By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata Cites Poor Basic Wii U Sales To Rule Out Price Cut Benefits

So...

Iwata, y u so smart!? 23 14.11%

Iwata, y u so stupid!? 30 18.40%

IsawYoshi for President! 16 9.82%

No, seriously, he's right 42 25.77%

No, seriously, he's wrong 52 31.90%

Total:163
Scisca said:
Quoting isn't working for me :/ Stupid German PC :P

gum said:
Each time Iwata says something I think everyone should shut up, listen and learn because this guy has proven that he understands this industry much better than anyone else.

When I read posts like that I 'm certain that he is right again for not trying to listen to people like you who are just searching for excuses to not purchase a console. Asking for a 200 euros WiiU is ridiculous no matter how you look at it. Just say that you are not interested at all by this console for wathever reason no matter what the price will be. Also PS4 will be at least 100 euros more expansive than WiiU not 50 like you seem to imply.

If he says anything remotely close to insightful or interesting, I listen, but him saying Wii U lacks software really doesn't take my breath away. Also him saying that the price isn't a problem because deluxe sells better than basic is as naive as it can get.

Stop unloading your frustration on me. You don't know me, I'm not searching for any excuses, I'm searching for reasons to buy a Wii U and can't find any. If you took the effort of taking a look at my sig, you'd see I'm not exactly a Nintendo hater or somebody who ignores their consoles "for whatever reason no matter what the price will be". I'm a customer and I'm the one who decides how much a given product is really worth. To me, Wii U isn't worth more than 200 Euro and I'm not going to pay more for it. It's not ridiculous, the brutal reality is that this is pretty much the value of the console for somebody who is just a gamer and not a dedicated Nintendo fan, especially if you're looking forward and considering the competition. Also, that's more than what I've paid for my 320 GB PS3, which has a lot more value. I'd like you to share with me how exactly a 400 Euro console is at least 100 Euro more expensive than a 350 Euro console, cause it's really intriguing.

You seem to equal value with power which is a huge mistake when talking about this market: Wii was sold at a much higher price than it desserved from a technical point of view and still sold amazingly well. Vita nowadays is a very powerful handheld for a small price yet it doesn't sell well at all. This proves that games and only games represent the real value of a system not its components at all. So saying the WiiU is overpriced based on how poweful it is is a pointless opinion and yes I think that Iwata proves again that he knows better than that.

"I'd like you to share with me how exactly a 400 Euro console is at least 100 Euro more expensive than a 350 Euro console, cause it's really intriguing."

The WiiU is 350 with a game while PS4 more certainly will be 400 without any so 450 at best with a game. It's incredible that so many people like you can make such a flawed statement. It's easy to ask for a price drop when you add already 50 euros to the actual price.

Around the Network

Quoting still broken :/

gum:
You seem to equal value with power which is a huge mistake when talking about this market: Wii was sold at a much higher price than it desserved from a technical point of view and still sold amazingly well. Vita nowadays is a very powerful handheld for a small price yet it doesn't sell well at all. So saying the WiiU is overpriced based on how poweful it is is pointless opinion and yes I think that Iwata proves again that he knows better than that.

"I'd like you to share with me how exactly a 400 Euro console is at least 100 Euro more expensive than a 350 Euro console, cause it's really intriguing."

The WiiU is 350 with a game while PS4 more certainly will be 400 without any so 450 at best with a game. It's incredible how many people still think that the PS4 will be only 50 euros more expensive than the WiiU.

No I don't, otherwise I wouldn't say that my PS3 represents higher value than a more powerful Wii U. I know that value doesn't equal power, I own a Wii and DSi, the Wii being my first current gen console and never having bought a PSP. The Wii U is the most powerful console on the market, yet, sadly, it currently has a lower value than a PS3 or X360. Lack of 3rd party support will shortly cause it to have a lower value than PS4 and XO, so Nintendo just can't justify a price nearly on par with a PS4. A console meant only for Nintendo exclusives (that's what a N console is for me) isn't worth more than 200 Euro to me, though 250 would probably be a sensible price for the average customer.

Sony gives me DriveClub for free, so again - 50 Euro.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Quoting still broken :/

gum:
You seem to equal value with power which is a huge mistake when talking about this market: Wii was sold at a much higher price than it desserved from a technical point of view and still sold amazingly well. Vita nowadays is a very powerful handheld for a small price yet it doesn't sell well at all. So saying the WiiU is overpriced based on how poweful it is is pointless opinion and yes I think that Iwata proves again that he knows better than that.

The WiiU is 350 with a game while PS4 more certainly will be 400 without any so 450 at best with a game. It's incredible how many people still think that the PS4 will be only 50 euros more expensive than the WiiU.

No I don't, otherwise I wouldn't say that my PS3 represents higher value than a more powerful Wii U. I know that value doesn't equal power, I own a Wii and DSi, the Wii being my first current gen console and never having bought a PSP. The Wii U is the most powerful console on the market, yet, sadly, it currently has a lower value than a PS3 or X360. Lack of 3rd party support will shortly cause it to have a lower value than PS4 and XO, so Nintendo just can't justify a price nearly on par with a PS4. A console meant only for Nintendo exclusives (that's what a N console is for me) isn't worth more than 200 Euro to me, though 250 would probably be a sensible price for the average customer.

Sony gives me DriveClub for free, so again - 50 Euro.

Isn't Drive Club part of the PS+? If so it's not free at all.

Also you think the WiiU is too expensive at 300 euros but you have no problem with the PS4 at 400? How can you explain that if it is not because you are basing your opinion on power as WiiU will certainly have a much better line up when PS4 launch thanks to its already released games?

Gamerace said:
IF the lack of software is a chronic problem for their hardware then it's long past time Nintendo invested in more studios or focused on only a home or portable system since they are clearly incapable of sufficiently supporting both adequately.

If they know lack of software is going to hinder hardware sales (which then hinders software sales) why don't they actually do something the (expletive) about it? More than a temporary influx of games like WiiU is getting.

They are finally doing it, but it still takes time. Big new building for EAD in Kyoto, from what Google maps can show, but that won't come online until 2014, so fruits from that expansion will not come to bear until the last year or two of the Wii U's lifecycle.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Nintendo has to weigh its two options here.

Unlike 3DS which went from profitable to loss leading upon an $80 price drop, the WiiU, if cut this year, would be going from loss leading to very loss leading with only the benefit of probably a $50 cut.

Or, wait until next year (March or April) to drop the price. This would mean, first, their fiscal year would be safe from heavy losses; second, the console would be profitable by then so they could drop more than just $50; and third, the price drop would coincide with the release of Mario Kart 8.

Seeing as how this holiday they only have competition from PS360 (since the new consoles are likely going to sell out completely no matter what Nintendo does), I suspect that they'll ride the success of their new software plus the holiday season rather than cut this year.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
RolStoppable said:
Gamerace said:
IF the lack of software is a chronic problem for their hardware then it's long past time Nintendo invested in more studios or focused on only a home or portable system since they are clearly incapable of sufficiently supporting both adequately.

If they know lack of software is going to hinder hardware sales (which then hinders software sales) why don't they actually do something the (expletive) about it? More than a temporary influx of games like WiiU is getting.

They did things to do something about it, it's just that those measures have fallen flat, because they always revolve around getting third parties on board. Since the industry keeps shouting that you need third parties to be successful and because Iwata is a nice man, that's what Nintendo has been trying to accomplish. Investing in more first party development capacity would have gone against the narrative, because it's said that first party software hinders third party software sales.

Furthermore, Nintendo has been engaging third party developers as a publisher to get more development on their platform, but has run into problems with the games being mediocre quality (Fatal Frame) or limited appeal outside Japan (Zangeki no Reginlev), sometimes even when the game is a long standing Nintendo IP (Metroid: Other M).

This is a strategy that Nintendo continues to use today with Platinum, but they can't just expand it to infinity. Eventually, even Nintendo runs out of talented game designers to oversee these external projects, and now they're fighting against the rising costs and slowdowns of HD development.

It's not an easy problem to solve, and Nintendo is right to be cautious about growing their development too aggressively.

Y'know I hear all this and I agree to a limited degree.  I also acknowledge Nintendo did buy Monolith and has been working with 2nd parties (but that's nothing new) but on the flip side, they sold Rare (long time ago now) and did not replace that lost productivity.   A LOT of 3rd party developers went under this gen which Nintendo could have snapped up cheap including Factor Five.    Simply put, Nintendo's knew lack of development resources has been an issue for a long time yet continues to do little about it, while they continue to bleed because of it (DS launch drought, GC droughts, Wii droughts, 3DS launch drought issues/price cut, now WiiU HUGE mother of all droughts, 'we didn't know HD was sooo hard' and possible price cut?).

Yes Nintendo is looking to be alive 100 years from now and moves according to that long term plan so they aren't doing EA's stick of buying, raping, killing developers which is great, but what they are doing isn't working too well either.    Some smart purchases would work wonders both short and long term.

Mr Khan said:
Gamerace said:

They are finally doing it, but it still takes time. Big new building for EAD in Kyoto, from what Google maps can show, but that won't come online until 2014, so fruits from that expansion will not come to bear until the last year or two of the Wii U's lifecycle.

That's simply poor planning on their part to be honest. It means really in effect the Wii U will get little/no benefit from that, because by the 4th year of its lifecycle, whatever the system is will be more than set in stone and there's no changing anything.

You need to have software in the formative years of a console so that the system can be defined. It's kinda like high school, lol, after the first two years your image and your group of friends for most people is mostly set, it ain't changing in senior year.

gum:
Isn't Drive Club part of the PS+? If so it's not free at all.

Also you think the WiiU is too expensive at 300 euros but you have no problem with the PS4 at 400? How can you explain that if it is not because you are basing your opinion on power as WiiU will certainly have a much better line up when PS4 launch thanks to its already released games?

It is, but I already have a 2 year sub, so it is free for me :P If you have a PS3, PSV and plan a PS4 PS+ is a no-brainer.

I'm not buying a console just for what it's worth in December 2013. Wii U will be better at that point in time - no question, but will it still be better in December 2014? How about December 2015? 2016? A console isn't a cookie that I'm gonna eat day 1, it's going to stay with me for years and as far as I can tell, PS4 will be gaining value much faster than Wii U and we all know that. A console just for Nintendo games is worth much less for me than a console for Sony games and 3rd party multiplats. I have paid the full launch price for Wii (actually even a bit more, since Nintendo is totally ignoring my country and the consoles were more expensive), but I really loved the concept of motion gaming and was hoping for more "core" games to use them (FPS games especially, Metroid Prime was pure awesomeness). Got kinda burned, but I loved my Wii non the less. It had enough of a value for me to justify the purchase at that price, Wii U isn't even close to doing that and that's why I refuse to pay more or even as much as I've paid for a Wii. 250 was a good price for Wii, it probably is a good price for Wii U as well, but I'd only bite if I found it somewhere for 200. That's what a secondary console for Nintendo exclusives is worth and Wii U will never be capable of satisfying all needs of a gamer. It has to establish itself as the second console you buy on top a PS4 or XO, but that clearly isn't worth as much as the primary device.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

I think the reason the basic model sold so little is because the deluxe model is just $50 more with a free $60 game with upgraded space, a really nice black finish, included wii motion sensor bar which is not on the basic version btw and a few other things...

So I think hes wrong on that part however a price cut alone wouldnt sell too much until there are more games available

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Scisca said:

«I'm not buying a console just for what it's worth in December 2013. Wii U will be better at that point in time - no question, but will it still be better in December 2014? How about December 2015? 2016? »

Why not? Who is saying otherwise ? What are their arguments? Do they have any crystal balls? Did they predict rightfully that PS3 will lose all its exclusives, that Wii will dominate or 3DS will crush Vita? Everything is possible this gen, WiiU has a lot of assets to have a very significant third parties support and a really bright future. My guess is that nothing is set in stone right now and if you are excluding the possibility than WiiU could still be the best offering for years to come you certainly overlook very important criterias. Like you admit it will be the best next gen offering this fall everything else is just assumptions on your part.