By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Killer Instinct Pricing Revealed

I don't have a problem with the price, it seems reasonable enough, $5 per character is decent and $20 price point is a great deal.

What I find extremely disappointing in is the actual output.

6 characters at launch only... (even Skullgirls had 8 characters) and no single player story mode.

This is as bare-boned as it comes and makes me feel that this game really should stay in the oven a little longer.

Take Tekken Revolution as a free-to-play example, it has 8 starting characters out of a total of 12 (now 18 after dlc), this is a very reasonable amount of starting characters and makes Killer Instinct's offer of 1 free character feel kind of pathetic.

I feel that MS would earn a lot more kudos if they were a bit more generous with their starting lineup. Say 4 free to play characters with 6 more purchasable to make 10 characters at game launch... but I guess they really wanted this game for the console launch and simply ran out of time.

Right now it simply doesn't feel like a complete game.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MS is going to pull DLC out of their ass for this game. They are going to drag out the profit past $60 through DLC.

Oh give it a rest. For starters you can only spend $20 on the full roster.

"Characters, individually, will cost "$5, or the European equivalent," and if you decide you want to buy the rest, you'll get a special discount to "top off" so you're never spending more than $20 for the full roster."

Secondly they're going to do a season pass 2, which isn't going to cost more than the main game, it'll likely be another $20 for 8+ characters.

Dude you know full well that any fighting fan wants the full package with the original KI. After that they will drag it out with DLC.

So? What's your point? They can do that if they want.

I know more people that want to buy a couple of characters than I do the full game.

yo_john117 said:

What I meant was it's no different than any other incentive program. You can possibly spend more money by buying ala cart (but if you are buying ala cart you probably won't be getting everything anyways) or you get the incentive to buy everything for cheaper. It's a tried and true business tactic that has been going on for a long, long time.

Really though, having options is not a bad thing. It just isn't. 

Anyways the few people that screw themselves by slowly buying everything probably won't care, so why should you?

The ala carte business practice (that I can thing of) usually has a justifiable reason for being more expensive to buy more smaller portions than a bulk. In this case I really cant see what would justify it. Also, I said I wouldn't have as big of a problem at 3 dollars per character and you are still paying more. No ala carte place I can think of (I honestly can only think of food places with this practice) has that big of a gap for the same amount. It usually is only saving a couple bucks buying the bigger portion than many smaller ones. In this case its a 15 dollar difference for just the characters and you don't even get all the bonuses.

Why should I care? Because like in my first post I do not want to see this as a norm

8 characters is a bit low for a fighter but at least it's priced accordingly and there's more to come. I guess that by the time I get an Xbox One (if I ever get one) the full roster will be available so I'm cool with that.

Signature goes here!

Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Dude you know full well that any fighting fan wants the full package with the original KI. After that they will drag it out with DLC.

I know more people that want to buy a couple of characters than I do the full game.

LOL..I know quite a few people who would love an updated version of the original game rather than the new game itself.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL..I know quite a few people who would love an updated version of the original game rather than the new game itself.

The company we keep ;)

Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The company we keep ;)

So you're telling me the new game looks better than the original (in arcade edition)?

mibuokami said:

I don't have a problem with the price, it seems reasonable enough, $5 per character is decent and $20 price point is a great deal.

6 characters at launch only... (even Skullgirls had 8 characters) and no single player story mode.

This is as bare-boned as it comes and makes me feel that this game really should stay in the oven a little longer.

Take Tekken Revolution as a free-to-play example, it has 8 starting characters out of a total of 12 (now 18 after dlc), this is a very reasonable amount of starting characters and makes Killer Instinct's offer of 1 free character feel kind of pathetic.

I feel that MS would earn a lot more kudos if they were a bit more generous with their starting lineup. Say 4 free to play characters with 6 more purchasable to make 10 characters at game launch... but I guess they really wanted this game for the console launch and simply ran out of time.

I get your qualms.  I love Tekken Revolution (even made a thread about it not too long ago), but TR likely will be the bigger money gouger of the two.  Sure it has more content, but your play time is severely limited by the tickets and tokens (orbs or whatever) system.  I, myself, play it between other games so I don't need to sit down with TR for hours at a time, but for serious fighting fans, you'll probably get more bang for your buck with KI unless Rare imposes some type of time restraint like TR has.

You can have all the content in the world, but if you can't access it, what is the true value?  There basically is no such thing as F2P in reality so one game (KI) is trading quantity for access.  Hence why I'd rather Tekken F2P use a model similar to KI's in the future so I can play it online all I want instead of have to wait on timers or spend real money to fight.  But I still think TR is a damn good value for what it offers and what it charges (for me, free).

danasider said:
mibuokami said:

I get your qualms.  I love Tekken Revolution (even made a thread about it not too long ago), but TR likely will be the bigger money gouger of the two.  Sure it has more content, but your play time is severely limited by the tickets and tokens (orbs or whatever) system.  I, myself, play it between other games so I don't need to sit down with TR for hours at a time, but for serious fighting fans, you'll probably get more bang for your buck with KI unless Rare imposes some type of time restraint like TR has.

You can have all the content in the world, but if you can't access it, what is the true value?  There basically is no such thing as F2P in reality so one game (KI) is trading quantity for access.  Hence why I'd rather Tekken F2P use a model similar to KI's in the future so I can play it online all I want instead of have to wait on timers or spend real money to fight.  But I still think TR is a damn good value for what it offers and what it charges (for me, free).

Totally understand your point, and I am not asking them to provide the same amount of content given their policy... just a little more than what they have to offer which I don't feel amounts to a full game even if you buy everything at launch.

Pavolink said:
Toxicspikes said:
Quite a nice pricing model actually. You'd pay $40,- for the full game, and less if you don't want the full game. The arcade game is a nice freebie if you buy the $40 pack.

Agree. If people understand the mechanism of this pay model it could be very succesful and maybe we'll see more games in the future like this one. For example, SFV.

I sincerely hope/ expect that the pricing model is built around e-sports : low entry price + short list of caracters + tight and continuously updated gameplay [hopefully]

The franchise has great potential but being on a single console they need maximum reach within the One userbase to gain e-sport traction.

Maybe i'm dreaming, but you don't revive such a cult franchise for nothing and up to now the job seems outstanding.