By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox One is actually more powerful than the PS4

Do you need good internet to take advantage of the cloud?

Around the Network

Damn the fanboys of both consoles need to chill out lmao What Is this an arms race?

think-man said:
Do you need good internet to take advantage of the cloud?

Nah. Apparently XBOX one is so powerfully it can actually increase your Internet speed times 10... or 100.

Well since my country has lousy internet infrastructure and with our very slow and expensive internet. I guess Cloud won't be for me. Except when it brings rain in real life. ROFL!

Nem said:
Ridiculous.

I am pretty sure sony will have dedicated servers aswell, especially destiny. This power of the cloud is just microsoft trying to catch fools yet again.

I do not think there was never a question that Sony will have dedicated servers.  The question is will Sony have dedicated servers for every 3rd party developer big or small for their system.  Also another thing to think about coverage and capacity.  How many servers will they have and how many MP games will they be able to host at what cost.  The power of the cloud is MS taking what they know how to do and applying it to the gaming space.  Forget buzz words and think about giving every developer free access and very cheap dedicated servers so they can make their games better.  

Its something most people try to dismiss because its not as tangable as graphics but I am sure for developers whether they are your 5 man indie team or 200 strong COD team, having free access to a very powerful, storage and computation infrastructure including cheap dedicated servers that allow you to not bleed money is a huge plus.

Around the Network
ShinmenTakezo said:
Machiavellian said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
My favorite line is, "Not even the most popular gaming houses can afford to run them." Referring to dedicated servers.

Guerrilla
DICE
Insomniac
Zipper
....and plenty others had games with dedicated servers this gen

You need to read the COD thread on this subject.  Having dedicated servers isn't the problem.  Most devs and publishers tell you that its a huge cost to them to run these servers.  The servers have to be up all the time running waiting for players even if the player base isn't large.  

The difference is MS is giving away dedicated servers for next to nothing.  Also a huge advantage to MS solution is that a server doesn't just sit there waiting for players and taking up resources,  Instead it spins up when people start to matchmake in the area.  The next advantage is that the server spins up locally to the people being served, giving players best ping times and data bandwidth.   This is a huge advantage to the system because resources are not wasted and developers/publishers on pay for whats up and running.

I notice people who are very strong with the PS force seem to dismiss these advantages as if Sony can just call up Amazon and bam they will have the same level of service but this will not be the case.  MS spent 3 years building the software side of their service and it is next gen you may say in what it gives to devs/publishers.  

The next thing people dismiss without taking the time to research is MS cloud compute.  MS spent 3 years build this system called Orleans and you can research the tech your self.  Right Now the Halo team at 343 has moved their whole system over to Orleans so we actually might see some benefit from the cloud compute infrastructure sooner than later.  I not sure if MS cloud compute will make the X1 this powerhouse of a machine but I do believe we will see some very obvious advantages to the system that will separate games on the X1 from the PS4

There is no such thing as "MS cloud compute" There is cloud compute, and even your phone can do it. You're digging yourself a hole for absolutely no reason. I made a statement about a small fallacy about big studios not being able to afford dedicated servers when evidence suggests otherwise. You then bring it to a whole nubba lebel. Please don't start trying to feed me MS PR bullshit about the cloud.

Actually there is a MS cloud compute because they have an infrastructure they developed called Orleans.  In other words it's their version of performing, replicating discrete computations in the cloud.  Read up on it, its an interesting article.

No one has ever stated that big studios cannot support dedicated servers, what you did not say is the cost for those studios to pay for those servers.  This is something that has been talked about from developers to publishers for a while.  Its the reason why EA is quick to shut down servers for games where the player base reach a certain level.  Trying to keep those servers up and maintained cost money and if most of these studios are renting from some other company then its more expensive.  Most of the big boys do not want to have to purchase servers or rent them because its a cost.  Having 100 or thousands of servers to serve up dedicated games around the world for millions of games does not make sense for a business that does not gain any money from that venture.  This is why MS solution solves this for the big boys and the small indie.

MS offer a solution not just for the large studios but for all developers on their system.  Now your 5 team indie MP game can stand toe to toe with the big boys.  For the big boys now they have a platform thats takes away a lot of the management, cost and overhead of maintaining servers around the world which only show as an expense or cost not a profit.

Machiavellian said:
Nem said:
Ridiculous.

I am pretty sure sony will have dedicated servers aswell, especially destiny. This power of the cloud is just microsoft trying to catch fools yet again.

I do not think there was never a question that Sony will have dedicated servers.  The question is will Sony have dedicated servers for every 3rd party developer big or small for their system.  Also another thing to think about coverage and capacity.  How many servers will they have and how many MP games will they be able to host at what cost.  The power of the cloud is MS taking what they know how to do and applying it to the gaming space.  Forget buzz words and think about giving every developer free access and very cheap dedicated servers so they can make their games better.  

Its something most people try to dismiss because its not as tangable as graphics but I am sure for developers whether they are your 5 man indie team or 200 strong COD team, having free access to a very powerful, storage and computation infrastructure including cheap dedicated servers that allow you to not bleed money is a huge plus.

I agree, the"power of the Cloud" has many meanings beyond the obvious.

Sony can easily provide the same functionality for the PS4 and given the lack of online requirement for the Xbox One it is dubious that developers will make the effort to use that capability.

And cant you imagine the annoyance of internet inconsistency on either end causing the quality of the game to vary from second to second.

Not the time.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

landguy1 said:
Machiavellian said:
Nem said:
Ridiculous.

I agree, the"power of the Cloud" has many meanings beyond the obvious.

One of the things I have noticed reading gamers comments about the cloud is they think about graphics.  How will this make my graphics look better or how will this benefit me.  Its a very narrow focus IMHO.  Instead when MS made the reveal I was thinking at how this must be great for developers.  You get free access to a cloud infrastructure for all your games no nickle and diming by MS (which is huge in of itself).  Then when I read the interview by Respawn where they discussed how MS has offered every developer a very cheap solution to an expensive problem, dedicated servers, I was also surprised.

The way MS handle their dedicated server setup, a node or resource is not used until its needed.  This change seems simple but its actually huge because that means a server does not have to be tied up waiting for players but instead can spin up to serve when players match make.  This drasticly cut the cost as developers and publishers only have to pay for what is used.  Also the ability to spin up that server locally for all players gives a little added benefit as well.

yes, so many benefits, but it seems that others can only count the pixels