By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Yes. The Wii U will sell well this holiday. 176 59.86%

No. The Wii U won't sell well. 59 20.07%

It doesn't matter if the... 31 10.54%

See poll results. 28 9.52%

Total:294

To be honest , if Wii U sales do great numbers from now on, 3rd parties will go only back to the weak hardware excuse. I think Nintendo just need to keep Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft, Activision on board, try to expand their own gaming divisions and form partnerships like they have done with platinum for exclusives.
Dont bother with EA again, the damage has been done, and Rockstar, Bethesda etc just arent interested, never have been in the past so no great loss imo.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Maybe. I'm going a little lower than that though.

I think the Wii U will have a large drop from the Wii in every market, and Japan will be no exception, especially with home consoles losing favor there.

I don't see the PS4 selling as much as the PS3 either.

That's fair. I certainly don't expect Wii numbers from any region, though I do expect better than GameCube numbers when all is said and done.

Do you mean you don't think the PS4 will sell as well as the PS3 in Japan only, or globally?

For the most part no. "mature" titles like AC, Battlefield, Batman, Dark souls, Metal Gear Solid are going to have a much stronger userbase on the other platforms. Even when I get a Wii U, Its only because I want the exclusives, so automatically 3rd parties are at a disadvantage and at the back of my priorities

Its a completely different story for sony and microsoft consoles, because plenty of people buy an Xbox or playstation for 3rd party titles like GTA. It comes down to hardware really. Because Nintendo makes underpowered hardware no one really wants to buy their machine to play inferior versions of 3rd party games. If the Wii U was the same strength as the PS4, I would have bought one by now and it would be my sol platform for the foreseeable future and I'd be getting it to play games like Witcher alongside nintendo's properties.

the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

Maybe. I'm going a little lower than that though.

I think the Wii U will have a large drop from the Wii in every market, and Japan will be no exception, especially with home consoles losing favor there.

I don't see the PS4 selling as much as the PS3 either.

That's fair. I certainly don't expect Wii numbers from any region, though I do expect better than GameCube numbers when all is said and done.

Do you mean you don't think the PS4 will sell as well as the PS3 in Japan only, or globally?

In Japan I think the PS4 will sell a little less than the PS3, but globally I think Sony is going to win this console cycle, though I suspect Microsoft will panic once they see Sony get out of the gates faster and start throwing their money around to try and even the scales. So I think Sony wins, but MS will make them sweat for it.

Soundwave said:

I do find it a little funny that 4-player Mario platformer couldn't sell the Wii U last year, but this year, apparently with no price cut, another 4-player Mario platformer is somehow going to cause Wii U sales to skyrocket.

The system needs a lot more variety (and thats including the games it has coming out this holiday) than just a bunch of platformers. Mario Kart 8 this holiday would've been much more ideal over Mario 3D World as the biggest title.

At $350 IMO this is a speciality item for hardcore Nintendo fanatics only.

Budget shoppers/parents/kids (groups that Nintendo usually has a chance with) will opt for the cheaper PS3/360 that have a far better library and a full roster of budget priced games.

That or the 3DS IMO which has more Nintendo franchises on it and costs far less.

Hardcore players aren't going to bite on the Wii U, they will ride out their PS3/360 until the PS4/XB1 become more affordable or appealling to those who aren't early adopters.

I'm just not seeing where the target audience for a $350 Nintendo console is. It definitely isn't the yuppie/casual crowd, they have the money to spend, but aren't going to spend it on "asymetric gaming". Their dollars are going to a new smartphone or tablet.

so much wrong it's hard to start.

calling 3d mario and 2d mario the same thing, saying the wii u lacks variety this year. saying it costs $350. saying nintendo's audience isn't "hardecore".

Around the Network

I'm hopeful but expecting the worst.

MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
they will get less and less i think. most publishers wont bother downgrading their games (visually, physics) and trying to port the game to the WiiU. the PS4/X1/PC market seems like it will be the place to go to for third parties this gen.

Yes because the PS2 was more powerful than the Xbox

The PS2 was a huge leap above the previous gen so it didn't matter. If it was merely an overclocked PSOne, developers would have prioriticed the gamecube or xbox. Just as they prioriticed the 360/ps3 despite the wii's larger userbase.

Zero999 said:
Soundwave said:

I do find it a little funny that 4-player Mario platformer couldn't sell the Wii U last year, but this year, apparently with no price cut, another 4-player Mario platformer is somehow going to cause Wii U sales to skyrocket.

The system needs a lot more variety (and thats including the games it has coming out this holiday) than just a bunch of platformers. Mario Kart 8 this holiday would've been much more ideal over Mario 3D World as the biggest title.

At $350 IMO this is a speciality item for hardcore Nintendo fanatics only.

Budget shoppers/parents/kids (groups that Nintendo usually has a chance with) will opt for the cheaper PS3/360 that have a far better library and a full roster of budget priced games.

That or the 3DS IMO which has more Nintendo franchises on it and costs far less.

Hardcore players aren't going to bite on the Wii U, they will ride out their PS3/360 until the PS4/XB1 become more affordable or appealling to those who aren't early adopters.

I'm just not seeing where the target audience for a $350 Nintendo console is. It definitely isn't the yuppie/casual crowd, they have the money to spend, but aren't going to spend it on "asymetric gaming". Their dollars are going to a new smartphone or tablet.

so much wrong it's hard to start.

calling 3d mario and 2d mario the same thing, saying the wii u lacks variety this year. saying it costs $350. saying nintendo's audience isn't "hardecore".

You're right 3D Mario and 2D Mario aren't the same thing -- 3D Mario almost always sells worse than 2D Mario. So that's not exactly a plus.

The Wii U isn't appealling to "hardcore" players, I'm speaking primarily about the 140 million owners of the 360/PS3 who play primarily IP like CoD, Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, etc. The Wii U has no appeal to this audience because they already have a PS3/360. The "Nintendo audience" thing is overblown, they make a lot of noise on internet message boards, but many of them like you don't even have a Wii U.

A lot of Nintendo fans can't even afford the system themselves but yell from the top of their lungs that no price cut is neccessary, just because they view that as being a sign of weakness in "system wars" (lol).

teigaga said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
they will get less and less i think. most publishers wont bother downgrading their games (visually, physics) and trying to port the game to the WiiU. the PS4/X1/PC market seems like it will be the place to go to for third parties this gen.

Yes because the PS2 was more powerful than the Xbox

The PS2 was a huge leap above the previous gen so it didn't matter. If it was merely an overclocked PSOne, developers would have prioriticed the gamecube or xbox. Just as they prioriticed the 360/ps3 despite the wii's larger userbase.

Yup pretty much. If instead of making the PS2, Sony had upped the RAM in the PSOne, added a new casing, and tried to sell the console around the concept of the new EyeToy bundled with each system -- developers would've shifted their dev focus to the GameCube and XBox.

There's just no way things like GTA3 and Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy X and MGS2 would be able to run on an overclocked PSOne without massive sacrifices to the scope/ambition of the games. Most developers wouldn't even bother with a "PSone+" version.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
MohammadBadir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Its kind of too late specs-wise for the "Next gen titles" but if Nintendo sells well enough they will get exclusive content. Too late for them ever getting next gen multiplats. People wont be holding themselves back for Nintendo unless the game is exclusive.

Isn't ubisoft developing the WiiU version of Watch Dogs alongside the PS4/XboxOne versions? We'll see how that holds up.

Watchdogs is on the PS3 and 360....its not next gen. Wait...so...do you mean to tell me you think Assassins Creed 4 is next gen since its on the PS4 and Xbox One?

it's being developed for next gen (wii u/ps4/xone) and being downported for ps360. AC4 is developed for ps360 and upported to next gen. but of course you knew that already.