By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why not make X into a big Nintendo franchise?

Tagged games:

IsawYoshi said:
Train wreck said:
IsawYoshi said:
KHlover said:
areason said:
Nintendo doesn't have the market which would make X a big franchise.

Yup, that's why Xenoblade completely sold out in the US (why the hell didn't Nintendo reprint?) and now moves $100 for a USED copy. Oh wait...

Not to mention that the game barely got any advertisment.

barely any advertisement?!

haha, then what the hell was 'Operation Rainfall'?

Fans taking action to get the games released in the West. I do not call that advertisment. A tv ad is advertisment, if that helps you. 

I think any public notice, especially when a product(s) is involved is considered some form of advertisement.  How did people know that gamestop/the nintendo store was the only location you could get the game? osmosis?

Around the Network

X is the successor to Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade Chronicles. The reality is it's basically an IP and long running series already; it just keeps changing it's name because of the different publishers they have to go through (Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Nintendo).

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Train wreck said:
IsawYoshi said:
Train wreck said:
IsawYoshi said:
KHlover said:
areason said:
Nintendo doesn't have the market which would make X a big franchise.

Yup, that's why Xenoblade completely sold out in the US (why the hell didn't Nintendo reprint?) and now moves $100 for a USED copy. Oh wait...

Not to mention that the game barely got any advertisment.

barely any advertisement?!

haha, then what the hell was 'Operation Rainfall'?

Fans taking action to get the games released in the West. I do not call that advertisment. A tv ad is advertisment, if that helps you. 

I think any public notice, especially when a product(s) is involved is considered some form of advertisement.  How did people know that gamestop/the nintendo store was the only location you could get the game? osmosis?

Then why is the only tv commercials I see in Norway Cod commercials and FIFA commercials? 97% if not more of those that play Cod knows about the game either way, and the same can be said about FIFA. Of cource, getting OR was great for Xenoblade, but very many games get the word of mouth treatment online. Also, Pandoras tower and the Last Sotry also got the OR showcase, and look how Pandoras Tower went compared to Xenoblade. 

theshonen8899 said:
X is the successor to Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade Chronicles. The reality is it's basically an IP and long running series already; it just keeps changing it's name because of the different publishers they have to go through (Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Nintendo).

The point is to make it into a great selling franchise, maybe like a Zelda.

pokoko said:

He's right about that.  Xenoblade got more word-of-mouth and consumer advertising than just about any other game last gen.  Honestly, NoA was absolutely foolish not to play that up as much as possible in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle.  Seriously, they blew a golden chance.  People who had zero interest in most JRPGs were talking about Project Rainfall.  Final Fantasy games are basically the only other JRPGs that people who don't play JRPGs are often interested in.  You can't buy that kind of advertising and Nintendo ignored it.

My personal theory as to why Nintendo didn't took the chance was because of piracy. First, for some weird reason, Nintendo took waaay too long to decide if they wanted to publish the game or not, and by the time they made the decision the game was already pirated to no end, heck according to this, the game was downloaded nearly 1 million times in 2011. It doesn't matter which company you are, this kind of numbers are no big incentive and this is likely the reason why the game had a limited print. 

As far as I know, Xenoblade is probably the only game ever where the illegal downloads are much higher than the actual sales.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I think they are. Thats why they bought monolith.

Not that it helps the western press cause they just act like it doesnt exist and ignore it.

Isn't that what Nintendo is trying to do?

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

areason said:

I love how people don't try to prove me wrong, they just laugh at what i say. 

It's because we have more respect for our time than that. And yes, I say that as someone who's spending time posting on an internet forum about videogame sales, so you should have a pretty good idea how low that particular bar is.

F0X said:

Isn't that what Nintendo is trying to do?

No, because Nintendo hates the hardcore gamer.

No, wait, that's me.

osed125 said:
pokoko said:

He's right about that.  Xenoblade got more word-of-mouth and consumer advertising than just about any other game last gen.  Honestly, NoA was absolutely foolish not to play that up as much as possible in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle.  Seriously, they blew a golden chance.  People who had zero interest in most JRPGs were talking about Project Rainfall.  Final Fantasy games are basically the only other JRPGs that people who don't play JRPGs are often interested in.  You can't buy that kind of advertising and Nintendo ignored it.

My personal theory as to why Nintendo didn't took the chance was because of piracy. First, for some weird reason, Nintendo took waaay too long to decide if they wanted to publish the game or not, and by the time they made the decision the game was already pirated to no end, heck according to this, the game was downloaded nearly 1 million times in 2011. It doesn't matter which company you are, this kind of numbers are no big incentive and this is likely the reason why the game had a limited print. 

As far as I know, Xenoblade is probably the only game ever where the illegal downloads are much higher than the actual sales.

That's Nintendo's own fault. Make the content available and pirating rates will drop. It's already been proven to work. It's their own fault for not putting more trust in their software in the first place.

TheKoreanGuy said:
osed125 said:

That's Nintendo's own fault. Make the content available and pirating rates will drop. It's already been proven to work. It's their own fault for not putting more trust in their software in the first place.

And I agree to that. Nintendo took way too much time to make the decision and by that time the damage was already done. My point is that after seeing this numbers, no matter which company you are, you won't want to publish the game.

Nintendo and PC gamer