By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forget 1080p, GET 1440p!

Also anyone thinks that 1080p cant be achieved through component is wrong. hdmi means digital from output to source. Also true hd sound. I use comps on 360 and get 1080p. Difference is not noticeable.

Around the Network
davygee said:
fazz said:
1440p... at 15 frames per second at most. Seriously, the PS3 is not THAT powerful.

Well seeing that Super Stardust HD runs at 1080p60fps and Wardevil's RTE1080p engine runsa at the same, I don't see why the PS3 couldn't run a slightly larger resolution at 30fps?

Because the PS3 struggles to output true 1080p on full sized games... And 1440p is nearly twice the resolution of 1080p (around 80% larger). PSN games are a different matter. They usually don't use the lighting or textures of the BD games.

It's asking a lot for developers to make games with 80% more pixels when most of them are struggling with true 1080 for a television resolution that .00000000001% of the population will own. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
fazz said:
1440p... at 15 frames per second at most. Seriously, the PS3 is not THAT powerful.

no it could do it at 30fps stable for PSN titles only... like 10fps unstable for games on Blu-ray (retail)

What is your basis for this assertion?

512MBs of ram isnt enough for much

My question is really, why do you think that any publisher would release a game running at 10fps unstable at 1440p no matter what the delivery method?

they never would this is why I'm saying you will only see 1440p off the PSN.

I feel like we're going in circles here.  If you can do 1440p in a PSN game, what's stopping you from doing it in a Blu-ray disc game?

Because most PSN games don't have the detailed/expansive environments of a BD game. I don't think ssj is putting Warhawk in the "PSN" category for its more like a full-featured game than it is Super Stardust, which doesn't have fully rendered backgrounds.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

guys this is a total joke. the difference is not that significant between 1440p and 1080p. I mean you need at least a 40 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, so how big of a screen to tell the difference between 1440p and 1080p, 50 or 60 inches probably. Then we have the problem of their is no source of media that does 1440p. if you think devs are going to be able to do native 1440p games your nuts. maybe little psn games, but nothing substantial, they can't even do 1080p right now. all these games that are supposed 1080p, NGS, GT5, etc. are not really 1080p. the only application this has to PS3 is the fact that it would be possible to take a 1080p signal from a blu-ray movie and upscale it to 1440p, but really its not going to be much clearer at all. wait til 4k tvs come out, then it will be time for a new format and new resolution. note: most films max. out at 4k in terms of resolution, unless new technology is invented and used in films in the future anything beyond 4k is absolutely pointless. you are never going to be able to see Star Wars, LOTR, Batman, Spiderman, Wizard of Oz, etc. in anything better than 4k, its just not possible. plus the screens are going to have to be huge. imax is the only thing i know of that uses 4k.

ps3 runs in higher resolution than that 1700 by 1250 is lower resoluton than the 1920 by 1080 that the ps3 runs in because they run in difarent aspect ratios full hd on a comp is 1920 by 1200  but i thought u might have meant that but just didnt check if so than its the same resolution but comp screen are slightly taller regardless gears of war is sick whooo

Around the Network

ps4 dont worry lol

i looked up imax and the imax in most ciniplexes are only about 4 to 8 kbut full imax in all its glory like ones im museums or science centers can do the full 18k imax crazzyness aprox 252 pixels only about 100x the res of blue ray sick ehh 

I think you should know this benripdime, the site moderators do not take too kindly to thread necromancy usually. Well unless theres a really good reason for it.

Tease.

if i need a new tv for this, then forget it

otherwise all aboard!

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889