By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish gets butthurt.. cancels FEZ II - Update: Leaves games industry

FTW

Team Beer 240 65.04%

Team Fish 126 34.15%

Total:366

So I read the tweets ... dafook? o_O

Anyway I voted fish since beer has gluten in it and I am alergic to it. Plus, some fish are a good source of omega 3.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
RenCutypoison said:
BasilZero said:

Ahh he'll be back. $$$$ always brings back these types of people.

Wich $$$ ?

Fez only sold 100 000 copies before steam sales and took five years to make.

He didn't get that much money.

Wat? 5 years to make this?

Whats with indies these days, first a game that takes 5GB and now one that takes 5 years to make. Damn lol.

I believe the previous comment is wrong.  FEZ sold 200,000 on XBLA based off of Barozi's thread.  Dont know how much it sold on Steam.

Wright said:
Adinnieken said:
Wright said:

Perhaps, but that's no reason for a gaming journalist to come and insult him too just for the insult bandwagon. It is totally unprofessional.

Don't use the term jouirnalist so loosely.  You would honestly be surprised who are really journalists out there are who are just mouth pieces.

As a journalism student myself, I'm afraid to say that nowadays everyone can be considered a "journalist", with enough support. People consider him a journalist, and you just can't argue with people, in general.

As a student of knowledge, logic, and insight, I'm afraid to say that nowadays just about everyone can be considered an "idiot".  That doesn't make them one, does it?

If you want to protect the industry your going into, then stand up for what it actually means to be a journalist.  Don't allow a lower standard for journalist dimish the profession you've endeavored to join.

Xen said:

Well said.

You missed World of Goo, Flower, the Unfinished Swan, and Terraria, btw

No love for Lone Survivor? :(

Adinnieken said:
Wright said:

As a journalism student myself, I'm afraid to say that nowadays everyone can be considered a "journalist", with enough support. People consider him a journalist, and you just can't argue with people, in general.

As a student of knowledge, logic, and insight, I'm afraid to say that nowadays just about everyone can be considered an "idiot".  That doesn't make them one, does it?

If you want to protect the industry your going into, then stand up for what it actually means to be a journalist.  Don't allow a lower standard for journalist dimish the profession you've endeavored to join.

Oh, you should totally see how journalism works in Spain!

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I made this comment on N4G two days ago:

It is time for indie devleopers to be quite once for all.
Let's face it, 98% of indie games are trash. They don't deserve the slightest attention, let alone a pricetag above "free".

Somehow these nerds became so freaking vocal over the past years. It was MS with XBLA that gave them the chance to be on consoles. I loved the split between XBLA and XBLIG. The user knew right from the start where the potential really is. XBLA offered some cool experiences that got the attention they deserved. (State of Decay is awesome, go and buy it now!)

But something like 10 releases over a generation that almost took a decade to end, there is not much the indies brought up that was worth my time. Limbo, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trials,  Castle Crashers, Journey, Minecraft and yeah... that was it. Maybe I forgot one or two titles though.

Suddenly these indie "designers" (not even developers! I am looking at you Jonathan Blow) come up and want to have influence on the hardware design of the console. Who do they think they are? Their best selling games sell somewhere in the 200k - 500k region for $10 and those are celebrated like oh so successful titles. On the other hand retail releases selling 800k for $60 are called out for lackluster sales.

Jonathan Blow made one (in numbers: 1) game. Braid. And that was 5 years ago. Since then he talked so much nonsense about stuff he has no clue about. And that is just one example.

Look Phil Fish (The FEZ-guy) saying "your games suck" to Japanese developers. This guy is just embarrissing.

And those guys want to have an influence for a hardware that costs Sony and MS BILLIONS in R&D? They are living in an ecosystem Microsoft and Sony created ffs. They should be THANKFUL to release their games on these platforms.

IF you believe in your game, you should not worry that it won't stick out of the masses of indie games. It is a competitive market for everyone in this industry. Mobile developers, indie developers, major AAA developers, console manufacturers - why should indie games get another treatment?

I could go on and on, but I got to work.

Good comment.  I also want to add that Braid and FEZ are not even one of the top sellers for  XBLA/PSN.  I know Braid and FEZ sold well on XBLA but not nearly as well as games such as Castle Crashers, Trials, State of Decay, Limbo, and Minecraft.  Those developers dont go around criticizing companies and other developers either and they made more successful title in the same market.

Though I will say i did enjoy Braid.  But not in my top indie games either.

It's not a good comment, it's nothing but a massive generalization.  Ten good releases over a generation?  An opinion, yeah, but one I completely and totally disagree with.  I wouldn't trade Torchlight, AudioSurf, World of Goo, Trine, Deponia, or Machinarium for most of the "AAA" titles out there.  I don't give a rat's ass how much it cost to make, I only care if it's good or not.

Both Beer and Fish are annoying as fuck.

Lets not forget the Phil is a nice person

http://steamcommunity.com/app/224760/discussions/0/828936719094418300/

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Wright said:
Xen said:

Well said.

You missed World of Goo, Flower, the Unfinished Swan, and Terraria, btw

No love for Lone Survivor? :(

No love for something I hear of for the first time.

pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:

Good comment.  I also want to add that Braid and FEZ are not even one of the top sellers for  XBLA/PSN.  I know Braid and FEZ sold well on XBLA but not nearly as well as games such as Castle Crashers, Trials, State of Decay, Limbo, and Minecraft.  Those developers dont go around criticizing companies and other developers either and they made more successful title in the same market.

Though I will say i did enjoy Braid.  But not in my top indie games either.

It's not a good comment, it's nothing but a massive generalization.  Ten good releases over a generation?  An opinion, yeah, but one I completely and totally disagree with.  I wouldn't trade Torchlight, AudioSurf, World of Goo, Trine, Deponia, or Machinarium for most of the "AAA" titles out there.  I don't give a rat's ass how much it cost to make, I only care if it's good or not.

I was more so agreeing with his comments towards Phil.  But for Indie developers to suddenly act like this is childish.  Ive had a lot of fun with indie games this generation but FEZ and Braid are not ground breaking titles is what I am trying to say.  We have had better indie games and far more successful ones at that.  Yet they dont go around with some huge ego critisizing everybody.  

WHile both of them can be considered good or some of the best that doesnt mean they should go around acting like jerks either.

These two indie developers are making indie developers look bad in my opinion.  Espcecially when the majority is not that special in the first place.  We have a select few great ones but how many bad indie games are there?  100s upon 100s?