By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why not make X into a big Nintendo franchise?

Tagged games:

Bajablo said:
areason said:
NintendoPie said:
areason said:
Nintendo doesn't have the market which would make X a big franchise.

Yeah, okay. Sure.

OT: I doubt Nintendo really wants to delve all that much into JRPG's. It's nice to have some in-house JRPG's every once and awhile. But creating a major franchise (which costs a lot of money to manage) based around a JRPG is risky. Even with the larger fanbase.

I love how people don't try to prove me wrong, they just laugh at what i say. 

So noone played xenoblade chronicles? Nintendo gamers sure hate RPG's.... you are lost, thats why we laugh.

The majority of rpg gamers are on ps3/360/pc as shown by sales and game releases. 

Around the Network
areason said:
KHlover said:
areason said:

Yup, that's why Xenoblade completely sold out in the US (why the hell didn't Nintendo reprint?) and now moves $100 for a USED copy. Oh wait...

0.84 lifetime sales doesn't mean it is a big franchise, even if nintendo printed more copies max it would have sold 200k more copies. 

Based on what evidence?

Conegamer said:
areason said:
NintendoPie said:
areason said:

Yeah, okay. Sure.

OT: I doubt Nintendo really wants to delve all that much into JRPG's. It's nice to have some in-house JRPG's every once and awhile. But creating a major franchise (which costs a lot of money to manage) based around a JRPG is risky. Even with the larger fanbase.

Alright then. Let me ask you this: Why exactly can't Nintendo make this into a major franchise? You've seen how Xenoblade did, no? And that was on an effectively dead system in the West, and the outcry from GameStop should make it obvious that people want the game. 

Now imagine the game like X with better graphics, coming out at the peak of the system's life, with major advertising and that fan are from Xenoblade already on the system. With the demand Xenoblade has seen, X should have a plentiful supply. That's a game which should easily double Xenoblades sales, so we are looking at maybe 1.5mil. Is that a major franchise to you? Nintendo certainly has the money for it, and initial responses have been strong. Nintendo knows this is what people want, and the Directs should prove they have an interest in marketing the game. And it all seems perfectly possible. Saying a intends doesn't have the audience is foolish, because if the game looks good, people will buy the system. Looking on this forum alone should confirm this to you.

So now, it's your turn. Explain to me why YOU believe Nintendo could never possibly make this game into a franchise, because they don't have a market on a struggling system which has been out for less than a year. Or will you just laugh instead or proving me wrong, I wonder?

Finally, people won't respond to you properly unless you post your opinion in depth. Had you backed up your thoughts and NinPie had said that, I may have reported him, or pointed it out to him. Then, you would be in the right. But you can't expect deep responses ifnyounput in no effort in the first place.

The best post in this thread by far. I agree the game looks good and it will sell more then its predesassor, and it will also move units. But as i previously said nintendo doesn't havelarge amount of the rpg market, or people interest in jrpgs in order to make X a big franchise, potentially the new zelda as the op stated. Most rpg fans will be getting the ps4/x1 or will have a pc, and one rpg alone won't be enough for them to justify the purchase of a new system no matter how good it is. Making an amazing game and marketing it well isn't enough when the typical consumer buying your console isn't a fan of rpgs. 

I definately think that X will do good and that it will be a great game, i myself am interested in it even though i have no intention of getting a wii u, but it will not have 3,4,5 million + of sales to make it a big franchise. 

Uh, X is already basically a Nintendo franchise, and it's a new IP without a title a year away from release. It was revealed on a Nintendo Direct along with the other first party franchises and was then presented further at E3. We know more about X than we do Zelda Wii U.

You don't do that for stuff like Marvel Pinball.

Granted, I don't think we'll see too many sequels and I think Nintendo should get Monolith something other to do than mech RPGs, but it's still a start. I expect Nintendo wants to keep Monolith Soft's brand image separate from their own so their RPGs don't conflict with Nintendo's titles, even though the people are sure to be shuffled all over the place.

IsawYoshi said:
KHlover said:
areason said:

Yup, that's why Xenoblade completely sold out in the US (why the hell didn't Nintendo reprint?) and now moves $100 for a USED copy. Oh wait...

Not to mention that the game barely got any advertisment.

barely any advertisement?!

haha, then what the hell was 'Operation Rainfall'?

Around the Network
areason said:
Bajablo said:
areason said:
NintendoPie said:
areason said:

Yeah, okay. Sure.

So noone played xenoblade chronicles? Nintendo gamers sure hate RPG's.... you are lost, thats why we laugh.

The majority of rpg gamers are on ps3/360/pc as shown by sales and game releases. 

pokemon says hello...... Joking, Joking :P

Train wreck said:
IsawYoshi said:
KHlover said:
areason said:

??? Thats advertisement? im just asking O.o

Train wreck said:
IsawYoshi said:
KHlover said:
areason said:

Fans taking action to get the games released in the West. I do not call that advertisment. A tv ad is advertisment, if that helps you. 

I'm getting my Wii U when this game release!

tbone51 said:
Train wreck said:

??? Thats advertisement? im just asking O.o

He's right about that.  Xenoblade got more word-of-mouth and consumer advertising than just about any other game last gen.  Honestly, NoA was absolutely foolish not to play that up as much as possible in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle.  Seriously, they blew a golden chance.  People who had zero interest in most JRPGs were talking about Project Rainfall.  Final Fantasy games are basically the only other JRPGs that people who don't play JRPGs are often interested in.  You can't buy that kind of advertising and Nintendo ignored it.

As for X becoming a big franchise, I really don't know.  Xenoblade was in such a unique situation.  It did average numbers everywhere except North America, but how much of those NA numbers were because of the hype?  Did Project Rainfall inflate the numbers beyond normal?  Frankly, we won't know until we see how X does.

However, they're going to need to have a character or mascot they can market.  That's the key to success on a Nintendo system.