By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Yes. The Wii U will sell well this holiday. 176 59.86%

No. The Wii U won't sell well. 59 20.07%

It doesn't matter if the... 31 10.54%

See poll results. 28 9.52%

Total:294

I don't think it's really so much the system that has to sell as much as it's certain games that have to sell.

If Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Batman, produce big numbers on Wii U then that would change things. Publishers want to see if there's a market, a 100 million userbase doesn't mean much to a publisher that's making Grand Theft Auto, as we saw with the Wii.

A lot of it is about what types of software your console moves, not just the size of the userbase. The biggest userbase doesn't matter to the publisher if you don't have an audience for the games they like to make.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I don't think it's really so much the system that has to sell as much as it's certain games that have to sell.

If Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Batman, produce big numbers on Wii U then that would change things. Publishers want to see if there's a market, a 100 million userbase doesn't mean much to a publisher that's making Grand Theft Auto, as we saw with the Wii.

A lot of it is about what types of software your console moves, not just the size of the userbase. The biggest userbase doesn't matter to the publisher if you don't have an audience for the games they like to make.

Hence why Activision got pissed at the Nintendo fans for not buying enough COD to make a profit. The head of Ubisoft also complained about Zombie U stating there would not be a sequel.

the_dengle said:
ryuzaki57 said:

(1) Wrong. It lacks Lord of Shadows 2, Lightning Returns, Murdered, Yaiba Z, Dark Souls 2, Dead or Alive 5U, SoulCalibur II HD and I might forget some.

...Are any of those games coming out this Holiday? Are any of them confirmed for next-gen consoles, come to think of it? Lightning Returns definitely isn't. Lords of Shadow 2 now seems to be slipping into February. Soul Cal 2 is not next-gen... Yaiba is not next-gen, nor is it releasing before 2014... Dark Souls is coming out in like March, and also isn't confirmed for next-gen consoles... try harder?

Misunderstood the OP, sorry f(^_^')> (I read current-gen)

Soundwave said:

The thing with Wii is there wasnt much effort on 3rd parties side to create that kind of audience. I understand they couldnt port most of those games from PS360 but its very possible that a build from the ground up installment of Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row could have pushed 1-2 million and made a nice profit. Resident Evil 4 was popular on Wii and instead of making an exclusive Resident Evil in that style, they chose to go with the on rails style for some unknown reason. They brought over Dead Space and again instead of making it play like the others, they made it on rails. Dead Rising got an installment but from what I hear is wasnt very high quality.

Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Resident Evil all could have had success on the Wii with some effort.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

The thing with Wii is there wasnt much effort on 3rd parties side to create that kind of audience. I understand they couldnt port most of those games from PS360 but its very possible that a build from the ground up installment of Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row could have pushed 1-2 million and made a nice profit. Resident Evil 4 was popular on Wii and instead of making an exclusive Resident Evil in that style, they chose to go with the on rails style for some unknown reason. They brought over Dead Space and again instead of making it play like the others, they made it on rails. Dead Rising got an installment but from what I hear is wasnt very high quality.

Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Resident Evil all could have had success on the Wii with some effort.

It's really not a third parties job to market/define the target audience, IMO that falls on the shoulders of the console maker.

Asking a third party to do that is like asking your neighbor to raise your kids. Hey, borrowing the ketchup is one thing, doing that is quite another.

Nintendo doesn't make any games for that audience, nor do they spend any time marketing to them, it's not exactly a shock that things don't well in the long run.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
spemanig said:

It's no surprise that the Wii U is currently missing out on some amazing 3rd party multiplats that the next gen and even current gen consoles are getting. That being said, the Wii U's third party line up, at least compared to next gen consoles, is surprisingly saturated this holiday. More specifucally, the Wii U is getting every third party multiplat being released this holiday on next gen consoles except for anything published by EA.

I think it's very clear that the Wii U will have a successful holiday from a hardware and first party sales perspective (1). However, how 3rd party games will sell is far more dubious. Of course many Wii U owners here on VGC will be purchasing multiplats on the Wii U, but will the masses?

Basically, my question is this: How well do you think 3rd party multiplats will sell on the Wii U this holiday, and how do you see this changing the Wii U's 2014 third party line up? (2) Will it get better, or will it get worse? Will third parties begin to flock, or will they flee?

(1) It's actually getting less and less likely if you look at the preorders. WiiU games aren't pre-ordered at all.

(2) 3rd party games sales have little chance to turn out satisfying. Current WiiU onwers will always prefer Nintendo games, and Nintendo has 4 or 5 of them until Christmas versus 2 last year. Non-WiiU owners will either purchase the games on the console they have or upgrade to next-gen if they want the best experience. In any case, it means that the audience for 3rd party games is not there and publishers are well aware of that now.

(1) Preorders in this case are misleading. Nintendo IPs like Wii Fit are the types of games that people buy day one. Casuals don't preorder the way that hardcore gamers do. Even so, Wii Fit U has like 25K preorders. I'm surprised it has one, honestly. Once the ads come, the preorders will follow.

(2) Your judgement of Wii U owners is severely stereotypical. While of course fans will prefer Nintendo games in most cases, it's a fallacy to assume that fans will skip good 3rd party games. I'm buying 6 major Wii U games this year. All are 3rd party. Also, the Wii U is next gen, and many people feel that the Wii U is the best next-gen platform for innovative multiplatform experiences. Like me. Don't just raise a nose and ignore us as if our opinions don't matter. We're the ones who have the potencial the make 3rd party successful on the platform and are not a small number. I think 500K-1mil is a fair estimat of software sales, honestly.

The audience is definitely there. That isn't where my consern lies. However, you did list good reasons for being skeptical. I just don't fully agree with them.

Soundwave said:

It's really not a third parties job to market/define the target audience, IMO that falls on the shoulders of the console maker.

Asking a third party to do that is like asking your neighbor to raise your kids. Hey, borrowing the ketchup is one thing, doing that is quite another.

Nintendo doesn't make any games for that audience, nor do they spend any time marketing to them, it's not exactly a shock that things don't well in the long run.

This is something I have to kind of agree on. Kind of. I think that Nintendo is missing out on a huge market buy not investing in an online western-style first person shooter. There's no doubt about it. There's a weird science to this, however. They'd have to make the kind of shooter that attracts Nintendo fan's, attracts shooter fans, and doesn't cannibalize other shooters on the console.

I'm still of the opinion that an online shooter set in the universe of the Metroid series could do it. I also think that the Free-to-Play Ghost Recon Online would have helped EXPONENCIALLY. Nintendo could also release a completely new IP intirely.

I also think that they need to release a western RPG as well. X is a very good looking JRPG, but I think that a WRPG exclusive could help too. And a racing sim franchise. And a 3rd person shooter franchise. (and honestly, I think Nintendo would benefit from a Mario NFL Football and Mario Paintball 3rd person party shooter games)

I think marketing is Nintendo's biggest problem, though. The fact is Watch_Dogs, AC4, COD: Ghosts are all lacking ads that advertise the Wii U gamepad. I wasn't going to buy Splinter Cell until I saw how cool the Gamepad integration was. I wasn't going to get Black Ops 2 until I saw how completely mindblowing the local co-op with no split screen was. Heck, I'm going to get Madden 13 months later because my "dude bro" best friend who only games on the 360 like a few times a year with a wopping library of COD, GTA IV, Madden, and Batman (he just really likes Batman) thinks that drawing out your plays on the gamepad is the coolest thing he'd ever seen, only he never saw it until last night.

I want to get Watch_Dogs, but I can only hope that they will treat it as nice as they did Splinter Cell. I'm not really worried about COD because I use the Wii Remote, and I'm not really worried about Assasin's Creed because I'll probably use my Pro Controller. Those options should be ADVERTISED because it's honestly fucking cool.

Well all it could do is help, I fear the WiiU will suffer the same fate as the Vita.....Once the system starts selling well and companies think shit we should start making some games for the WiiU it will already be to late cause you'll have to wait ages to get the game and by then the sales will have probably dropped again.

This year fall is a big one for Wii U and 3rd party support. For future 3rd party support Wii U needs to sell, and the games need to sell. Looking back at the first wave, the titles sold comparably to to PS360 versions minus the first week sales. This makes sense since they were late to the scene.

This fall the user base should be at least double the size and the titles should be releasing on time, so we should expect about double the sales numbers. That's probably enough to justify the porting costs for multiplat titles, but it may not be enough to justify the egos of the third party publishers who are used to their titles being the #1 titles on the Sony and MS platforms. Ideally they will want to see there big titles like COD and AC selling upwards of a million or more.

I think if Wii U sales get a surge this fall, you could see 3rd party titles sell in greater numbers. If that happens, and PS4 and XBOne adoptions rates are somewhat slow, 3rd party support will continue for Wii U in 2014 from Ubisoft and Activision, and others will buy in.

Tech specs won't be an overly big factor, just money and sales. Most titles will continue to be offered on PS360 through 2014, and will need to be to pay for the cost of making them. Wii U will get these titles as long as there is enough hardware out there.

The question asked and the poll answer selections are not matching up well enough for me to answer with that.

But yes, if the Wii U gets healthier hardware sales this holiday, it would encourage more 3rd party support. Especially in Japan, where it looks like outside the biggest publishers, most developers would prefer to stick to lower costing development rather then gamble on trying to compete with the gambles of many more wealthy Western publishers that are trying to be the next Call of Duty or Bioshock or Mass Effect or Skyrim.

JWeinCom said:
bananaking21 said:
JWeinCom said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
they will get less and less i think. most publishers wont bother downgrading their games (visually, physics) and trying to port the game to the WiiU. the PS4/X1/PC market seems like it will be the place to go to for third parties this gen.

Yes because the PS2 was more powerful than the Xbox

they were on the same league. shall we compare specs of the WiiU and PS4? or have we done that already a billion times before?

They weren't on the same league dude. PS2 games looked flat out emberassing against GC/Xbox games

well provide some examples then. 

Sonic Heroes.  The bonus levels were nearly unplayable on PS2 due to framerate issues. 

one game... well.. just some bonus levels of a game that doesnt even stack up to the best looking games on the PS2 proves that the PS2 wasnt even on the same league as the xbox. makes perfect sense, you got me there. 

The whole game suffered from frame rate issues, and the bonus levels were actually a key part to completing the game because you need chaos emeralds to beat the game.

Anyway, you asked for a title that was better on the Gamecube, I told you the one that came to my head.  Any need to be a sarcastic jackass about it?

i asked for examples, not just one. and that was to try prove his false point that "PS2 games looked flat out embarrassing compared to GC/xbox games" which yet i havent seen any evidence of. one bad port surely doesnt prove shit. 

@bolded - ehh, i wont report you this time