By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1 bigger than many expect thanks to hUMA

Wait, where is the news? We already knew a few months ago about AMDs new APU generation, there even was a thread about on this forum. And we already knew Xbox One wouldn't have this.
 Also I couldn't care less about 3d... I don't own the fitting TV and never will. (Well, especially as it wasn't meant in the OP ;))

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Wait, where is the news? We already knew a few months ago about AMDs new APU generation, there even was a thread about on this forum. And we already knew Xbox One wouldn't have this.
Also I couldn't care less about 3d... I don't own the fitting TV and never will.

3D as in 3D graphics, not 3D as in 3D TV. This is about 3D graphics models.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
walsufnir said:
Also I couldn't care less about 3d... I don't own the fitting TV and never will.

3D as in 3D graphics, not 3D as in 3D TV. This is about 3D graphics models.

See my edit. I am german and know what they meant ;)

Adinnieken said:
zarx said:

Not true AMD's GCN has native support for tiled resources they called it Partially Resident Texture you can read about it here http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/Partially%20Resident%20Textures%20on%20Next-Generation%20GPUs.v04.pps (The implementation in DX 11.2 is the same) and Meagexture is actually a tiled bassed system implemented in software http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/03/megatextures-in-rage/.

No, they're not the same thing at all.

A Partially Resident Texture is the same thing as a MegaTexture.  The difference is that unlike a MegaTexture, a PRT uses virtual memory to store a texture in rather than reloading it.  Both are like laying laying a large room rug down, then laying a smaller run down, and then finally laying a small rug down.

A Tiled Resource uses a film strip-like image file, made up of small texture tiles, that are mapped to a reference ID, so that like a paint-by-number painting, the geometry is tiled with the appropriately referenced texture tile.

PRT gains efficiency by using virtual memory, rather than re-reading necessary texture resources from the HDD.

Tiled Resources gains efficiency by using small image files, reusing texture tiles, and neither building nor texturing geometry that isn't visible.

All three are methods of splitting up large textures into small tiles so that only only the peices of the texture that are actually needed are loaded into memory. All of them load in the tiles based on visability and distance from the camera.

Oh and by the way from AMD's "Gaming Engineering Manager"

Partially Resident Textures now available as DX11.2 feature called "Tiled Resources".

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Oh, tile-based rendering now? Wow, it's been a long time since PowerVR!

Around the Network
zarx said:
RenCutypoison said:
zarx said:
Why the fuck would MS not implement it?

Because they already spended 3 billions in R&D for APU that boosts native hypervisor and synchronous(ness ?) of the three OS.

They made a choice.

They made a bad one then AMD have had perfectly servicable Hypervisor support since 2007, and so have MS at least in the server space. hUMA is a technology that should be built into the hardware already. It should be a no brainer, maybe the eSRAM and the "move engines" is the problem.

Even the best APU of the world couldn't do everything at once.

And for hypervisor on server, it runs multiple OS on Hardware level, but not simultaneously. (or at least I never heard of such think, but I can ask my Hardware teach' next week (a skilled linux dev) )

I'm looking forward to seeing that power displayed. Still not really sold on the Xbox One or PS4 but if I see something that really blows me away, I won't have much of a choice but to buy.

AMD themselves said this? Wow o.o

Bristow9091 said:
kitler53 said:
thanks! i will now spread catch phases like "behold the power of the hUMA!" around the interwebz.

I find that catchphrase quite hUMArous...

Okay that was so bad, I'm sorry, I'll go crawl back into my hut now :(

oh dear god, you nailed it!  that's the catch phrase of the generation!!!

zarx said:
Why the fuck would MS not implement it?

This is the point of secrecy in creating your product. Sony knows they can take Microsoft in hardware for a proper cost if they launch with them or even after them. If they launch before them then we have the situation with the original Xbox.