By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forget 1080p, GET 1440p!

ssj12 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
This is one reason I'm passing up Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Blu-Ray's fine if you've got a PS3, and yes, these movies do look better on 1080p TVs...but you're kidding yourself if you think 1080p will be the best TV resolution in 2 or 3 years.

Then we'll get "enhanced Blu-Rays" or "Blu-Ray 2.0" for the 2000p TVs or a resolution like that...and all the 1080p Blu-Rays won't be as good as they could be.

Meh.

not really 50GB is enough space for 1440p

since Blu-ray can have up to 8 layers, thanks to TDK, it can fit 4k+ resolutions if needed. Blu-ray = win.

Ok, well...then Blu-Ray can continue to adapt, but there will be a ton of existing Blu-Ray discs in 1080p format...it just kinda sucks when movie buffs want to upgrade their library, only to have to re-upgrade their favorite movies into the best possible format yet again. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

1440p? pffft..4320p is the only resolution worthwhile (sarcasm)...

(click to enlarge)

Just keep in mind that with UHD (Ultra High Def or 7680x4320) there are 16 times more pixels on screen than with 1080p.

Also there have been crazy PC gamers playing on 2560x1600 (aka 1600p) for a while now. The of course spend insane amounts of money to play at that resolution but its doable if high resolution is what gets you going =P

To Each Man, Responsibility
halil23 said:
ssj12 said:
Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
fazz said:
1440p... at 15 frames per second at most. Seriously, the PS3 is not THAT powerful.

no it could do it at 30fps stable for PSN titles only... like 10fps unstable for games on Blu-ray (retail)

What is your basis for this assertion?

512MBs of ram isnt enough for much

But with the hard drive built in the PS3, I thiought that would be possible, no?

Quick computer lesson =)

The point of RAM in a computer system is that it is significantly faster than the hard drive. If the CPU or GPU were to have no ram and use the hard drive exclusively we would see a lot slower speeds from computers. The difference in speed is due to moving parts in the hard drive and no moving parts in ram. While the hard drive has to spin up and position the head to read data the ram is essentially limited by the time it takes capacitors to charge and discharge because the logic gates of the capacitor are ruled by the voltage potentials built up between the two plates of a capacitor.

RAM performance measures like CAS is measured in clock cycles which translates to between 1.5 ns and 6 ns depending on the memory used. Hard drive performance is usually measured around the 4-12ms range. The difference of course is more obvious if we convert them back to seconds.

0.0000000015 to 0.000000006 seconds per clock cycle for RAM

0.004 to 0.012 seconds for the HDD.

Note - timing & conversions are all from memory, they are pretty close but if they aren't dead on don't freak on me folks =P

To Each Man, Responsibility

1440p or whatever is absolutely pointless, the human eye has trouble seeing the difference between 720p and 1080p unless its at 50"+, another 360 pixels is going to be impossible to see at all. The power needed to draw those extra pixels (and indeed the same with 720/1080p) would be better used on framerates and high poly modeling.

Ever since MS entered the console scene the whole industry has turned into a tech spec whore. Things like Johnny Chung Lee's ideas with the Wii and a million times more exciting than bumping up resolutions.

What size of HDTV do you need to actually see a difference between 1080P and 1440P? That might be something like a 60" HDTV. Who wants a screen this big in a living room? (besides me). That could be the reason why 1080P is standard. And now they are improving energy reduction with OLED. Instead of pushing the limits of resolution. I assume that difference between 720P and 1080P is noticeable at 40" HDTV's. Otherwise this theory collapses.

Around the Network

this is not the "end" because the majority of ppl with PS3's don't even have TVs that support 1080p so this doesn't matter

maybe this television? http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2007/04/16/Panasonic-TH-103PF9-103in-Plasma-TV/p1

Panasonic TH-103PF9 103in Plasma TV

AuthorJohn Archer
Published16th April 2007
ManufacturerPanasonic
SupplierAV 4 U
Price£39,659.57 (Exc VAT)
as reviewed£46,600.00 (Inc VAT)
Latest PriceClick here
Design & Features
Image Quality
Value
Overall

Everything about the Panasonic TH-103PF9 is massive. Truly, gargantuanly, humungously massive!

For starters, its screen acreage measures in at a frankly terrifying 103in from corner to corner. This makes it not only the biggest TV we’ve ever tested here at TrustedReviews, but also the biggest TV ever sold commercially in the UK. To give you some idea of just how big 103in of TV really is, the 103PF9’s screen will accommodate four 50in TV screens, and still have a few inches spare. Phenomenal.

The screen is as heavy as it is large, too, weighing in at 220kg – an already mighty figure that turns into 350kg if you also use the optional heavy-duty stand.

The next massive thing about this plasma screen is the headache involved in getting it installed in your home. Panasonic uses a professional team of AV installers to deliver 103PF9s, but even so it took well over three hours – including an hour with a special ‘interior’ crane - to get the TV installed. And that’s on the ground floor with a door big enough to take the vast box. Any problems of access to where you want the screen to go could potentially add hours to any install – or even present the very realistic prospect of having to get in builders to knock down or reinforce walls.

The last truly huge thing about the 103PF9 is, inevitably, its price. At £46,600, it’s clearly the sort of product that’s only within reach of the mega-rich – or your average Premiership footballer. Then again, adding £50k to our mortgage might not really hurt that much we guess, especially if you go for an interest only deal…

Realising there’s not really any way to make a 103in screen subtle, Panasonic has kept things simple by just sticking a fairly – though not excessively – chunky frame around it and leaving it at that.

The situation regarding the 103PF9’s connections is ‘fluid’, in that you can pick and choose the connections you want as they’re all available on slot-in modules. Options include, of course, HDMI/DVI, component and PC jacks.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Gawd 1440p. Crazy resolution, I wonder what the difference will be?

Well seing that KZ2 runs in 720p , I dont care ....

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Sqrl said:

1440p? pffft..4320p is the only resolution worthwhile (sarcasm)...

(click to enlarge)

Just keep in mind that with UHD (Ultra High Def or 7680x4320) there are 16 times more pixels on screen than with 1080p.

Also there have been crazy PC gamers playing on 2560x1600 (aka 1600p) for a while now. The of course spend insane amounts of money to play at that resolution but its doable if high resolution is what gets you going =P

I want UHD now :)

But first, I preffer they start emiting in HD here

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"