By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish gets butthurt.. cancels FEZ II - Update: Leaves games industry

FTW

Team Beer 240 65.04%

Team Fish 126 34.15%

Total:366

Added a poll for the important research and understanding of the lulz

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

he must be delightful to work with.

I love how both of their last names ends on something to eat/drink.
Phis is a prick and those words were the correct adjectives for him, if he wants to quit, I would gladly like that statement when he does.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

DirtyP2002 said:

I made this comment on N4G two days ago:

It is time for indie devleopers to be quite once for all.
Let's face it, 98% of indie games are trash. They don't deserve the slightest attention, let alone a pricetag above "free".

Somehow these nerds became so freaking vocal over the past years. It was MS with XBLA that gave them the chance to be on consoles. I loved the split between XBLA and XBLIG. The user knew right from the start where the potential really is. XBLA offered some cool experiences that got the attention they deserved. (State of Decay is awesome, go and buy it now!)

But something like 10 releases over a generation that almost took a decade to end, there is not much the indies brought up that was worth my time. Limbo, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trials,  Castle Crashers, Journey, Minecraft and yeah... that was it. Maybe I forgot one or two titles though.

Suddenly these indie "designers" (not even developers! I am looking at you Jonathan Blow) come up and want to have influence on the hardware design of the console. Who do they think they are? Their best selling games sell somewhere in the 200k - 500k region for $10 and those are celebrated like oh so successful titles. On the other hand retail releases selling 800k for $60 are called out for lackluster sales.

Jonathan Blow made one (in numbers: 1) game. Braid. And that was 5 years ago. Since then he talked so much nonsense about stuff he has no clue about. And that is just one example.

Look Phil Fish (The FEZ-guy) saying "your games suck" to Japanese developers. This guy is just embarrissing.

And those guys want to have an influence for a hardware that costs Sony and MS BILLIONS in R&D? They are living in an ecosystem Microsoft and Sony created ffs. They should be THANKFUL to release their games on these platforms.

IF you believe in your game, you should not worry that it won't stick out of the masses of indie games. It is a competitive market for everyone in this industry. Mobile developers, indie developers, major AAA developers, console manufacturers - why should indie games get another treatment?

I could go on and on, but I got to work.

Good comment.  I also want to add that Braid and FEZ are not even the top sellers for  XBLA/PSN.  I know Braid and FEZ sold well on XBLA but not nearly as well as games such as Castle Crashers, Trials, State of Decay, Limbo, and Minecraft.  Those developers dont go around criticizing companies and other developers either and they made more successful title in the same market.

Though I will say i did enjoy Braid.  But not in my top indie games either.

Wait, hold on. This Marcus Beer sounds like complete garbage, yet the article somehow seems to skip over that. Why is the guy who started the childish insults presented in a good light? Why do we reward people like that, who basically make a living by acting like pretentious idiots? I'm really confused by this. Does gaming really need its own Rush Limbaugh?

Around the Network

Oh yea he did say japanese games sucked a few months ago I wonder if they asked for apology like he the one he wants from Marcus Beer would he of given it. My guess is no.

pokoko said:
Wait, hold on. This Marcus Beer sounds like complete garbage, yet the article somehow seems to skip over that. Why is the guy who started the childish insults presented in a good light? Why do we reward people like that, who basically make a living by acting like pretentious idiots? I'm really confused by this. Does gaming really need its own Rush Limbaugh?

Apparently, people agree with this man because "Phil deserves it".

pokoko said:

I dont think people are painting Beer as the good guy.  they both made themselves look like fools, but I think people are agreeing with Beer for saying things they already thought about Phil but haven't said it.

DirtyP2002 said:

I made this comment on N4G two days ago:

It is time for indie devleopers to be quite once for all.
Let's face it, 98% of indie games are trash. They don't deserve the slightest attention, let alone a pricetag above "free".

Somehow these nerds became so freaking vocal over the past years. It was MS with XBLA that gave them the chance to be on consoles. I loved the split between XBLA and XBLIG. The user knew right from the start where the potential really is. XBLA offered some cool experiences that got the attention they deserved. (State of Decay is awesome, go and buy it now!)

But something like 10 releases over a generation that almost took a decade to end, there is not much the indies brought up that was worth my time. Limbo, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trials, Castle Crashers, Journey, Minecraft and yeah... that was it. Maybe I forgot one or two titles though.

Suddenly these indie "designers" (not even developers! I am looking at you Jonathan Blow) come up and want to have influence on the hardware design of the console. Who do they think they are? Their best selling games sell somewhere in the 200k - 500k region for $10 and those are celebrated like oh so successful titles. On the other hand retail releases selling 800k for $60 are called out for lackluster sales.

Jonathan Blow made one (in numbers: 1) game. Braid. And that was 5 years ago. Since then he talked so much nonsense about stuff he has no clue about. And that is just one example.

Look Phil Fish (The FEZ-guy) saying "your games suck" to Japanese developers. This guy is just embarrissing.

And those guys want to have an influence for a hardware that costs Sony and MS BILLIONS in R&D? They are living in an ecosystem Microsoft and Sony created ffs. They should be THANKFUL to release their games on these platforms.

IF you believe in your game, you should not worry that it won't stick out of the masses of indie games. It is a competitive market for everyone in this industry. Mobile developers, indie developers, major AAA developers, console manufacturers - why should indie games get another treatment?

I could go on and on, but I got to work.

Well said.

You missed World of Goo, Flower, the Unfinished Swan, and Terraria, btw

Watch Indie Game, that is all you need to understand this. Phil Phish is just a very troubled individual, with some very childish ways to face life.

Fez 2 is cancelled? Bad news only for Phil Phish.
My advice: Take the money you got from Fez and open a bar or something, or come to a very cheap country like Brazil and live the rest of your life on the beach.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.