By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forget 1080p, GET 1440p!

I'll be happy if I get MGS4 in 640x480...

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Katilian said:
ssj12 said:
tk1797 said:
lol is there a tv that can display 1440p that the regular consumer can afford.

Sony;s 4k+ TVs are $70k so.. not yet... but once their OLED TVs become affordable then definitely.

While not a TV directly, Dell's 30" monitors (2560x1600) are only US$1,200. The reason their 4k+ tvs are so expensive isn't because they are LCDs/Plasmas, but because there is almost no demand for them (how many consumer devices support resolutions above 1080p?)

In regards to consoles doing it, this generation isn't really geared for it. Sure there will be simpler games which can 'push the limits', but the graphically impressive titles (which are where you'd notice/want the extra res anyway) are rarely above 720p.

well the TV can produce 4 separate screens that is 1080p each, imagine multiplayer split screen, each split being 1080p. 

While that would be great, I think consoles are a little lacking in the 'everything' department to really pull that off at the moment :P

Wonderful. Now when the Wii 2 comes out (with 1080p) the Sony fanboys will be saying, "OH MY GOD HOW CAN YOU EVEN PLAY THOSE LOW RES GAMES? ITS ALL ABOUT 1440p NOT CRAPPY 1080p!!"

ssj12 said:
fazz said:
1440p... at 15 frames per second at most. Seriously, the PS3 is not THAT powerful.

no it could do it at 30fps stable for PSN titles only... like 10fps unstable for games on Blu-ray (retail)

What is your basis for this assertion?

This is one reason I'm passing up Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Blu-Ray's fine if you've got a PS3, and yes, these movies do look better on 1080p TVs...but you're kidding yourself if you think 1080p will be the best TV resolution in 2 or 3 years.

Then we'll get "enhanced Blu-Rays" or "Blu-Ray 2.0" for the 2000p TVs or a resolution like that...and all the 1080p Blu-Rays won't be as good as they could be.

Meh.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
This is one reason I'm passing up Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Blu-Ray's fine if you've got a PS3, and yes, these movies do look better on 1080p TVs...but you're kidding yourself if you think 1080p will be the best TV resolution in 2 or 3 years.

Then we'll get "enhanced Blu-Rays" or "Blu-Ray 2.0" for the 2000p TVs or a resolution like that...and all the 1080p Blu-Rays won't be as good as they could be.

Meh.

not really 50GB is enough space for 1440p 

since Blu-ray can have up to 8 layers, thanks to TDK, it can fit 4k+ resolutions if needed. Blu-ray  = win.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
fazz said:
1440p... at 15 frames per second at most. Seriously, the PS3 is not THAT powerful.

no it could do it at 30fps stable for PSN titles only... like 10fps unstable for games on Blu-ray (retail)

512MBs of ram isnt  enough for much 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

would be quite all right!

ssj12 said:
Entroper said:
ssj12 said:
fazz said:

512MBs of ram isnt enough for much

My question is really, why do you think that any publisher would release a game running at 10fps unstable at 1440p no matter what the delivery method?

BenKenobi88 said:

Meh.

While I agree it will get better, I think it will be a lot longer than 2-3 years before there is any serious increase in size. Broadcast TV generally does not have the bandwidth at the moment to even do 1080p and a large number of consumers still consider standard definition 'good enough'. Even if an improved medium comes along to deliver it, a lot of people who are interested in this type of stuff will have already upgraded and will not be ready to upgrade again so soon.

And really, will anything larger really be that much better? At 2160p, for a 60" screen, you need to be sitting about 1m away to get the "full benifit" of it. Are people really going to notice a major difference between 1080p and 2160p at comfortable sitting distances?