By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U a failure in concept or execution?

So?

Concept 75 11.92%

Execution 199 31.64%

Both 187 29.73%

Neither 167 26.55%

Total:628

So far both, ninty failed to provide it with strong 3rd party support. Then their is its current lack of 1st party software, especially ones that will attract non nintendo fans.

Concept wise, price is too high especially for its specs, then their is the weirdness of mii verse. If it wasn't called the wii-u it would be doing better.

Around the Network

I think naming it the Wii U was a mistake. Some people thought it was still the same console, others still associated the 'Wii' wih a kids' console.

Also, it just kind if seems like it belongs in the seventh generation. I'm not getting the next gen vibe.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

oniyide said:
they didnt do a great job with the concept either, IMHO. A non multi touch device and only one pad can be used per console, I think this is when the eyebrows started to raise.

That goes under execution.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of a device that allows you to surf the web while gaming or access a social network to ask for info or just make comments without having to really leave the game or being able to play certain games without even needing your tv. People literally just don't understand what the purpose of the device is meant to be ( even with posters in this thread many thinking its touch screen controller is meant for iPad type games or it is just a accessory that can be discarded like the Balance board) and that it failing to reach the potential those that do understand it see or desire and all that falls on Nintendo not executing anything in regards to the system properly other then hitting their launch date.

NoirSon said:
oniyide said:
they didnt do a great job with the concept either, IMHO. A non multi touch device and only one pad can be used per console, I think this is when the eyebrows started to raise.

That goes under execution.

yeah i guess your right, they did not execute their concept properly

Zero999 said:
winston000smith said:
I've said it before and will say it again, the concept was wrong from the start.

It may irritate a vocal minority to hear it, but Nintendo tried to ride the gimmickry wave twice while the water of that media sensation has already settled.

IMO innovation should add to the gaming experience without detracting from convenience and ease of use. And without re-directing much needed funds away from power and versatility of hardware towards extravagant, poorly received controller gimmickry.

Many people take Nintendo's recent obsession with innovation for innovation's sake in a very positive light. Unfortunately, I have become a bit more cynical as the years go on. The motivation for the Wii U isn't some great salute to artistic integrity, or some honourable philosophy of gameplay over graphics. It's all about money and speculation. It probably went like this:

Nintendo: "Our last console sold incredibly well, largely due to the publicity generated by the innovative control method, lets do that again"

*Thinks of idea*

Nintendo: "Tablets are popular at the moment, it will generate a lot of publicity if we throw this out early. Get to work on Wii U"
"What shall we throw in it?"
Nintendo: "Oh, any old shit, just get it up to the current standard, maybe a bit higher to give it room to breathe."
"What about third parties, shouldn't we make it easy to program for and power it up a bit to give third parties room to get creative?"
"No, think controller! Make sure the touchscreen looks impressive, emphasize innovation. We are BRAND NINTENDO, fuck everyone else! You just wait, the money will roll in - it will be just like the Wii all over again, don't even change the name - that will be the safest possible bet"...

...*No one's that interested*

Nintendo: "Fuck, what happened!?!? But that worked before! Shit. What are we going to do?".........

........Nintendo: "Yeah, well, so what? We don't even TRY to compete with the others, yeah. We do our OWN thing. Who cares about what third parties are doing? They don't innovate. And you lot don't have Mario so ner ner ner ner ner. You lot are SOOOO MAINSTREAM. I'm taking my ball and going home."

The End.

it has a tradicional controller with a touchscreen, it's a standard generic console without that. but of course many, like you, will simply scream "GIMMICK" about it.

Unfortunately for the big N, many, like me are potential customers. And we will continue to sream gimmick until we're given something less gimmicky.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 3dsXL and love it BUT can we all agree it has done well DESPITE the 3D feature, not because of it?

Does anyone USE the 3D frequently? Were the public underwhelmed by the 3D initially, giving the 3DS a difficult start in life? Was it a selection of quality games that brought 3DS back from the brink?

We will see what happens in the long run, but I would argue that even if innovation is what you're after, the toy tablet is just something you sit there pressing - like a regular pad. Not as different/publicity creating/interesting as waving remote and nunchuck as in original Wii. Quite a small step forward in real terms. 

Too much planning, and you'll never get anything done.

Karl Pilkington.

Around the Network

It's a failure in your face.

darkknightkryta said:
NoirSon said:

I agree they have failed to give compelling reasons for why they have the GamePad on the system. The best thing they have had has been the ability to play games on the GamePad but that in of itself isn't enough as most would attest. 

But I disagree in it being the concept that is the problem. Going off the success of the DS and 3DS, having a second screen with touch capabilities has been shown to work, especially with certain games. The issue with the Wii U has been Nintendo hasn't released any of those types of games on the system, along with really pushed it as they and other developers did the second touch screen when the DS first came out or motion controls with the Wii. They haven't released anything like Brain Training, Nintendogs or Wii Sports to make people take notice and they failed in implementing a working multiplayer that doesn't give two or more parties equal footing because only one GamePad works on one Wii U for most multiplayer games.

The concept is fine, two screens haven't hurt the DS/3DS development in anyway once developers figured ways to implement it into their gameplay or work around it, even Microsoft (LookinGlass) and Sony (VITA intergration) are dabbling in it. The problem is execution and as you put out is that Nintendo has failed to put out software that uses the GamePad in innovative or even unique ways. Even the other new features of the Wii U (Miiverse and Nintendo TVii) that Nintendo was hyping before its release are things that can or will be accessible on their competitors systems and they didn't have them ready at launch.

The concept is fine and for the most part proven successful with other systems to different degrees, Nintendo just botched it in nearly every way when it comes to implementation and presentation to the public.

I'm not saying having a second screen can't be used or innovate gameplay; the problem is that it's got a very small amount of use cases.  But back to the 3DS/DS; I haven't seen too many game make great use of the second screen.  Every DS game I had/have could easily have been made without the second screen and the games would have played identically.  The success of the DS was because of The stylist.  Apple didn't come out with the iphone yet so the stylist interface still had its merrit; plus it was new for gaming.  Cooking mamma, trauma center, Nintendogs; all those gamesmade the DS a success for their stylist based gameplay.  This is also why the Wii was so successful, they took the stylist gameplay and implemented it in console form.  The problem with the Wii U is that it's taking the second screen idea, namely the aspect of the handheld that wasn't useful.  I believe this is the main reason why  the Wii U is struggly as much as it is; in both interest and gameplay ideas.  The usefulness for gaming just isn't there.

This is response is also for Aquietguy. 

The second screen has been used in innovative ways. The point I'm making is that every game doesn't have to. To the point where it feels forced just like all the waggling in the early days of the Wii. Sure most games can be done without the second screen but likewise most games can be done with one analog instead of two.

winston000smith said:

Unfortunately for the big N, many, like me are potential customers. And we will continue to sream gimmick until we're given something less gimmicky.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 3dsXL and love it BUT can we all agree it has done well DESPITE the 3D feature, not because of it?

Does anyone USE the 3D frequently? Were the public underwhelmed by the 3D initially, giving the 3DS a difficult start in life? Was it a selection of quality games that brought 3DS back from the brink?

We will see what happens in the long run, but I would argue that even if innovation is what you're after, the toy tablet is just something you sit there pressing - like a regular pad. Not as different/publicity creating/interesting as waving remote and nunchuck as in original Wii. Quite a small step forward in real terms. 

At first bolded, I do.  If, I'm not walking around with it where my eyes won't be able to stay fixed at the same point of view constantly, I almost always put the 3D slider all the way up to appreciate the depth it gives the graphics.  I've seen people say it only holds value with platformers, but this is not true for me.  I appreciate the visual presentation of the games even more with the 3D slider up.  For example, I just started playing Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Atlus did an incredible job with the 3D on this game specifically after the tacked on 3D element they used for combining demons only in Devil Survivor Overclocked.

I also completely disagree with the second bolded statement.  First of all, to refer to it as "toy tablet" is just being condescending/derogatory for nothing more than the sake of it.  There's other words for it that come to mind, but I digress.  Let's not forget that we're talking about video games here.  Every console's game controller is used for PLAYING video games, and there for a "toy".  There's no reason for using the word toy in front of a system's controller except to be a ..., well you get the point.  Anyway, Lego City Undercover had a number of unique uses for the gamepad that didn't involve sitting there pressing something.  For instance, the use of the Gamepad as the Police Communicator was something that I thought really immersed you into the game in a way that made you feel even more like you were part of the game than if a characters head popped up in the middle of the open world of the game as would have to be the case on any other system.  The same goes for moving health bars and inventory items to the gamepad so that there is no HUD clutter on your television screen.  The argument that it takes you out of the game to have to look at the gamepad screen is ridiculous since it's more realistic than walking around with this info pasted onto your eyeballs over the landscape in front of you.  To me, yes, when something immerses you deeper into a game than previously possible, I would in fact define that as innovation, and more than "just a small step".  And, in my opinion, the gamepad shines far more when it is used for unique in-game features than for just the off-tv play.  While off-tv play is a nice option in certain situations, I don't have a large LED flat screen to play my console as a handheld instead.

oniyide said:
ibrahimman0 said:
WHAT !? For how expensive it is !!?? the thing is fucking 300$ only!

You're looking at it very limited. For what they are selling it is expensive for alot of people. What is it offering over the comp that is that much different and their prices are cheaper. I can buy a PS3 for 30 bucks less and that COMES with a GTA5 and a 500 gig HD. 300 bucks i get the WIi u basic and that gets me...8GB and nothing else. Now can you see how people would consider it expensive? Not to mention that the hardware itself is only a bit more powerful than consoles that have been on the market for years. The basic fairs a BIT better but its almost 100 bucks more than the PS3 i mentioned and it comes with 32GBs (wow) and...NintyLand, which is not GTA

Point is its not so much about price but about value, and people are not seeing the value of Wii u right now.

bolded 1: ps4 and xone are 400 and 500 and you get nothing else.

bolded 2: you'll insist on this lie untill you start believing in it, right?

Aquietguy said:
darkknightkryta said:
NoirSon said:

I agree they have failed to give compelling reasons for why they have the GamePad on the system. The best thing they have had has been the ability to play games on the GamePad but that in of itself isn't enough as most would attest. 

But I disagree in it being the concept that is the problem. Going off the success of the DS and 3DS, having a second screen with touch capabilities has been shown to work, especially with certain games. The issue with the Wii U has been Nintendo hasn't released any of those types of games on the system, along with really pushed it as they and other developers did the second touch screen when the DS first came out or motion controls with the Wii. They haven't released anything like Brain Training, Nintendogs or Wii Sports to make people take notice and they failed in implementing a working multiplayer that doesn't give two or more parties equal footing because only one GamePad works on one Wii U for most multiplayer games.

The concept is fine, two screens haven't hurt the DS/3DS development in anyway once developers figured ways to implement it into their gameplay or work around it, even Microsoft (LookinGlass) and Sony (VITA intergration) are dabbling in it. The problem is execution and as you put out is that Nintendo has failed to put out software that uses the GamePad in innovative or even unique ways. Even the other new features of the Wii U (Miiverse and Nintendo TVii) that Nintendo was hyping before its release are things that can or will be accessible on their competitors systems and they didn't have them ready at launch.

The concept is fine and for the most part proven successful with other systems to different degrees, Nintendo just botched it in nearly every way when it comes to implementation and presentation to the public.

I'm not saying having a second screen can't be used or innovate gameplay; the problem is that it's got a very small amount of use cases.  But back to the 3DS/DS; I haven't seen too many game make great use of the second screen.  Every DS game I had/have could easily have been made without the second screen and the games would have played identically.  The success of the DS was because of The stylist.  Apple didn't come out with the iphone yet so the stylist interface still had its merrit; plus it was new for gaming.  Cooking mamma, trauma center, Nintendogs; all those gamesmade the DS a success for their stylist based gameplay.  This is also why the Wii was so successful, they took the stylist gameplay and implemented it in console form.  The problem with the Wii U is that it's taking the second screen idea, namely the aspect of the handheld that wasn't useful.  I believe this is the main reason why  the Wii U is struggly as much as it is; in both interest and gameplay ideas.  The usefulness for gaming just isn't there.

This is response is also for Aquietguy. 

The second screen has been used in innovative ways. The point I'm making is that every game doesn't have to. To the point where it feels forced just like all the waggling in the early days of the Wii. Sure most games can be done without the second screen but likewise most games can be done with one analog instead of two.

I never said it hasn't, I said not too many games did.  Most games can be done with one analogue stick, the difference is that camera control is piss poor without it.  You can't say the same for the second screen.  I never played Final Fantasy on my DS and thought "Wow, how did I ever select commands without it?".