By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do you hate indie games?

Tagged games:

Why do you hate indie games?

Too few graphics. 19 18.10%

Because Sony has them. 22 20.95%

I have no soul. 5 4.76%

I am Bobby Kotick. 11 10.48%

I don't hate your mom. 48 45.71%

Total:105

"But over the last day I have seen you - yes, YOU! - hurl more vitriol at indie games for being "not real" games than I have seen over the last few years combined."
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong !
I LOVE indie games, they are fantastic ! It is great to have them, the more the better !

I have a problem with Vita guys rubbing a list of multiplatform indie games in the faces of people who are upset about the Vita having so few retail/bigger games (the Vita equivalent to Mario and Luigi, Luigi´s Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing) on the horizon to prove how much Sony cares about it!

You can´t carry a platform on multiplat. indie games alone and Sony doesn´t seem to be dedicated to offer their customers more of those "bigger/retail" games !

Is that so hard to understand ?

Around the Network

1. 95% (down from 99%) of them suck, or are just rehashes of old platform games.

2. The term "Indie developer" annoys me.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

RenCutypoison said:
What I don't like about indie games is reviewer scaling the review to the budget of the devs.

They say "Oh, fez is incredible, 19/20 for the duration" -> F*** that, it was 5 hours long, and I found that boring as hell (Just my opinion)

Then they review, let's say Mugen souls and say "Well, there is a lot of content no one cares about, and the story is only 40 hours long, 13/20" -> And there is ~400 hours for the platinum.

That's why I don't like indies. They are praised because they are indies, and not reviewed as harsh as AAA titles.

I mean, even RE6, if made by indies, would have been said GOTY.

(And of course there are indie games that I love, from Touhou to the future Rival Threads (Where's the HYPE ?) )

I don't think that's a very good comparison though, because not only are you dealing with differences in price to buy those two games, you're also dealing with differences in genre expectations.  It's pretty damn easy to make a JRPG long as crap simply by increasing the number of trash mobs someone has to kill before they can possibly have a chance at defeating the boss,  but a puzzle platformer's length is all new content usually without mmuch backtracking or repeating the same puzzle over and over again like one repeats battles in a JRPG.  I don't think you can just directly compare these two and say that JRPGs always have more value.  

the fact that the OP isn't centered on bad indiana jones games feels like wasted potential..

They focus on aesthetics, style and superficial things and give shallow, uninteresting gameplay. It's like they are trying to be artistic and fail horribly.

Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trine 2, Limbo, *THE WALKING DEAD*, Cave Story, World of Goo, Hotline Miami. I hated them all. And those are supposed to be the very best.

*Disclaimer: To The Moon is really awesome.

Around the Network

I don't hate Indie games but I am not keen on this rabid praise of them simply because the developer made it in their basement. I don't subscribe to this idea that Indie games are games for true gamers and everything else is bloated garbage. I don't appreciate being told what I'm supposed to enjoy and what I'm supposed to buy in order to be a "true gamer" when I've been playing games since I was capable of manipulating a controller, which is approaching 30 years ago, and have been doing so ever since. To me, Indie games are little distractions when I've become bored of what's on offer for AAA titles. Something that I don't want to get heavily invested in but I still want to game. That's about it.

The more I hear the term 'Indie' the more I associate it with some douche wearing crocs, a fedora, a t-shirt with a band no one ever heard of and likely never will, sporting a soul patch, and acting like they are the most educated person in the world with nothing more than a liberal arts degree while screaming about the horrors of capitalism and everything that society is.... while completely engaging in it. Needless to say, the image I get in my head makes me want to commit crimes.

They are overpriced as hell. 5 euros is almost always max what I will pay and in most cases it will be 3 euros.
Then we have people like Fish and Notch.
Then we have that 20 years ago the developers were miles faster to create games (with more content too)

Edit - I don't hate all of them, some are solid ones.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

I don't hate them. Some of them are pretty good. But I find that the worst indie games tend to be a lot worst than the worst AAA games. And though few of my favorite games are true AAA titles, I feel that an at least moderate budget/team is useful for creating a meatier game than one or two individuals can provide. Plus, a lot of indie games are 2D platformers, which is annoying for the same reason that a lot of AAA games being FPS's is annoying.

The fact that indie devs seem to have big egos compared to the AAA legends doesn't help.

Love and tolerate.

morenoingrato said:

They focus on aesthetics, style and superficial things and give shallow, uninteresting gameplay. It's like they are trying to be artistic and fail horribly.

Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trine 2, Limbo, *THE WALKING DEAD*, Cave Story, World of Goo, Hotline Miami. I hated them all. And those are supposed to be the very best.

*Disclaimer: To The Moon is really awesome.

This is part 1. Being artsy for the sake of being artsy is a no no. Now part 2, Indie games tend to get on my nerves because its easy to tell what game inspired them. They tend to borow to many ideas from their source material with a recent example being Rime. It looks exactly like ICO with the title "Shadow of the Beast"...come the fuck on. If they could replace beast with Colossus they would. Try harder to mask the game so it doesn't look coat tailing. Why is it so hard for indies and specifically western developers to say I like that game lets take the ideas behind that game and creat my own game infused with my own ideas around it instead of saying I like that game lets my version of it. If I can tell what inspired the game... No buy.

I hate only inde devs who think they are god given developers with more experience in game design then the veterans while only releasing one game aka Fishy Phil