or live) you get XB1's Fifa versus several f2p titles coming to PS4 (the only standout title I can think of atm is Planetside 2) and the ability to use services like hulu or netflix with your console for $500 to $400, respectively.

Is that what you wanted for a breakdown?

Nah.  I don't think an accurate breakdown is possible.  Heck, for me, even my Vita purchase was well over $500 on the first day thanks to some purchases that other people may or may not want.  Any breakdown is a waste of time, in my opinion.  I tend to know what I want and need and make sure I have enough walking into the store.  Heck, with the Wii, I had everything from games to controllers already paid for (I NEVER use the Pro Controller, btw.  It may still have it's original charge)!

I really came to this thread because I thought it was saying how much the consoles cost from R&D and marketing.  I'll leave the now.  No sense in me spoiling the fun.

MohammadBadir said:

well it wouldn't be a fair comparison to the OP now would it? he didn't include the optional things in the total cost, nor the PSMove or a 3TB external/internal HDD

I do agree with you there. It just boils down to how much the orginal box costs anyways. If you tried to make them comparable it may change considering what if you need to get a Vita for cross play on the PS4, which is the only time the PS4 would cost more then the Xbox One, if you want the "same" type of experience across all three platforms which if you wanted to get technical whould mean adding a smart device for the Xbox One and the Vita to the PS4, but that would be just plain facious.

Adinnieken said:
hinch said:

Spreading more anti Sony FUD, I see. When was the last time a lithium battery failed on you?

Are you seriously trying to suggest a Lithium battery doesn't wear out?

While Lithium batteries don't have memory, they absolutely wear out.  The life of a Lithium battery is really dependent upon the usage and charge cycle.  The hotter the battery gets, especially during charging, the shorter the battery life will be.  Ideally you don't allow a Lithium battery to drop below 30% charge and don't charge it beyond 90% capacity.  This way, you don't burn out the cells.

I've had a Lithium battery wear out in my cell phone before.  I've also had one explode.  When I worked in electronics, I routinely had to replace Lithium batteries for customers.  And more often than not, if someone has a laptop, it's a Lithium battery and if it's more than 3 years old it's likely worn out or severely degraded.

I highly doubt, unless you routinely charge it without letting it go down to nothing, that your DS3 controller's battery is 100%.  In fact, I hope you knocked on wood, because it's most likely not going to survive much longer. 

Nope, not at all.

Honestly, from all the electronics that I own and have owned throughout the years most, (if not all) of my lithium batteries still work. I never had one flat out die on me. My OG PSP battery I have tucked away still charges and works just fine. Sure, some they might have degraded (haven't noticed this much at all tbh) on my old phones and laptops but they work. And besides.. I can just service the controller for a few quid if anything should go wrong with it.

BlkPaladin said:
spemanig said:
BlkPaladin said:

One for the WiiU:

Sales Tax (6%) - $41

Grand Total - $716

Sub Total - $470.00

Sales Tax (6%) - $29.00

Grand Total - $499.00

Sub Total - $410.00

Sales Tax (6%) - $24.60

Grand Total - $434.60

Ah. Okay, I see. :) Still though, why would someone purchase 3TB hard drive when they can only use 2TB on their Wii U? They can't even use the extra on their PC after it's formated to the Wii U.