By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata Cites Poor Basic Wii U Sales To Rule Out Price Cut Benefits

So...

Iwata, y u so smart!? 23 14.11%

Iwata, y u so stupid!? 30 18.40%

IsawYoshi for President! 16 9.82%

No, seriously, he's right 42 25.77%

No, seriously, he's wrong 52 31.90%

Total:163
RolStoppable said:
Gamerace said:
IF the lack of software is a chronic problem for their hardware then it's long past time Nintendo invested in more studios or focused on only a home or portable system since they are clearly incapable of sufficiently supporting both adequately.

If they know lack of software is going to hinder hardware sales (which then hinders software sales) why don't they actually do something the (expletive) about it? More than a temporary influx of games like WiiU is getting.

They did things to do something about it, it's just that those measures have fallen flat, because they always revolve around getting third parties on board. Since the industry keeps shouting that you need third parties to be successful and because Iwata is a nice man, that's what Nintendo has been trying to accomplish. Investing in more first party development capacity would have gone against the narrative, because it's said that first party software hinders third party software sales.

Furthermore, Nintendo has been engaging third party developers as a publisher to get more development on their platform, but has run into problems with the games being mediocre quality (Fatal Frame) or limited appeal outside Japan (Zangeki no Reginlev), sometimes even when the game is a long standing Nintendo IP (Metroid: Other M).

This is a strategy that Nintendo continues to use today with Platinum, but they can't just expand it to infinity. Eventually, even Nintendo runs out of talented game designers to oversee these external projects, and now they're fighting against the rising costs and slowdowns of HD development.

It's not an easy problem to solve, and Nintendo is right to be cautious about growing their development too aggressively.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

The problem wasn't just that Nintendo didn't have titles, but that what titles they had were the wrong ones. None of the Wii U's software has actually showcased the gamepad or been major blockbusters. 

Compare with the Wii:

• Packaged with Wii Sports to showcase motion gaming.
  • Had WarioWare at launch to showcase motion gaming further.
  • Had Twilight Princess as a LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE.
The Wii's big title was Twilight Princess. The Wii U's big titles were Mario World and Pikmin 3...which got delayed almost a year. There's almost no comparison: Mario and Pikmin are titles people who already have the console will get.
Moral of the story: Zelda sells consoles. Mario and Pikmin does not. 
I look in the future and see X and Zelda Wii U hitting the market around the same time FF XV does....this is going to be one tight generation. I still think the Wii U will do well in two console entertainment centers, but there are some heartbreaking decisions in the pipe come 2014.

Agree and disagree at same time.

1) Clearly the first and foremost issue up to this point has been lack of content that justifies the purchase of the system.

2) Sure people have paid $50 more for the premium because its simply the better value when you consider all that is packed into the premium's box. So yes, people will spend more for a better bundled item and yes $350 isn't a price point that pushes out new console purchasers. (Hell last gen proved that as PX360 have almost always been $300+)

3) However, you have to take a look at total sales too. Even though Premiums has decidedly outsold the basic model, the premium model still isn't selling at a great rate.

I would argue that had WiiU had the first party content like Pikmin3 in January plus some other bigger games that have been hinted and still not arrived like Rayman etc, it likely would have sold quite a bit more than it has now. But, you cannot argue that a $350 WiiU put up against a $400 PS4 is simply a bad idea.

To the average gaming consumer that $50 difference is nothing when all they know is PS4 is more powerful.

Nintendo needs to realize this and along with the great games coming, they need to make that Premium a $300 system with a game and everything else in the box. (They can drop the digital 5% kickback plan)

Doing that BEFORE the competition launches is a must. However, considering they are still selling at a loss AND Iwata's statements from the OP, I think we'll see this price point stick until 2014. Along with that I am more uneasy about my earlier statements regarding WiiU reaching at least 8m by Jan2014.

He is right, 50 dollars make no real diference when you want a system REALLY bad. And wanting comes from knowing that the amazing games exist.
I try to convince myself once a week that I should go buy a WiiU and everytime I think "For what?".
When I had a 360, I did the same with the PS3, and, at the time the answer was "Man, how can you mis Uncharted 1-2, Demon´s Souls, Killzone, Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain and Metal Gear Solid 4?"

But the WiiU line up is still weak.
To me, a SKU with, AT LEAST 250GB HD would also help, because external hard drives with power source cost a fortune in Brazil.

But, he is right, money is not a issue here, if you really want a toy, you work a little more and save a little more to buy it. The thing is that it needs more games.

and of course, the system is too similar in power to the last gen, but this cannot be changed.
I say: the WiiU only real rendemption is dozens of games that really use the gamepad in a unique way, like:
- A Fallout with the P.I.P. on the pad.
- A Wing Commander type of game where essencial ships controls are on the pad, also sounds and stuff.
- More horror games that use the pad as some kind of thing, like a Ghost investigating game.
- A Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy adventure game where the pad is the guide.
- A Batmobile game where the pad activates the gadgets.
- A dungeon RPG where you have to use the pad to draw the labirint and be able to scape
- A Civilization game where the pad is used as a interface, or Simcity.
- I can think of hundreds of ideas like this, and I am just a brazilian idiot. DO SOMETHING NINTENDO.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Scisca said:
It's obvious they need games, but it's equally as obvious they need a big price cut once next gen rolls out on the market. I want a Wii U, but if I'm to pay 350 Euro for a Wii U or 400 Euro for a PS4, it's never gonna happen for me. I'm taking the PS4 and waiting for Wii U to finally gain some value and reach a price a PS3-level console should have at point in time. For me it's around 200 Euro and I refuse to pay more for such an outdated console, if Iwata thinks the price is ok - I hope Wii U remains well under Vita in weekly sales for a long, long time.

Each time Iwata says something I think everyone should shut up, listen and learn because this guy has proven that he understands this industry much better than anyone else.

When I read posts like that I 'm certain that he is right again for not trying to listen to people like you who are just searching for excuses to not purchase a console. Asking for a 200 euros WiiU is ridiculous no matter how you look at it. Just say that you are not interested at all by this console for wathever reason no matter what the price will be. Also PS4 will be at least 100 euros more expansive than WiiU not 50 like you seem to imply.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure he just has his own bankaccount in mind.

gum said:

Each time Iwata says something I think everyone should shut up, listen and learn because this guy has proven that he understands this industry much better than anyone else.

When I read posts like that I 'm certain that he is right again for not trying to listen to people like you who are just searching for excuses to not purchase a console. Asking for a 200 euros WiiU is ridiculous no matter how you look at it. Just say that you are not interested at all by this console for wathever reason no matter what the price will be. Also PS4 will be at least 100 euros more expansive than WiiU not 50 like you seem to imply.

I agree, he has been with Nintendo through hell and high water for so many times, they won the last gen with DS and Wii and have this gen handheld sales LOCKED for a victory.  So, Mr. Iwata is no idiot, he know his stuff.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Incorrect analysis. Current WiiU purchasers see enough value on the system to get the superior model, but some other people (inlcuding myself) might as well think that the basic model is overpriced (and thus the premium).

Actually, both parameters must be corrected if WiiU wants to take off. I needs more games and above all a greater variety of games, but there aren't enough games coming to make consumer value match the current price. So, the price needs to be dropped as soon as games with hardware-moving potential start to appear. Of course, dropping the price in the middle of a software drought is the worst thing to do, since no one will invest any sum when there are no games.

I bought the basic model simply simply because it was $100 cheaper for me on launch due to a special and I couldn't see how a stand, an extra 24GB of memory space and a pack in title i'd never play, would justify the extra cost.

Price always matters. I heard the Walmarts that had basic models for $150CDN ran out of stock damn quickly.

As for the 'main issue', that will be alleviated once DKCR2, Sonic and Mario World come out.

Quoting isn't working for me :/ Stupid German PC :P

gum said:

If he says anything remotely close to insightful or interesting, I listen, but him saying Wii U lacks software really doesn't take my breath away. Also him saying that the price isn't a problem because deluxe sells better than basic is as naive as it can get.

Stop unloading your frustration on me. You don't know me, I'm not searching for any excuses, I'm searching for reasons to buy a Wii U and can't find any. If you took the effort of taking a look at my sig, you'd see I'm not exactly a Nintendo hater or somebody who ignores their consoles "for whatever reason no matter what the price will be". I'm a customer and I'm the one who decides how much a given product is really worth. To me, Wii U isn't worth more than 200 Euro and I'm not going to pay more for it. It's not ridiculous, the brutal reality is that this is pretty much the value of the console for somebody who is just a gamer and not a dedicated Nintendo fan, especially if you're looking forward and considering the competition. Also, that's more than what I've paid for my 320 GB PS3, which has a lot more value. I'd like you to share with me how exactly a 400 Euro console is at least 100 Euro more expensive than a 350 Euro console, cause it's really intriguing.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.