By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Building a better genesis collection

Burning Typhoon said:
Michael-5 said:

I agree with the bold

I just never played that many Genesis games at the time, and my backlog is pretty full with SNES/PS1/PS2 games. I'm actually working on completing my SNES/PS1/PS2 collection, if you look at "My Games" I own everything there, 98% of the games Complete with box and everything. There are still about 50 games I really want to get, mostly from 5th gen systems, and then I'll have a collection reflective of my tastes.

Actually I made a deal with myself. I can buy any retro game I want, as long as I buy it with the profits I make selling games I find at garage sales. Made over $800 over 4 saturdays, and I bought quite a lot recently with it.

I'm just not interested in too much on the Genesis, or at least I don't know what I'd like. Ultimate Collection is a good starting place for me, I'll buy any game I like, but not until I get those 50 or so SNES/Saturn/PS1/N64/PS2 games, and only with my garage sale profits.

My PS2 collection was stolen years ago.  My sega genesis used to be at my grandmothers house, and I played it there when I was for a visit.  So, it was completely safe.  She's passed now, so my genesis is with me for like it was waaay back in the early '90s.  I always did update my home collection.  When '94 came around I upgraded to saturn and left my genesis over to my grandparents.

I don't know if it's a downside or not, yet, but, due to what I did with my genesis, every time I power it up, I remember them.  Don't feel bad or anything like that, though, everyone passes and moves on eventually.

Anyway, with my PS2 collection of 47 games, I cannot remember the games I owned.  I replaced about 5 of them, recovered another 5 and bought a new game I didn't previously own.  Xenosaga.  Which is the only PS2 game I've completed after my collection was stolen.  Honestly, ever since that happened, I've lost my spark for PS2 game.  I don't enjoy them, and can't sit through them anymore. 

But, I took my time with Xenosaga, I probably didn't beat it until last year.

I love my genesis, though  I have lots of good games, and still more to get.  I don't have any "batman: forevers" in my wishlist, lol.  I just want to experience things I missed out on growing up.  And, no joke, I'll be able to wait for PS4 while i play my genesis and new games.   I don't have it reserved, so I'm going to wait a while.

Ooo that sucks! I'm just about done building my PS2 collection.

I get how you feel about your Genesis though, I'm the same way about Nintendo in general and the N64, except I sold a bunch of my better games (Paper Mario and Goemon's Great Adventure!) when I was still young at a garage sale. For the most part my Nintendo collections are complete, except for a couple games I still have to buy on N64, some SNES JRPG's/Platformers I missed when I was younger, and a Galaxy 2 for Wii.

I want a Saturn, I hear Panzer Dragoon Saga is amazing (but short). Honestly, 5th gen games, I have so much to catch up on.

I'm also holding off on PS4/Wii U like you. However for me, I just really want to beat all my 360/Wii games first. I never owned a 1st gen Sony which worked over 5 years, so I'm holding off until they make a slim for reliability concerns. I don't have much left to beat on Wii/360, and I'll get a PS4 before I finish all my PS3 games. I'm going to be playing retro games like you. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue is high on my list because I hear Sega CD games are prone to disk rot, and after that I'm working on SNES/GBA JRPG's which I missed. Same era as you.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

NHL 95. Glad you have Rocket Knight on there, amazing game. I remember my cousin traded some guy 6 tennis balls for it. Best deal ever!

X-men for genesis, all of them, suck balls. Some of the worst games made. X-men 2 might be playable, but the copy I had didn't work and we could never get past the second stage (You could never make it back to the emergency exit in the copy we had.)

Micromachines 2, Shinobi III, Dynamite Headdy. If you're into beat'em ups Golden Axe games are a classic and worth trying. And maybe Contra: Hard Corps.

darkknightkryta said:
NHL 95. Glad you have Rocket Knight on there, amazing game. I remember my cousin traded some guy 6 tennis balls for it. Best deal ever!

X-men for genesis, all of them, suck balls. Some of the worst games made. X-men 2 might be playable, but the copy I had didn't work and we could never get past the second stage (You could never make it back to the emergency exit in the copy we had.)

I have specifically played x-men over the years, with my cousin.  He owned the game, and I think it's pretty good and challenging.  I like how every time you turn it on, the x-men logo has a random color.  I don't know if he still has the game anymore.  But, it's not bad.  I used to get very far.

My main Genesis, (the one I play on most) reset button is broken, and I'm sure I need to reset the game at some point when the game tells me.  So, I'll just have to remember to play it on my other genesis.  I plan to get a 3rd just for the hell of it.

I'm actualy not getting X-Men 2.  I've heard too much bad stuff about it.  This is actually coming from someone who enjoys Cliffhanger.  I did a run on youtube of me going through the 1st 4 stages without taking a single hit.

Most people say the game is too hard, but, I don't think so.  Challenging, yes, but I've played more difficult (and worse) games.

Player2 said:

Micromachines 2, Shinobi III, Dynamite Headdy. If you're into beat'em ups Golden Axe games are a classic and worth trying. And maybe Contra: Hard Corps.

I have hard corps uprising on PS3. So, I figured I wouldn't actually need Contra: Hard Corps.  Not interested in Golden Axe, nor Altered Beast.  I use to confuse them for the same game when I was little and after playing them recently with a friend on PS3, didn't like either of them at all.

And, micromachines was a game we rented years ago...  once...  I want every game I ever played on genesis (that's worth having, no BS) and that's why micromachines is there.  I'll check out 2.  As for Shinobi 3...  I don't know about that one, and I've already added dynamite headdy to my list, though, the one in the OP might not be updated.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
Player2 said:

I have hard corps uprising on PS3. So, I figured I wouldn't actually need Contra: Hard Corps.  Not interested in Golden Axe, nor Altered Beast.  I use to confuse them for the same game when I was little and after playing them recently with a friend on PS3, didn't like either of them at all.

And, micromachines was a game we rented years ago...  once...  I want every game I ever played on genesis (that's worth having, no BS) and that's why micromachines is there.  I'll check out 2.  As for Shinobi 3...  I don't know about that one, and I've already added dynamite headdy to my list, though, the one in the OP might not be updated.

4 player multiplayer alone makes Micromachines 2 way better than 1. No multitap is needed because the cartridge comes with two extra built-in controller ports. It has more tracks and modes as well.

Shinobi III is a faster game than Revenge, because Musashi has running and several other new moves. It's also easier (and less frustrating).

Burning Typhoon said:
snyps said:

i believe the game you're trying to find is super offroad

YES!  That's it!

Ah, I was going to say it. ;)

I second that Streets of Rage 3 is fantastic, just not quite as AMAZINGLY fantastic as Streets of Rage 2 is.

Just count you're lucky stars that it's the Genesis version and not the Megadrive version that you require, the MD version still costs quite a pretty penny.

Ah, really? About XMen 2, I'm really surprised that a poster here and the topic creator aren't fans of it. I purchased it at a Pawn Shop(like I did with so many other Genesis games) and was pleasantly surprised how smooth and relevant the game played by today's standards. The first XMen game was pretty difficult, but it wasn't "unplayable" by any stretch of the imagination. Using Nightcrawler's teleportation move to create your own shortcuts in some of the tougher levels was a big highlight for me.

With that out of the way though, I'll have to name my favorite Genesis games besides XMen II, assuming you need more ideas to add to your collection or if they haven't been mentioned yet. : )

Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter
Shadow Dancer: Shinobi
Shinobi III
Vectorman 2
Road Rash III
Super Hang-On
Contra: Hard Corps
Toejam & Earl I and II
The Haunting
Shining Force

And finally, the only Genesis game I'm on the hunt for is Guantlet IV. I've been looking for more classic games that are highly replayable and with multiplayer, and this one just happens to support a multitap for up to 4 people.

Burning Typhoon said:
darkknightkryta said:

I have specifically played x-men over the years, with my cousin.  He owned the game, and I think it's pretty good and challenging.  I like how every time you turn it on, the x-men logo has a random color.  I don't know if he still has the game anymore.  But, it's not bad.  I used to get very far.

My main Genesis, (the one I play on most) reset button is broken, and I'm sure I need to reset the game at some point when the game tells me.  So, I'll just have to remember to play it on my other genesis.  I plan to get a 3rd just for the hell of it.

I'm actualy not getting X-Men 2.  I've heard too much bad stuff about it.  This is actually coming from someone who enjoys Cliffhanger.  I did a run on youtube of me going through the 1st 4 stages without taking a single hit.

Most people say the game is too hard, but, I don't think so.  Challenging, yes, but I've played more difficult (and worse) games.

My problem with X-men the first was the way they handled health.  If they gave you a full bar after each level I wouldn't really mind it.