By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Killer Instinct Pricing Revealed

fighter said:
Pavolink said:
Toxicspikes said:
Quite a nice pricing model actually. You'd pay $40,- for the full game, and less if you don't want the full game. The arcade game is a nice freebie if you buy the $40 pack.

Agree. If people understand the mechanism of this pay model it could be very succesful and maybe we'll see more games in the future like this one. For example, SFV.

I sincerely hope/ expect that the pricing model is built around e-sports : low entry price + short list of caracters + tight and continuously updated gameplay [hopefully]

The franchise has great potential but being on a single console they need maximum reach within the One userbase to gain e-sport traction.

Maybe i'm dreaming, but you don't revive such a cult franchise for nothing and up to now the job seems outstanding.

Forgot to add, most fighter player will have noticed that very few caracters make it to the tournaments. This is why I think KI3 is aiming at e-sports like no other fighter. Also their presence at EVO this year.

Around the Network
fighter said:
Pavolink said:
Toxicspikes said:
Quite a nice pricing model actually. You'd pay $40,- for the full game, and less if you don't want the full game. The arcade game is a nice freebie if you buy the $40 pack.

Agree. If people understand the mechanism of this pay model it could be very succesful and maybe we'll see more games in the future like this one. For example, SFV.

I sincerely hope/ expect that the pricing model is built around e-sports : low entry price + short list of caracters + tight and continuously updated gameplay [hopefully]

The franchise has great potential but being on a single console they need maximum reach within the One userbase to gain e-sport traction.

Maybe i'm dreaming, but you don't revive such a cult franchise for nothing and up to now the job seems outstanding.

Double Helix guys seem to be pouring everything they have into it and seem to want to support for after in a big way.

Which is great cos I think the chances of getting Riptor at launch are slim :P

Max King of the Wild said:
yo_john117 said:

What I meant was it's no different than any other incentive program. You can possibly spend more money by buying ala cart (but if you are buying ala cart you probably won't be getting everything anyways) or you get the incentive to buy everything for cheaper. It's a tried and true business tactic that has been going on for a long, long time.

Really though, having options is not a bad thing. It just isn't. 

Anyways the few people that screw themselves by slowly buying everything probably won't care, so why should you?

The ala carte business practice (that I can thing of) usually has a justifiable reason for being more expensive to buy more smaller portions than a bulk. In this case I really cant see what would justify it. Also, I said I wouldn't have as big of a problem at 3 dollars per character and you are still paying more. No ala carte place I can think of (I honestly can only think of food places with this practice) has that big of a gap for the same amount. It usually is only saving a couple bucks buying the bigger portion than many smaller ones. In this case its a 15 dollar difference for just the characters and you don't even get all the bonuses.

Why should I care? Because like in my first post I do not want to see this as a norm

You know, I actually agree with everything you said here (I also think it should be $3 a character as well instead of $5).

Even if this does become the norm, which I don't think it will, you don't have to worry about it because you'll always have the option to buy the full game if you want. I still think KI pricing plan is overall decent though because it gives you options, which I think is a good thing.

The pricing plan is great and people who are bitching are doing so for the sake of it, they know full well it won't become "the norm".

Max King of the Wild said:
sales2099 said:

Gimme a break, this is one game among the 20 launching for X1. A test model for a incredibly successful pricing model used on tablets and smartphones. This is hardly the new standard for console games and you sound overly bitter given how awesome this game is shaping up to be.

They priced for people like you. $20 for all characters, and $40 for the whole package. Very competitive. You may then use parental controls to prevent your kids to buy anything further. Now just stop.

Again, the game is free to play......I still think you have trouble grasping this core concept.

Lol. Why would i want console gaming to turn out like phone/tablet gaming? I dont. If you do then go play those games onstead. I didnt say it was a new standard. And you know why it isnt yet? Because it hasnt succeeded yet. Once it does you can bet it will start becoming more common. Somethin i dont want to see period.

Actually it's happening now. If you notice we aren't paying 60 for the game with all the content. It's more like 75-90 after you buy the downloadable content season pass etc...  it's quite ridiculous 

Around the Network

8 characters isn't quite as much as I hoped for but I what I expected. I expected a final roster of about 12 but in the Ken Lobb interview this is just season 1. Season 2 will be another 8 character roster which will not be a new game but just a new part of this game. $20 for 8 characters and a full game is fair. At least I will get to master all 8 now :) I for one can't wait for Killer Instinct. I'm glad this isn't a full blown $60 title. I don't have enough money to go around after buying Xbox One, COD, an exclusive (Ryse,DR3, or Forza 5 I don't know yet) and this game.

So $20 for 8 characters total. Get 6 at launch then 2 early next year with the story mode.

Or $40 for the 8 characters plus character skins and original Killer Instinct.

Then sometime in 2014 season 2 will release with 8 characters for most likely $20.

Great pricing imo. If you decide to get Utra version plus including season 2 that is $60 for 16 characters, extra character skins, and original game.

They're really rushing to get this game out lol

$20 for a game of this caliber is a bargain.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

tuscaniman99 said:
8 characters isn't quite as much as I hoped for but I what I expected. I expected a final roster of about 12 but in the Ken Lobb interview this is just season 1. Season 2 will be another 8 character roster which will not be a new game but just a new part of this game. $20 for 8 characters and a full game is fair. At least I will get to master all 8 now :) I for one can't wait for Killer Instinct. I'm glad this isn't a full blown $60 title. I don't have enough money to go around after buying Xbox One, COD, an exclusive (Ryse,DR3, or Forza 5 I don't know yet) and this game.

They weren't ready I am sure. They will add the rest as a DLC Pack.