By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Yes. The Wii U will sell well this holiday. 176 59.86%

No. The Wii U won't sell well. 59 20.07%

It doesn't matter if the... 31 10.54%

See poll results. 28 9.52%

Total:294

a 8th gen game with little less poligons/shaders/textures is still a 8th gen game?

Around the Network

I put no because it's too weak, but I don't mean hardware-wise (although that is a factor to a small degree) I mean sales and consumer interest wise. Unless it suddenly springs to Wii-like life for months on ends WiiU has already been written off by 3rd parties and by consumers.

Their development resources are now all focused on MS/Sony systems, PC and 3DS (maybe) and mobile. WiiU and Vita are no longer considered viable platforms for 3rd parties except for maybe niche (Vita) and childrens' (WiiU) titles. At this point not even price cuts or temporary sales increases can save them

Zelhawks37 said:
The Wii U might sell well, but 3rd parties will find excuses to still not put their games on it.

This.

We just went through the Wii generation, and people still think install base matters dick to third parties.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Salnax said:
The Wii U could offer free blowjobs and golden calves and companies will still find reasons not to port over their games. Exceptions will appear from time to time, but regardless of how well the Wii U does, 3rd parties will shun it.

All Nintendo has to do is let developers and publishers in on the development party instead of always keeping things to themselves so everyone can meet somewhere in the middle. If this happens their launch wont catch developers off guard. If third parties didnt want Nintendos money they wouldnt have put their games on the Wii U. No one asks why the problem is occuring. 

E3 2010 and 2011 suggested that Nintendo was working closely with 3rd parties on the 3DS and Wii U respectively, based on statements from 3rd parties. Dev kits for the 3DS were available for well over a year before launch. And what problem exactly?

Love and tolerate.

Cheebee said:
No. When will people get this through their skulls? Nintendo will never have good 3rd party support. If Wii didn't get it when it was selling more than its 2 competitors combined, why would WiiU get it?

Thank you, god...someone gets it.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
a 8th gen game with little less poligons/shaders/textures is still a 8th gen game?

No draw distance, more ram needed to run the game. It goes on and on.

Salnax said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Salnax said:
The Wii U could offer free blowjobs and golden calves and companies will still find reasons not to port over their games. Exceptions will appear from time to time, but regardless of how well the Wii U does, 3rd parties will shun it.

All Nintendo has to do is let developers and publishers in on the development party instead of always keeping things to themselves so everyone can meet somewhere in the middle. If this happens their launch wont catch developers off guard. If third parties didnt want Nintendos money they wouldnt have put their games on the Wii U. No one asks why the problem is occuring. 

E3 2010 and 2011 suggested that Nintendo was working closely with 3rd parties on the 3DS and Wii U respectively, based on statements from 3rd parties. Dev kits for the 3DS were available for well over a year before launch. And what problem exactly?

Sources please for the Wii U not the 3DS. I will read them when I get back.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cheebee said:
No. When will people get this through their skulls? Nintendo will never have good 3rd party support. If Wii didn't get it when it was selling more than its 2 competitors combined, why would WiiU get it?

Thank you, god...someone gets it.

Now if only Nintendo would get it! They should spend their resources expanding their own development capabilitys rather than wasting em trying to appease third partys.

Even Nintendo had trouble selling more hardcore oriented games like Metroid Prime and Sin & Punishment and Xenoblade on the Wii, even with a 100 million userbase. Like Metroid for example saw basically no bump from the GameCube days. NOA just bailed on Last Story and Xenoblade, but thankfully were pressured into at least giving Xenoblade a limited release by angry fans.

Third parties did support the Wii, just with the types of games that were actually selling on the console though -- things like fitness games, party games, dance games, etc.

If Nintendo had an IP like Halo or Uncharted that they made themselves and sold millions and millions of copies, then I think third parties would be more inclined to support Nintendo platforms. It's become a demographic problem as much as a hardware issue.

Sony/MS are simply are much more attractive option for third parties. They know hardcore gamers will be there, because Sony/MS spend virtually all their marketing dollars on that audience and tailor their console designs for that audience first and foremost. Sony or MS would never even consider making a purple console for example. Nintendo makes their consoles for the family audience first and foremost and most of their big IP are family-oriented titles ... that just doesn't speak to the developer of say, Metal Gear Solid or BioShock or Grand Theft Auto.

Mario Kart selling 20 million copies doesn't mean much to them. If it was Metroid or Xenoblade or Bayonetta 2 selling 10 million copies on a Nintendo platform, I tend to think that would draw a lot of third parties though because they would be confident there must be a hardcore audience there.

But if a developer is looking at the Wii/Wii U and seeing that even Nintendo has a hard time selling non-family-oriented brands on the system, what message does that send to say the GTAV designer?

Gamerace said:
I put no because it's too weak, but I don't mean hardware-wise (although that is a factor to a small degree) I mean sales and consumer interest wise. Unless it suddenly springs to Wii-like life for months on ends WiiU has already been written off by 3rd parties and by consumers.

Their development resources are now all focused on MS/Sony systems, PC and 3DS (maybe) and mobile. WiiU and Vita are no longer considered viable platforms for 3rd parties except for maybe niche (Vita) and childrens' (WiiU) titles. At this point not even price cuts or temporary sales increases can save them

can't you do better than that? the level of delusion from that excuse never goes down.