By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Building a better genesis collection

darkknightkryta said:
Burning Typhoon said:
darkknightkryta said:
NHL 95. Glad you have Rocket Knight on there, amazing game. I remember my cousin traded some guy 6 tennis balls for it. Best deal ever!

X-men for genesis, all of them, suck balls. Some of the worst games made. X-men 2 might be playable, but the copy I had didn't work and we could never get past the second stage (You could never make it back to the emergency exit in the copy we had.)

I have specifically played x-men over the years, with my cousin.  He owned the game, and I think it's pretty good and challenging.  I like how every time you turn it on, the x-men logo has a random color.  I don't know if he still has the game anymore.  But, it's not bad.  I used to get very far.

My main Genesis, (the one I play on most) reset button is broken, and I'm sure I need to reset the game at some point when the game tells me.  So, I'll just have to remember to play it on my other genesis.  I plan to get a 3rd just for the hell of it.

I'm actualy not getting X-Men 2.  I've heard too much bad stuff about it.  This is actually coming from someone who enjoys Cliffhanger.  I did a run on youtube of me going through the 1st 4 stages without taking a single hit.

Most people say the game is too hard, but, I don't think so.  Challenging, yes, but I've played more difficult (and worse) games.

My problem with X-men the first was the way they handled health.  If they gave you a full bar after each level I wouldn't really mind it. 

Use some of the other x-men.  If I'm not mistaken, at the character select, don't they have spots in that area where you can restore your health?

IceHedge said:
Ah, really? About XMen 2, I'm really surprised that a poster here and the topic creator aren't fans of it. I purchased it at a Pawn Shop(like I did with so many other Genesis games) and was pleasantly surprised how smooth and relevant the game played by today's standards. The first XMen game was pretty difficult, but it wasn't "unplayable" by any stretch of the imagination. Using Nightcrawler's teleportation move to create your own shortcuts in some of the tougher levels was a big highlight for me.

With that out of the way though, I'll have to name my favorite Genesis games besides XMen II, assuming you need more ideas to add to your collection or if they haven't been mentioned yet. : )

Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter
Shadow Dancer: Shinobi
Shinobi III
Vectorman 2
Road Rash III
Super Hang-On
Contra: Hard Corps
Toejam & Earl I and II
The Haunting
Shining Force

And finally, the only Genesis game I'm on the hunt for is Guantlet IV. I've been looking for more classic games that are highly replayable and with multiplayer, and this one just happens to support a multitap for up to 4 people.

A few of the games are already on my list.  I'm not sure if I want Road Rash III.  I think I put it on my list, since that's another rented game, but, I dont know how I feel about the video-recorded graphics.  I like the way Road Rash II was done more.  I also heard vector man 2 was short and that put me off from getting that game.

One of my oldest sega genesis memories is watching my brother play super hang-on.  I bet he has no idea I even remember watching him play it. (I was super young)

As for X-Men 2, I think I'll be okay with the 1st game.

Ronster316 said:
I second that Streets of Rage 3 is fantastic, just not quite as AMAZINGLY fantastic as Streets of Rage 2 is.

Just count you're lucky stars that it's the Genesis version and not the Megadrive version that you require, the MD version still costs quite a pretty penny.

If you can't convince me that streets of rage 3 is better than 2, I'm not budging on my decision.

Player2 said:

4 player multiplayer alone makes Micromachines 2 way better than 1. No multitap is needed because the cartridge comes with two extra built-in controller ports. It has more tracks and modes as well.

Shinobi III is a faster game than Revenge, because Musashi has running and several other new moves. It's also easier (and less frustrating).

I'm still getting micromachines 1.  I remember seeing my brother and cousin playing it at our grandparent's house.  It was a just a rental though.  I couldn't have been older than 4 years old, I'm surprised I'm able to remember just about every genesis game we'd rented.  I also looked on e-bay for micromachines 2 and didn't see it.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
darkknightkryta said:
Burning Typhoon said:
darkknightkryta said:
NHL 95. Glad you have Rocket Knight on there, amazing game. I remember my cousin traded some guy 6 tennis balls for it. Best deal ever!

X-men for genesis, all of them, suck balls. Some of the worst games made. X-men 2 might be playable, but the copy I had didn't work and we could never get past the second stage (You could never make it back to the emergency exit in the copy we had.)

I have specifically played x-men over the years, with my cousin.  He owned the game, and I think it's pretty good and challenging.  I like how every time you turn it on, the x-men logo has a random color.  I don't know if he still has the game anymore.  But, it's not bad.  I used to get very far.

My main Genesis, (the one I play on most) reset button is broken, and I'm sure I need to reset the game at some point when the game tells me.  So, I'll just have to remember to play it on my other genesis.  I plan to get a 3rd just for the hell of it.

I'm actualy not getting X-Men 2.  I've heard too much bad stuff about it.  This is actually coming from someone who enjoys Cliffhanger.  I did a run on youtube of me going through the 1st 4 stages without taking a single hit.

Most people say the game is too hard, but, I don't think so.  Challenging, yes, but I've played more difficult (and worse) games.

My problem with X-men the first was the way they handled health.  If they gave you a full bar after each level I wouldn't really mind it. 

Use some of the other x-men.  If I'm not mistaken, at the character select, don't they have spots in that area where you can restore your health?

They gave you a few health orbs but it was never enough for a full bar, gave you back about half, and that was only for one character :/.

You can use more X-men, but they'd be close to death within a stage.

General Chaos, Road Rash, Desert Strike (yea I used to like EA...).

Funny seeing Tommy Lasorda Baseball.  One of the first games I had on the Genesis.  It was actually a pretty fun baseball game.

Two words: Elemental Master! That game is awesome and the soundtrack is nothing short of totally sick. Can't believe it took 3 years to get to the west.

farlaff said:
Two words: Elemental Master! That game is awesome and the soundtrack is nothing short of totally sick. Can't believe it took 3 years to get to the west.

That's 24 words over your limit.  And, sorry, that type of gameplay would get boring to me after the 1st 45 seconds  All you seem to do is hold down a shoot button and memorize the level placement.

No thanks.

HOWEVER.  In other news.  World of Illusion has arrived in the mail today.  So, now, my collection is a weird number with 36 games... until tom and jerry gets here tomorrow in which it will be 37! only about 40 more to go.... lol.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
farlaff said:

That's 24 words over your limit.  And, sorry, that type of gameplay would get boring to me after the 1st 45 seconds  All you seem to do is hold down a shoot button and memorize the level placement.

Don't know if this was humorous or grumpy. I'll take it as humorous since it made me laugh. But you know the sentence ended at the exclamation mark, don't you?

Anyway, to each its own, but besides human multiplayer gaming (and even that at some level) isn't a lot of the whole gaming experience a matter of memorizing placements and patterns?

And since all I want is to help, don't remember any mention to Strider.

farlaff said:
Burning Typhoon said:
farlaff said:

Don't know if this was humorous or grumpy. I'll take it as humorous since it made me laugh. But you know the sentence ended at the exclamation mark, don't you?

Anyway, to each its own, but besides human multiplayer gaming (and even that at some level) isn't a lot of the whole gaming experience a matter of memorizing placements and patterns?

And since all I want is to help, don't remember any mention to Strider.

That's because I'm getting the update on PS4, or something.  The original strider game really isn't appealing to me.  If I want to play strider, I'll  start up Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and pair him up with Ruby Heart and Dr. Doom or blackheart. 

And, I get it, but, the non-stop shooting..  I need something more than that.  I just don't see myself playing a scrolling shooter for very long when there's flash games that probably do it even better.  Gunstar heroes is fine, but, not that game.  Can't do it... Not to mention, there's a lot of black in those stages, it didn't age well.

Burning Typhoon said:

Okay, so here's what I've decided to do.  Take my current collection of Sega Genesis games, and add to it, every good genesis game I've ever played.  Ever.  But, I'll need some help.  There's one game in particular that I cannot remember the name of.  I'll like it if you make suggestions, but, please don't suggest games already in my collection or on my wishlist.

But, before all of that, there's one game in particular that I remember playing over a cousin's house.  I can't remember the name of it.  Basically, it was a racing game.  Monster trucks, and the entire track could be viewed on one screen.  I can't remember much, but, if someone can name this game for me, I'll know it when I see it.  Solved.

Next thing is my actual collection which consists of:

Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's mean bean machine
Road Rash
Road Rash II
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Shaq-Fu
Power Rangers
Spiderman & Venom: Maximum Carnage
Spiderman & Venom: Separation Anxiety
Cliffhanger
Boogerman
Beavis and Butthead
Tommy Lasorda Baseball
Battletech
Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II
Streets of Rage 2
Joe Montana Football
King of the Monsters 2
Quack Shot: Starring Donald Duck
Toy Story
NCAA: Final Four Basketball
Ren & Stimpy in Stimpy's Invention
Combat Cars
Vectorman
Batman: Forever
FIFA international Soccer
Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball

Coming in the mail are:

Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics
World of Illusion: Starring Mickey and Donald

Finally, the wish list so far:

Ranger X
Super Hang-On
Outrun
Outrunners
Aladdin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Gunstar Heroes
General Chaos
Mega Bomberman
X-Men
Ristar
Battletoads & Double Dragon: The ultimate Team
Troy Aikman Football
Rolling Thunder 3
Batman & robin
Mutant League Football
Robocop Vs. The Terminator
Revenge of Shinobi
Micromachines
Beyond Oasis
Thunder Force IV
Rocket Knight Adventures
Shadow dancer: The secret of Shinobi
Super Off road
Ecco the dolphin
Alien Soldier
Phantasy Star IV
Pulseman

Now, here's the thing.  Games like earthworm Jim, I have the remake for, so I see no need to get the same game again on genesis.  Same goes for castle of illusion.  I will get it on PS3.  A quarter of the games I'd played at some point in time, or watched someone play.  The others are games I think looked nice on youtube. 

I remember way back watching my brother play super hang-on back in the day in our room.  I was too young to play back then and couldn't have been much more than 2 at the time, and that's why that's on the list.  I know it's similar to outrun, but, whatever.

Finally, I do not want toejam and earl.  The name just puts me off...  While we're at it, I'm not much interested in comix zone either unless you can convince me to get it.

The grand total brings us to 58 games.  I'm willing to cap my collection off at 65.  What do you guys suggest?

Goodness, I thought I was happy with my collection, but, I'm going to almost double it after I get everything.

How the hell is shining force 1 and 2 not on your list? 

Burning Typhoon said:
snyps said:

i believe the game you're trying to find is super offroad

YES!  That's it!

yea that's the game that's been my profile picture for the last 5 years.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
Burning Typhoon said:
snyps said:

i believe the game you're trying to find is super offroad

YES!  That's it!

yea that's the game that's been my profile picture for the last 5 years.

Used to love playing the game in the arcade.  I also enjoyed the indy car version (Super Sprint).  I always thought it the arcade units were cool looking with 3 wheels sticking out of the unit.