By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata Cites Poor Basic Wii U Sales To Rule Out Price Cut Benefits

So...

Iwata, y u so smart!? 23 14.11%

Iwata, y u so stupid!? 30 18.40%

IsawYoshi for President! 16 9.82%

No, seriously, he's right 42 25.77%

No, seriously, he's wrong 52 31.90%

Total:163

A price cut would help, but as most said it s a short term boost, they do need software and they need it fast, I hope it won't be too late once the big hitter come out.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:
Gamerace said:
IF the lack of software is a chronic problem for their hardware then it's long past time Nintendo invested in more studios or focused on only a home or portable system since they are clearly incapable of sufficiently supporting both adequately.

If they know lack of software is going to hinder hardware sales (which then hinders software sales) why don't they actually do something the (expletive) about it? More than a temporary influx of games like WiiU is getting.

They are finally doing it, but it still takes time. Big new building for EAD in Kyoto, from what Google maps can show, but that won't come online until 2014, so fruits from that expansion will not come to bear until the last year or two of the Wii U's lifecycle.

That's simply poor planning on their part to be honest. It means really in effect the Wii U will get little/no benefit from that, because by the 4th year of its lifecycle, whatever the system is will be more than set in stone and there's no changing anything.

You need to have software in the formative years of a console so that the system can be defined. It's kinda like high school, lol, after the first two years your image and your group of friends for most people is mostly set, it ain't changing in senior year.

The new building has been in the works for a very long time, and plans like these do take time. I remember hearing about this plan back about midway through the Wii's lifecycle. Nintendo's desire to grow organically is really the slow way of doing it compared to snapping up existing studios (with their own office space, most importantly), though ultimately what exists will be a natural extension of Nintendo, aiding company cohesion and unity of vision, which is sharply lacking across most major publishers nowadays.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I think the reason the basic model sold so little is because the deluxe model is just $50 more with a free $60 game with upgraded space, a really nice black finish, included wii motion sensor bar which is not on the basic version btw and a few other things...

So I think hes wrong on that part however a price cut alone wouldnt sell too much until there are more games available

I agree the deluxe model just offers so much more for a bit extra money, the basic model should not have been released to begin with.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

famousringo said:
justinian said:
Iwata seems a decent enough guy but this is getting ridiculous.

It's the same old excuse from him over and over again since 2002 Do some research and you will see my point.

1) Slow Gamecube sales a few years back. The excuse: "Lack of software".
2) The Lackluster start to the DS: The excuse: "We should have considered more software with the launch".
3) The wii midlife crisis: The excuse: "Software".
4) 3DS slow start: The excuse: "Not enough software to sell system".
5) The Wii U....you get the point.

I like Nintendo but the gods must surely be getting angry.

And yet, nothing in your post suggests that lack of compelling software wasn't behind each and every slowdown.

Of course it was the reason behind every slowdown or more to the point every launch (apart from wii).

I wasn't suggesting otherwise so maybe you misunderstood my point.

The last two Nintendo console launches have been done very badly.

However Nintendo have learnt one thing. It took a price cut to get things going for the 3DS because of poor software support. Right there is bags of money lost. No company plans to cut the price of a console so soon after launch. It screws up the financial forecast. Yes the 3DS recovered but it would have been much better financially to have sold it for the launch retail price for much longer.

That's why they are not so keen to cut the wii u price as they did with the 3DS. The fact that it is already being sold at a lost probably aids this decision but it seems that every fool knows software sells consoles apart from Nintendo.

How often does a wise man fall into the same trap?

I cannot recall MS or Sony using this excuse every two minutes. They probably have but not as frequent as Iwata.

Egann said:

The problem wasn't just that Nintendo didn't have titles, but that what titles they had were the wrong ones. None of the Wii U's software has actually showcased the gamepad or been major blockbusters. 

Compare with the Wii:

• Packaged with Wii Sports to showcase motion gaming.
  • Had WarioWare at launch to showcase motion gaming further.
  • Had Twilight Princess as a LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE.
The Wii's big title was Twilight Princess. The Wii U's big titles were Mario World and Pikmin 3...which got delayed almost a year. There's almost no comparison: Mario and Pikmin are titles people who already have the console will get.
Moral of the story: Zelda sells consoles. Mario and Pikmin does not. 
I look in the future and see X and Zelda Wii U hitting the market around the same time FF XV does....this is going to be one tight generation. I still think the Wii U will do well in two console entertainment centers, but there are some heartbreaking decisions in the pipe come 2014.

NSMB Wii has sold more copies than almost every console Zelda combined.

Zelda didn't sell the GameCube and Mario and GoldenEye sold the majority of N64s IMO.

For all the bruhaha about Twlight Princess, it was easily outsold on the Wii by things like Mario & Sonic Olympics and Mario Party 7.

Wii Sports is the Wii's big game, that sold the console.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
justinian said:

I have been arguing this for so freakin' long it's insane. How much longer will it take before they wakeup and realise that if they continue on their current path of releasing non-standard hardware developers will not be interested regardless of sales - as with the wii.

Open a new Nintendo studio, call it Nintendo Hardcore or whatever so people will know it is a Nintendo game but not the cartoony kids games. Not everyone is into Mario and Zelda. What sells a billion today wont necessarily sell more than a quater that tomorrow.

You would have thought that the success of the wii and it's first party titles would have pushed them to expand their genres into FPS, Driving Sims etc., They need their hands in more pies where software is concern.

I'll probably get ganked for saying this ("It's a waste of resources; we don't want third parties, we want Nintendo games!"), but:

I've always thought Nintendo could potentially look into investing in two studios - one in Japan; one in Europe/US, to do porting work for them.  Then approach the bigger publishers who aren't bringing their titles across (say: approach Konami about MGS5 and Rockstar about GTA5) and offer assistance in porting the games across.  

I know that it shouldn't have to come to this, but I think it has the potential to help.  If they can get some of the bigger names to come across; and then advertise them when they do; it might kick-start some other titles to come over other than Call of Duty & Assassin's Creed.

I suppose the potential downside is that it may cause some developers to expect Nintendo to offer assistance in the future.

I dunno, just an idea.

I think you make perfect sense and you are on the right track.

When Sony launch the PS4 they talked a lot about how they consulted the third party developers to find out what they (the developers) wanted from a console. When MS was told by developers to double the RAM on the x360 they did it.

Nintendo seems to be out of touch with the developers and produce consoles that suit themselves. I see nothing wrong with this. I even respect this.  But if you take this path surely at some point common sense will indicate that when you are in such a position you can only rely on yourself to develop software.

To hell with the third party. Expand your studios to create new games and develop genres that are so badly supported on the wii u. Develop your own Halo, your own GT while still focusing on your bread and butter that is Mario, Zelda and SSBB etc.,

If Nintendo can work with the third parties porting  games as you suggested, brilliant.

At least that way you can be sure to have decent titles to support your console from launch. MS or Sony don't need to do this because they have full third party support and the way the industry have grown over the last gen these developers will now want to start making money ASAP on their consoles.

I like many other wii u owners have one for the typical Nintendo games but find it frustrating that I must then buy another console for quality shooters, driving sims, sports etc., If nintendo gave me those games I would probably be happy with just the wii u. That's me being totally honest. If I was allowed only one console next gen it would probably be the PS4 or xbone because I rather have the quality sports, FPS, Driving Sims etc., over cartoon games (which I still like). And I am a big nintendo fan.

Right now lots of potential wii u buyers are waiting for game or a price cut. Some have probably given up on it all together. There is no urgency.

Don't give customers these options. Give them software so that they buy the console now and can't wait for a price cut.

pokoko said:
That's kind of like being in a boat with five large holes in the bottom, pointing at one and saying, "THAT hole isn't the problem, it's the one beside it."

Are you saying that the Wii U has more than one problem? Because that's just ridiculous!

Nintendo can't be that far in the hole, can they?!

Cut price. Bundle the 2D marios.

It's the best bet to salvage the disaster.

I LOVE ICELAND!

justinian said:
famousringo said:

And yet, nothing in your post suggests that lack of compelling software wasn't behind each and every slowdown.

Of course it was the reason behind every slowdown or more to the point every launch (apart from wii).

I wasn't suggesting otherwise so maybe you misunderstood my point.

The last two Nintendo console launches have been done very badly.

However Nintendo have learnt one thing. It took a price cut to get things going for the 3DS because of poor software support. Right there is bags of money lost. No company plans to cut the price of a console so soon after launch. It screws up the financial forecast. Yes the 3DS recovered but it would have been much better financially to have sold it for the launch retail price for much longer.

That's why they are not so keen to cut the wii u price as they did with the 3DS. The fact that it is already being sold at a lost probably aids this decision but it seems that every fool knows software sells consoles apart from Nintendo.

How often does a wise man fall into the same trap?

I cannot recall MS or Sony using this excuse every two minutes. They probably have but not as frequent as Iwata.

Ah, sorry, I did mistake your point.

I think Nintendo does realize how crucial software is, it simply isn't executing effectively on that knowledge. It does try to court developers, by leaving launch windows open (3DS and seemingly Wii U as well), modifying hardware (Wii U gamepad), and flat-out funding development (Platinum). They just don't appreciate how much of a handicap they have to overcome in the eyes of rival publishers.

On the internal side, they don't seem to be giving their studios enough lead time to know what kind of hardware they'll be developing for. So you end up with delayed up-ports of projects which were started for the previous generation and don't effectively leverage new hardware. Add in the challenges of managing ballooning development teams. The quality software comes, but a year or two late, and after the console has been stigmatized as a failure.

The 3DS is an exception here, as I really do think it was priced out of the market at $250, at least outside of Japan. I think Nintendo could have sold it for $200, but didn't want a repeat of the Wii with three years of sell-outs leaving money on the table. Tactical error.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

gum said:

Scisca said:

«I'm not buying a console just for what it's worth in December 2013. Wii U will be better at that point in time - no question, but will it still be better in December 2014? How about December 2015? 2016? »

Why not? Who is saying otherwise ? What are their arguments? Do they have any crystal balls? Did they predict rightfully that PS3 will lose all its exclusives, that Wii will dominate or 3DS will crush Vita? Everything is possible this gen, WiiU has a lot of assets to have a very significant third parties support and a really bright future. My guess is that nothing is set in stone right now and if you are excluding the possibility than WiiU could still be the best offering for years to come you certainly overlook very important criterias. 

Heres the thing, we can only go by history and history shows that Ninty home consoles dont get the type of support that Sony home consoles had since Sony even came in the game. Doesnt matter if it got crushed in sales or not, and PS3 didnt loose exclusives it lost exclusivity, theres a big difference.