By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2013: Seattle Seahawks win Super Bowl XLVIII

Preseason voting: Who will win the Super Bowl?

Ravens 28 6.14%

Patriots 53 11.62%

Broncos 141 30.92%

Texans 9 1.97%

Other (AFC) 19 4.17%

49ers 32 7.02%

Falcons 5 1.10%

Packers 17 3.73%

Seahawks 101 22.15%

Other (NFC) 47 10.31%

Total:452
theRepublic said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I don't watch football / handegg frequently, but even I can see the performance differences. This is a massacre.

Oh and WTF is wrong with the audience?! Half of the stadium should be singing and jumping already. Very bad atmosphere.

The Super Bowl is played at a neutral site and tickets are extremely expensive, so usually there are not many fans of either team at the game.  A lot of tickets are bought by corporations, so you end up with a lot of people who are not fans of either team.

Same for the UEFA Champions League final in Europe.
Are there any vids of NFL supporters actually sing something? You know, to support their team or make fun of the opponent.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
theRepublic said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I don't watch football / handegg frequently, but even I can see the performance differences. This is a massacre.

Oh and WTF is wrong with the audience?! Half of the stadium should be singing and jumping already. Very bad atmosphere.

The Super Bowl is played at a neutral site and tickets are extremely expensive, so usually there are not many fans of either team at the game.  A lot of tickets are bought by corporations, so you end up with a lot of people who are not fans of either team.

Same for the UEFA Champions League final in Europe.
Are there any vids of NFL supporters actually sing something? You know, to support their team or make fun of the opponent.

No one sings at NFL games.  Instead, the fans of the home team try to make as much noise as possible while the visiting offense is on the field.  They do that to try and disrupt them.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

that superbowl was a borefest. I predicted who was going to win,but I didn't think it was going to be a blow-out.

Zelhawks37 said:
I am fucking speechless. After so much time.......

Congrats man, I picked the Broncos to win by 7. Hope to see you in the SB again next year!

What a goddamn beatdown. I didn't watch all of it but it was painful to watch nonetheless.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

DevilRising 8 hours ago

"No one can claim the refs helped the Seahawks, or that somehow the Broncos got "screwed". Nope. They just didn't come to play, and Seattle REALLY came to play. The Broncos were pretty horrible in all three phases of the game, and it showed. "

While I do agree that the Broncos got out-played in every possible aspect of the game, I disagree with your view on the officiating. Throughout the first half of the game, the referee's were clearly leaning their calls in favor of Seattle. The ironic thing is, Seattle didn't need their help. The Seahawks were playing well enough that they didn't need to be favored by the officials. Here's a few examples that stand-out in my mind:

Russell Wilson rolls out into heavy pressure and throws the ball into the turf to avoid being sacked. The ball does not cross the line of scrimmage and therefore should be ruled intentional grounding. There was no flag on the play. The explanation from the officials was that "it was close enough". There should not be a "close enough" in officiating. Either it reached the line of scrimmage, or it didn't. And, if it didn't (which it truly did not), then it is intentional grounding and should be flagged as such.

On 3rd and Goal, Wilson has a pass broken up, which should lead to another Field Goal attempt, but Denver is called for pass interference which spots the ball at 1st and Goal from the 1 yard line, virtually assuring a Seattle TD, which in fact is what happened. I do not argue the call, as the receiver was in fact interfered with. The only reason I bring it up is because of my next example.

On a later Denver drive, Manning throws incomplete on a long pass down field to a receiver (don't remember if it was Decker or Thomas) that has a Seattle DB draped all over him. No flag. Even the announcer's commented, "I can't believe that isn't being called for pass interference". Which is why I mentioned Seattle getting the interference call on their drive. Why doesn't Denver get the same call when they are on the receiving end?

My point is that if the referee's are going to have a "let them play" mentality, then it should extend both ways. All that did was effect the flow of the game, making it more lopsided than it needed to be, which killed the game from a spectator standpoint (unless you're a Seahawks fans, of course). I'm not a fan of either team, so I didn't have anything invested in it one way or the other, but as someone who enjoys watching a good football game, this Super Bowl was not enjoyable at all. Just know that I don't make any claims that Denver got screwed. They played extremely sloppy football with only themselves to blame and were dominated in all phases. I just had the impression during the game that the officiating was one-sided when it really didn't need to be.

Mandalore76 said:
DevilRising 8 hours ago

"No one can claim the refs helped the Seahawks, or that somehow the Broncos got "screwed". Nope. They just didn't come to play, and Seattle REALLY came to play. The Broncos were pretty horrible in all three phases of the game, and it showed. "

While I do agree that the Broncos got out-played in every possible aspect of the game, I disagree with your view on the officiating. Throughout the first half of the game, the referee's were clearly leaning their calls in favor of Seattle. The ironic thing is, Seattle didn't need their help. The Seahawks were playing well enough that they didn't need to be favored by the officials. Here's a few examples that stand-out in my mind:

Russell Wilson rolls out into heavy pressure and throws the ball into the turf to avoid being sacked. The ball does not cross the line of scrimmage and therefore should be ruled intentional grounding. There was no flag on the play. The explanation from the officials was that "it was close enough". There should not be a "close enough" in officiating. Either it reached the line of scrimmage, or it didn't. And, if it didn't (which it truly did not), then it is intentional grounding and should be flagged as such.

On 3rd and Goal, Wilson has a pass broken up, which should lead to another Field Goal attempt, but Denver is called for pass interference which spots the ball at 1st and Goal from the 1 yard line, virtually assuring a Seattle TD, which in fact is what happened. I do not argue the call, as the receiver was in fact interfered with. The only reason I bring it up is because of my next example.

On a later Denver drive, Manning throws incomplete on a long pass down field to a receiver (don't remember if it was Decker or Thomas) that has a Seattle DB draped all over him. No flag. Even the announcer's commented, "I can't believe that isn't being called for pass interference". Which is why I mentioned Seattle getting the interference call on their drive. Why doesn't Denver get the same call when they are on the receiving end?

My point is that if the referee's are going to have a "let them play" mentality, then it should extend both ways. All that did was effect the flow of the game, making it more lopsided than it needed to be, which killed the game from a spectator standpoint (unless you're a Seahawks fans, of course). I'm not a fan of either team, so I didn't have anything invested in it one way or the other, but as someone who enjoys watching a good football game, this Super Bowl was not enjoyable at all. Just know that I don't make any claims that Denver got screwed. They played extremely sloppy football with only themselves to blame and were dominated in all phases. I just had the impression during the game that the officiating was one-sided when it really didn't need to be.

You got it wrong. It was not intentional grounding because there was an eligible receiver close to the ball. It wasn't because the ball was "close enough" to the line of scrimmage, it was a no call because there was a receiver close by (I forget who the receiver was).

The pass interference on Earl Thomas should've been called. However, it was balanced because the refs didn't call an offensive pass interference on one of the Bronco's receivers (I forget who) for shoving Sherman away at an endzone attempt. That was another play the announcers agreed should've been called. This game was well officiated and probably the best officiated game I've seen in a Super Bowl.

Probably won't believe me...

But Seahawks are who I picked to win in preseason. I actually thought they should've won last year, but SF got the best of them.

As most others will agree (or have already)... worst SB game ever. So boring, even the commercials.

burninmylight said:
Zelhawks37 said:
I am fucking speechless. After so much time.......

Congrats man, I picked the Broncos to win by 7. Hope to see you in the SB again next year!

Thanks and agreed! WInning the league was only the dessert after this SB win.... Damn it feels good. :)

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

well done seattle,they smashed them up and zelhawk for winning although you didn't pick your team in teh super bowl

Above & Beyond