By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Yes. The Wii U will sell well this holiday. 176 59.86%

No. The Wii U won't sell well. 59 20.07%

It doesn't matter if the... 31 10.54%

See poll results. 28 9.52%

Total:294
bananaking21 said:
JWeinCom said:
bananaking21 said:
JWeinCom said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
they will get less and less i think. most publishers wont bother downgrading their games (visually, physics) and trying to port the game to the WiiU. the PS4/X1/PC market seems like it will be the place to go to for third parties this gen.

Yes because the PS2 was more powerful than the Xbox

they were on the same league. shall we compare specs of the WiiU and PS4? or have we done that already a billion times before?

They weren't on the same league dude. PS2 games looked flat out emberassing against GC/Xbox games

well provide some examples then. 

Sonic Heroes.  The bonus levels were nearly unplayable on PS2 due to framerate issues. 

one game... well.. just some bonus levels of a game that doesnt even stack up to the best looking games on the PS2 proves that the PS2 wasnt even on the same league as the xbox. makes perfect sense, you got me there. 

The whole game suffered from frame rate issues, and the bonus levels were actually a key part to completing the game because you need chaos emeralds to beat the game.

Anyway, you asked for a title that was better on the Gamecube, I told you the one that came to my head.  Any need to be a sarcastic jackass about it?

i asked for examples, not just one. and that was to try prove his false point that "PS2 games looked flat out embarrassing compared to GC/xbox games" which yet i havent seen any evidence of. one bad port surely doesnt prove shit. 

@bolded - ehh, i wont report you this time

My comment was probably a bit over the top, and I apologize for that.  I still feel your sarcastic response to my post was rude and unwarranted.  

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Booyah said:

Where did I say 3rd parties bullied Nintendo? I said that they bully MS/Sony, thats why they like to develop for them instead. Hence the paywalls.

And the 3ds argument is what I was referring to about companies still making games for it even though it is inferior spec wise to the Vita. Although they couldn't delvelop their true "vision" of the game on such inferior hardware, I guess they will just have to settle for a dumbed down, good enough version on 3ds.

My point is marketshare will always trump specs, and they always have, every generation.

It is rather amusing seeing you call someone else defensive lol.

I see you ignored the video and the Epic statement and now you will continue on with your rant. 

I'll just plant this link right here for you to read about Epic's statements and you'll just ignore it as well, but at least I provided the information yet again, so here it is. 

http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-wont-be-getting-unreal-engine-4-update-462919060

Answer this: Why did the wii not get 360 and PS3 multiplats even when they gained a massive marketshare? 

because the the wii didn't even had programable shaders and other modern tools. wii u on the other hand, has all that.

Soundwave said:
Zero999 said:

so much wrong it's hard to start.

calling 3d mario and 2d mario the same thing, saying the wii u lacks variety this year. saying it costs $350. saying nintendo's audience isn't "hardecore".

You're right 3D Mario and 2D Mario aren't the same thing -- 3D Mario almost always sells worse than 2D Mario. So that's not exactly a plus.

The Wii U isn't appealling to "hardcore" players, I'm speaking primarily about the 140 million owners of the 360/PS3 who play primarily IP like CoD, Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, etc. The Wii U has no appeal to this audience because they already have a PS3/360. The "Nintendo audience" thing is overblown, they make a lot of noise on internet message boards, but many of them like you don't even have a Wii U.

A lot of Nintendo fans can't even afford the system themselves but yell from the top of their lungs that no price cut is neccessary, just because they view that as being a sign of weakness in "system wars" (lol).

bolded: then you're not speaking about hardcore gamers.

common OP your way too optimistic.

Look at the history of Nintendo platforms. No matter what hardware they have it still will get poor 3rd party support.

They need to moneyhat like Microsoft and Sony did when it first come out to gain the support.

JWeinCom said:

My comment was probably a bit over the top, and I apologize for that.  I still feel your sarcastic response to my post was rude and unwarranted.  

no problem. edited it out though so if a mod see's it you dont get banned

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

Yup pretty much. If instead of making the PS2, Sony had upped the RAM in the PSOne, added a new casing, and tried to sell the console around the concept of the new EyeToy bundled with each system -- developers would've shifted their dev focus to the GameCube and XBox.

...I think you lost the plot. Do you think the only difference between the Wii U and the PS3/360 under the hood is more RAM? Because it also has a great new GPU and a more advanced CPU. Typical things you expect to find in a new generation of hardware.

they know that but can't accept.

bananaking21 said:
JWeinCom said:

no problem. edited it out though so if a mod see's it you dont get banned

Alright, cool.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zero999 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MohammadBadir said:
NightDragon83 said:

ps360 can't dream of running X and you'll need more than bullshots to put that lie on others mind.

No...X can be done, you're selling it way too hard when there are big games running on current gen consoles. The PS3 and 360 cannot dream of properly running Xbox One and PS4 exclusives. 

they can't run ps4 and xone exclusives just like they can't run wii u exclusives. with downgrades on everything then of course they can.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Soundwave said:
I don't think it's really so much the system that has to sell as much as it's certain games that have to sell.

If Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Batman, produce big numbers on Wii U then that would change things. Publishers want to see if there's a market, a 100 million userbase doesn't mean much to a publisher that's making Grand Theft Auto, as we saw with the Wii.

A lot of it is about what types of software your console moves, not just the size of the userbase. The biggest userbase doesn't matter to the publisher if you don't have an audience for the games they like to make.

Hence why Activision got pissed at the Nintendo fans for not buying enough COD to make a profit. The head of Ubisoft also complained about Zombie U stating there would not be a sequel.

care to show a link for that? because if 1M+ for a half assed down port isn't enough to profit, I don't know what they were expecting.

TheLastStarFighter said:
This year fall is a big one for Wii U and 3rd party support. For future 3rd party support Wii U needs to sell, and the games need to sell. Looking back at the first wave, the titles sold comparably to to PS360 versions minus the first week sales. This makes sense since they were late to the scene.

This fall the user base should be at least double the size and the titles should be releasing on time, so we should expect about double the sales numbers. That's probably enough to justify the porting costs for multiplat titles, but it may not be enough to justify the egos of the third party publishers who are used to their titles being the #1 titles on the Sony and MS platforms. Ideally they will want to see there big titles like COD and AC selling upwards of a million or more.

I think if Wii U sales get a surge this fall, you could see 3rd party titles sell in greater numbers. If that happens, and PS4 and XBOne adoptions rates are somewhat slow, 3rd party support will continue for Wii U in 2014 from Ubisoft and Activision, and others will buy in.

Tech specs won't be an overly big factor, just money and sales. Most titles will continue to be offered on PS360 through 2014, and will need to be to pay for the cost of making them. Wii U will get these titles as long as there is enough hardware out there.

bolded: yeah but as the userbase grows through the holidays, wii u's installed base should end 2013 with much more than double 2012 numbers. So I really think games like batman, AC4, ghosts and watch dogs will all cross the 500k mark. some of those may do well beyond that.