By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Will good holiday 2013 sales from the Wii U help bring 3rd party games to the system next year?

Yes. The Wii U will sell well this holiday. 176 59.86%

No. The Wii U won't sell well. 59 20.07%

It doesn't matter if the... 31 10.54%

See poll results. 28 9.52%

Total:294
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MohammadBadir said:
NightDragon83 said:
MohammadBadir said:

X looks no better than any AAA PS360 exclusive, and those consoles are now 7 and 8 years 

By that logic the PS1 is weaker than the SNES

X could be played on a PS3 or 360. 

This is the end of current gen graphics.

You're telling me the PS3 and 360 cannot do this?

This in engine cutscene right here?

Lets be real here dude.

ps360 can't dream of running X and you'll need more than bullshots to put that lie on others mind.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Yup pretty much. If instead of making the PS2, Sony had upped the RAM in the PSOne, added a new casing, and tried to sell the console around the concept of the new EyeToy bundled with each system -- developers would've shifted their dev focus to the GameCube and XBox.

...I think you lost the plot. Do you think the only difference between the Wii U and the PS3/360 under the hood is more RAM? Because it also has a great new GPU and a more advanced CPU. Typical things you expect to find in a new generation of hardware.

spemanig said:

It's no surprise that the Wii U is currently missing out on some amazing 3rd party multiplats that the next gen and even current gen consoles are getting. That being said, the Wii U's third party line up, at least compared to next gen consoles, is surprisingly saturated this holiday. More specifucally, the Wii U is getting every third party multiplat being released this holiday on next gen consoles except for anything published by EA.

I think it's very clear that the Wii U will have a successful holiday from a hardware and first party sales perspective (1). However, how 3rd party games will sell is far more dubious. Of course many Wii U owners here on VGC will be purchasing multiplats on the Wii U, but will the masses?

Basically, my question is this: How well do you think 3rd party multiplats will sell on the Wii U this holiday, and how do you see this changing the Wii U's 2014 third party line up? (2) Will it get better, or will it get worse? Will third parties begin to flock, or will they flee?

(1) It's actually getting less and less likely if you look at the preorders. WiiU games aren't pre-ordered at all.

(2) 3rd party games sales have little chance to turn out satisfying. Current WiiU onwers will always prefer Nintendo games, and Nintendo has 4 or 5 of them until Christmas versus 2 last year. Non-WiiU owners will either purchase the games on the console they have or upgrade to next-gen if they want the best experience. In any case, it means that the audience for 3rd party games is not there and publishers are well aware of that now.

Zero999 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MohammadBadir said:
NightDragon83 said:

ps360 can't dream of running X and you'll need more than bullshots to put that lie on others mind.

No...X can be done, you're selling it way too hard when there are big games running on current gen consoles. The PS3 and 360 cannot dream of properly running Xbox One and PS4 exclusives. 

ryuzaki57 said:

(1) Wrong. It lacks Lord of Shadows 2, Lightning Returns, Murdered, Yaiba Z, Dark Souls 2, Dead or Alive 5U, SoulCalibur II HD and I might forget some.

...Are any of those games coming out this Holiday? Are any of them confirmed for next-gen consoles, come to think of it? Lightning Returns definitely isn't. Lords of Shadow 2 now seems to be slipping into February. Soul Cal 2 is not next-gen... Yaiba is not next-gen, nor is it releasing before 2014... Dark Souls is coming out in like March, and also isn't confirmed for next-gen consoles... try harder?

Around the Network

I don't see why it can't do well. It's the cheapest of the 3 by far. It's getting decent support from Nintendo and some 3rd parties now.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

ryuzaki57 said:
spemanig said:

It's no surprise that the Wii U is currently missing out on some amazing 3rd party multiplats that the next gen and even current gen consoles are getting. That being said, the Wii U's third party line up, at least compared to next gen consoles, is surprisingly saturated this holiday. More specifucally, the Wii U is getting every third party multiplat being released this holiday on next gen consoles (1) except for anything published by EA.

I think it's very clear that the Wii U will have a successful holiday from a hardware and first party sales perspective (2). However, how 3rd party games will sell is far more dubious. Of course many Wii U owners here on VGC will be purchasing multiplats on the Wii U, but will the masses?

Basically, my question is this: How well do you think 3rd party multiplats will sell on the Wii U this holiday, and how do you see this changing the Wii U's 2014 third party line up? (3) Will it get better, or will it get worse? Will third parties begin to flock, or will they flee?

(1) Wrong. It lacks Lord of Shadows 2, Lightning Returns, Murdered, Yaiba Z, Dark Souls 2, Dead or Alive 5U, SoulCalibur II HD and I might forget some.

(2) It's actually getting less and less likely if you look at the preorders. WiiU games aren't pre-ordered at all.

(3) 3rd party games sales have little chance to turn out satisfying. Current WiiU onwers will always prefer Nintendo games, and Nintendo has 4 or 5 of them until Christmas versus 2 last year. Non-WiiU owners will either purchase the games on the console they have or upgrade to next-gen if they want the best experience. In any case, it means that the audience for 3rd party games is not there and publishers are well aware of that now.

Go back and look at the first bolded section. It says next gen multiplats this holiday, which is true, the only ones skipping Wii U are EA games. U listed a bunch of PS360 games and not all of those are even coming this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

the2real4mafol said:
I don't see why it can't do well. It's the cheapest of the 3 by far. It's getting decent support from Nintendo and some 3rd parties now.

Definitely if it sells well enough it will get a good amount of third party current gen support. 

Money talks. If there is a market on the Wii U, the publishers will push for it, and the devs will make 'em.

Zero999 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MohammadBadir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Its kind of too late specs-wise for the "Next gen titles" but if Nintendo sells well enough they will get exclusive content. Too late for them ever getting next gen multiplats. People wont be holding themselves back for Nintendo unless the game is exclusive.

Isn't ubisoft developing the WiiU version of Watch Dogs alongside the PS4/XboxOne versions? We'll see how that holds up.

Watchdogs is on the PS3 and 360....its not next gen. Wait...so...do you mean to tell me you think Assassins Creed 4 is next gen since its on the PS4 and Xbox One?

it's being developed for next gen (wii u/ps4/xone) and being downported for ps360. AC4 is developed for ps360 and upported to next gen. but of course you knew that already.

Watch Dogs was downported from the PC ( not next gen consoles), like all the other games were. The first videos of Watchdogs were from PC's which is why people percieved it to be next gen. The PS4's version was shown this year opposed to last year, slightly not as good as the PC counterpart.

Technically Battlefield 3 was next gen level tech on PC that was scaled down quite a bit for consoles showing the power of the newest frostbite engine. That is a true downscale.