By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U a failure in concept or execution?

So?

Concept 75 11.92%

Execution 199 31.64%

Both 187 29.73%

Neither 167 26.55%

Total:628

Both, although the concept made it almost impossible to execute. They failed to understand that the market for home consoles has shifted back to a more core gamer world. Sony is the only company this gen that understood that and it's already paying off handsomely.

Hopefully, they can rectify this a little by releasing good, core software.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
ibrahimman0 said:
WHAT !? For how expensive it is !!?? the thing is fucking 300$ only!

You're looking at it very limited. For what they are selling it is expensive for alot of people. What is it offering over the comp that is that much different and their prices are cheaper. I can buy a PS3 for 30 bucks less and that COMES with a GTA5 and a 500 gig HD. 300 bucks i get the WIi u basic and that gets me...8GB and nothing else. Now can you see how people would consider it expensive? Not to mention that the hardware itself is only a bit more powerful than consoles that have been on the market for years. The basic fairs a BIT better but its almost 100 bucks more than the PS3 i mentioned and it comes with 32GBs (wow) and...NintyLand, which is not GTA

Point is its not so much about price but about value, and people are not seeing the value of Wii u right now.

bolded 1: ps4 and xone are 400 and 500 and you get nothing else.

bolded 2: you'll insist on this lie untill you start believing in it, right?

did i mention PS4 or Xbox1? NO i didnt, if you're going to reply stick to what i said and actually refer to the console i mentioned, other wise you have nothing

Its a lie prove me wrong. Show me a game that has released on Wii U that looks MUCH better than what is on systems right now, show me a game released on Wii U that cant be dont on PS360/PC.

Mandalore76 said:
winston000smith said:

Unfortunately for the big N, many, like me are potential customers. And we will continue to sream gimmick until we're given something less gimmicky.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 3dsXL and love it BUT can we all agree it has done well DESPITE the 3D feature, not because of it?

Does anyone USE the 3D frequently? Were the public underwhelmed by the 3D initially, giving the 3DS a difficult start in life? Was it a selection of quality games that brought 3DS back from the brink?

We will see what happens in the long run, but I would argue that even if innovation is what you're after, the toy tablet is just something you sit there pressing - like a regular pad. Not as different/publicity creating/interesting as waving remote and nunchuck as in original Wii. Quite a small step forward in real terms. 

At first bolded, I do.  If, I'm not walking around with it where my eyes won't be able to stay fixed at the same point of view constantly, I almost always put the 3D slider all the way up to appreciate the depth it gives the graphics.  I've seen people say it only holds value with platformers, but this is not true for me.  I appreciate the visual presentation of the games even more with the 3D slider up.  For example, I just started playing Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Atlus did an incredible job with the 3D on this game specifically after the tacked on 3D element they used for combining demons only in Devil Survivor Overclocked.

I also completely disagree with the second bolded statement.  First of all, to refer to it as "toy tablet" is just being condescending/derogatory for nothing more than the sake of it.  There's other words for it that come to mind, but I digress.  Let's not forget that we're talking about video games here.  Every console's game controller is used for PLAYING video games, and there for a "toy".  There's no reason for using the word toy in front of a system's controller except to be a ..., well you get the point.  Anyway, Lego City Undercover had a number of unique uses for the gamepad that didn't involve sitting there pressing something.  For instance, the use of the Gamepad as the Police Communicator was something that I thought really immersed you into the game in a way that made you feel even more like you were part of the game than if a characters head popped up in the middle of the open world of the game as would have to be the case on any other system.  The same goes for moving health bars and inventory items to the gamepad so that there is no HUD clutter on your television screen.  The argument that it takes you out of the game to have to look at the gamepad screen is ridiculous since it's more realistic than walking around with this info pasted onto your eyeballs over the landscape in front of you.  To me, yes, when something immerses you deeper into a game than previously possible, I would in fact define that as innovation, and more than "just a small step".  And, in my opinion, the gamepad shines far more when it is used for unique in-game features than for just the off-tv play.  While off-tv play is a nice option in certain situations, I don't have a large LED flat screen to play my console as a handheld instead.

I'm glad you enjoy frequent use of the 3DS's 3D feature. I can't say that matches my experience or that of most 3DS owners I know (complaints of headaches, distraction and frame rate drops are common) but fair enough.

When I used the term "toy tablet", I intended it more in the name of hyperbole and good humour than offensiveness but I accept this is perhaps unfair, so sorry about that. 

None of the features you've mentioned sound like huge steps in innovation to me, they sound more like nifty little bonuses. Certainly not system-selling innovation. Certainly not enough to make up for a shortfall in power. I have had about 5 evening sessions playing various different games on Wii U and haven't been very impressed. The sad thing is I really want to be impressed with what Nintendo bring out, I've been playing Nintendo for 23 years, I have to be honest though and their current direction worries me.

Too much planning, and you'll never get anything done.

Karl Pilkington.

Personally I think hindsight being what it is they should have gone ahead and released a "Wii HD" in 2010 (alongside DKC Returns) or 2011 (alongside Zelda: SS) in the same way the DSi had better hardware/more RAM than the previous DS units.

But kept the Wii brand separate and focused on casual/motion gaming for an affordable $149.99 or so. More built-in flash memory to take advantage of the growing indie gaming scene and more emphasis on the eShop.

The Wii U concept with the tablet controller should've been morphed into what I call the "New Nintendo Entertainment System" idea. Dump the silly 33 watt power restriction. Console is larger about the size of an NES (go figure). Much more focused on core games.

The tablet controller is sleeker looking and has more functionality as a living room companion/remote control. System is still relatively affordable ($350/$399) but a huge upgrade on the PS3/360. Can scale in cost down to $299.99 by the time the PS4/XB1 launch.

Both!

Execution: Horrible advertising, lack of effort in courting 3rd party titles when it mattered most (Q1/2 and GTA5)

Concept: Gamepad is too costly and not a strong enough gimmick. Alternatively they should have upped the Wii U's power so it was at least comparable to the PS4/X1 and just went for the premium price tag. $399.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Personally I think hindsight being what it is they should have gone ahead and released a "Wii HD" in 2010 (alongside DKC Returns) or 2011 (alongside Zelda: SS) in the same way the DSi had better hardware/more RAM than the previous DS units.

But kept the Wii brand separate and focused on casual/motion gaming for an affordable $149.99 or so. More built-in flash memory to take advantage of the growing indie gaming scene and more emphasis on the eShop.

The Wii U concept with the tablet controller should've been morphed into what I call the "New Nintendo Entertainment System" idea. Dump the silly 33 watt power restriction. Console is larger about the size of an NES (go figure). Much more focused on core games.

The tablet controller is sleeker looking and has more functionality as a living room companion/remote control. System is still relatively affordable ($350/$399) but a huge upgrade on the PS3/360. Can scale in cost down to $299.99 by the time the PS4/XB1 launch.

I like the sound of the NNES. I hope it comes bundled with a standard gamepad pro as well as the tablet. Power sounds about right, price sounds about right. Remote as a living room companion sounds like it would sell well to the 20s/30s age group. Why didn't they do this? 

Too much planning, and you'll never get anything done.

Karl Pilkington.

winston000smith said:
Soundwave said:

I like the sound of the NNES. I hope it comes bundled with a standard gamepad pro as well as the tablet. Power sounds about right, price sounds about right. Remote as a living room companion sounds like it would sell well to the 20s/30s age group. Why didn't they do this? 

I think in hindsight if Nintendo could re-do the last 2-3 years they probably would do exactly that. Not just for the Wii U's sake, but for the Wii as well, they've handled that poor console terribly in its dying years.

A "Wii" console without the Wiimote or motion gaming at its heart was a bad idea to begin with.

Wii should've been retained as a seperate hardware brand/pillar dedicated to motion gaming and casual games.

A "Wii HD" for $99.99 could've sold comfortably for the next 2-3 years IMO, especially if Nintendo opened the doors to a lot of indie downloads and probably pushed Wii LTD sales past 120 million. Ala Game Boy -- Game Boy Color. Wii mini is a piece of crap.

failure in conceptual execution

oniyide said:
Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
ibrahimman0 said:
WHAT !? For how expensive it is !!?? the thing is fucking 300$ only!

You're looking at it very limited. For what they are selling it is expensive for alot of people. What is it offering over the comp that is that much different and their prices are cheaper. I can buy a PS3 for 30 bucks less and that COMES with a GTA5 and a 500 gig HD. 300 bucks i get the WIi u basic and that gets me...8GB and nothing else. Now can you see how people would consider it expensive? Not to mention that the hardware itself is only a bit more powerful than consoles that have been on the market for years. The basic fairs a BIT better but its almost 100 bucks more than the PS3 i mentioned and it comes with 32GBs (wow) and...NintyLand, which is not GTA

Point is its not so much about price but about value, and people are not seeing the value of Wii u right now.

bolded 1: ps4 and xone are 400 and 500 and you get nothing else.

bolded 2: you'll insist on this lie untill you start believing in it, right?

did i mention PS4 or Xbox1? NO i didnt, if you're going to reply stick to what i said and actually refer to the console i mentioned, other wise you have nothing

Its a lie prove me wrong. Show me a game that has released on Wii U that looks MUCH better than what is on systems right now, show me a game released on Wii U that cant be dont on PS360/PC.

pikmin 3, mario 3d world, bayonetta 2, mario kart 8, sonic lost worlds, donkey kong tf...

and I think you meant only ps360, because PC is superior than ps4/xone.

teigaga said:
Both!

Execution: Horrible advertising, lack of effort in courting 3rd party titles when it mattered most (Q1/2 and GTA5)

Concept: Gamepad is too costly and not a strong enough gimmick. Alternatively they should have upped the Wii U's power so it was at least comparable to the PS4/X1 and just went for the premium price tag. $399.

oh god, why?