By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Passes 1 Million Units in Japan in Roughly the same time Frame the PS3 did

CavemanCavan said:
What's "roughly" the same time frame? A month? Week? Two months?

Since launch, about 8 months. Both launched in mid-to-late november, and both reached 1 million the following July.

Basically, the Wii U had a stronger launch, the PS3 had a stronger follow-up. Comparing Nov/Dec sales and Jan/Jul sales, the ratio's about 3:2 for Wii U, and 2:3 for PS3.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
ahhh, glad to see some familiar faces who strangely enough didn´t post in the "Nintendo software dominates Japan article". Glad they are still here !

good lord these types of posts are useless and annoying.  Far too many "Oh a thread on ___ doesn't get the attention a thread on ___ did, how curious" posts these days.  We get it, people post in threads based on their interest.  Real surprising.  

AnthonyW86 said:
The only reason why it made to 1 million in about the same timeframe is because Wii-U hade a much better launch. It sold more in it's first week than the PS3 did in the first five. It outsold the PS3 by a good margin the next two weeks and after that it fell hard. A few weeks later and the PS3 was selling double what Wii-U was selling in the same time frame.

The PS3 was having sub 10k weeks at this point in its life as well.

VGChartz

PS3 had "NO GAMEZ" and a terrible launch price at that point.

I think the Wii U will be fine. Congrats on the sales, Nintendo!

And don't worry, Microsoft/Sony fans. You'll have your chance to be "doomed" soon enough....

Around the Network
errorpwns said:
leo-j said:

Sony has hardly any exclusive third party support. They pratically own the Naughty Dog team.

What? SONY OWNS Naughty Dog, they bought the studio in the PLAYSTATION ONE era.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

milkyjoe said:
AnthonyW86 said:
The only reason why it made to 1 million in about the same timeframe is because Wii-U hade a much better launch. It sold more in it's first week than the PS3 did in the first five. It outsold the PS3 by a good margin the next two weeks and after that it fell hard. A few weeks later and the PS3 was selling double what Wii-U was selling in the same time frame.

A few weeks maybe but from July 2007 it didn't go below 10k a week for the rest of the year. By the end of the year the Wii-U will probably have sold better in Japan than the PS3 did in it's full year and with some big titles releasing next year it will do better aswell. After that though, i think Wii-U will pretty much be done.

Congrats wii u! I doubt it will follow the ps3 to 100+ million but we can at least expect it to outdo the gamecube, in japan.

AnthonyW86 said:
milkyjoe said:
AnthonyW86 said:

A few weeks maybe but from July 2007 it didn't go below 10k a week for the rest of the year. By the end of the year the Wii-U will probably have sold better in Japan than the PS3 did in it's full year and with some big titles releasing next year it will do better aswell. After that though, i think Wii-U will pretty much be done.

>implying Nintendo is just gonna stop announcing games all of a sudden

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Considering they are a Japanese company that number sounds really low.  

Sony is Japanese.