By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do you hate indie games?

Tagged games:

Why do you hate indie games?

Too few graphics. 19 18.10%

Because Sony has them. 22 20.95%

I have no soul. 5 4.76%

I am Bobby Kotick. 11 10.48%

I don't hate your mom. 48 45.71%

Total:105

Console indie games are too artsy, too small and lack depth.

On PC, indie games can be very hardcore, deep and epic (strategy games, RPGs, open world) and they're allowed to be a little rough around the edges (poor graphics, filled with bugs and in constant need of patches), but on consoles they only tend to focus on the polished, artsy indie games (adventure games, puzzle, platformers).

Around the Network

"I would remind you that most AAA games lose money"

I'd rather play a proper game that lost money than play a Indie game that made money.

Because indies offer nothing new. If i wanted to be play 2d games i would go on past consoles. They act like if they are something but they are not.

because the internet has taught me that they arent games

I don't hate them, but I think they're highly overrated by the media and by the gamers. Same as retro games.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Everyone's forgotten about the WiiU and its indie support! bastards

WiiWhat? Didn't you get the memo? In gaming press WiiU will no longer be mentioned, next gen starts.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Munkeh111 said:
My main problem is that so many indies get such huge opinions of themselves and think they are the only source of creativity. There are a small number of games that are generally good, but most aren't. I just think that they are given far too much importance.

But yeah, they are sometimes good, just don't fill their ego. GTA V is going to be the best game this year and no indie game is going to get remotely close to the scale of that game even if they have quirky little ideas that last for an hour

Not every Indie-dev is Fish.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Munkeh111 said:
My main problem is that so many indies get such huge opinions of themselves and think they are the only source of creativity. There are a small number of games that are generally good, but most aren't. I just think that they are given far too much importance.

But yeah, they are sometimes good, just don't fill their ego. GTA V is going to be the best game this year and no indie game is going to get remotely close to the scale of that game even if they have quirky little ideas that last for an hour

Not every Indie-dev is Fish.

But many are...

The generalizations in this thread are bloody hilarious, especially the one where people are saying all small developers are pretentious. Oh? How many do you guys know of that are pretentious? Two? Maybe three? If that's your sample size to judge every small developer then you deserve a face palm the size of Texas.

The generalization about most small games being 2d platformers is pretty ignorant, too. I can name dozens of the best that aren't. I can name plenty that aren't shallow, either. As if AAA games aren't usually superficial themselves?

Most of the hate is just childish. If you want to hate a certain developer because he criticized your favorite console manufacturer, then go ahead, but transferring that hate to every other small developer out there, when most of them have never said a word to the press, is just idiotic.

It doesn't make sense to me how you can hate or love indie games. Indie games isn't exactly a genre, it's just games made by independant developers. And there are a bajillion of them out there.

And I don't like how "indie" have turned into such a buzz word. It's not exactly a feat to become an indie developer. Get RPG Maker and make something with it and you're indie. Pretty much. There's way too much focus on the word indie, almost to the extent that the actual games have become low priority.